St. Patrick's Day Meeting


Here's a photo of our local puppy raising group. What a fantastic and fabulous ensemble of humans and canines! (Cabana is to the far right with my husband.) Last night, we met at an outlet mall and had a bit of a hodge podge of St. Patrick's Day/Easter festivities. We got plastic Easter eggs with notes inside, kind of like a fortune cookie (can we throw some Chinese New Year into the holiday mix, too?). The notes took us to different stations, where we would have our puppies perform a certain behaviors.

Cabana did great on her sit-stay-come egg. She had to stay for a count of 25, which is a long time. I tried not to count too fast--don't want to go too easy on her! She sat like a statue, A+!

Unfortunately, Cabana didn't do so well with properly greeting another dog. She never even got to greet the other dog because her behavior leading up to it was horrific. But not surprising, based on yesterday's post regarding her big dog distraction issues!

And there's my segue. I enjoyed reading everyone's comments from my Tuesday Topic post--thanks for your input. As a first time raiser with almost zero dog experience of any kind, I can't tell you how helpful it is to get others' feedback. I was very grateful for the reminders of how young Cabana is (thanks, Lisa and Megan!). Again, since I have no other experiences for comparison, it's good to know that she's going to get it eventually (fingers crossed), and that her behavior falls in the spectrum of normalcy.

I will definitely keep working on getting Cabana to focus on me as people go by. By summertime, when people will be out walking by the dozens, maybe I'll even be able to enjoy seeing other folks and their dogs!

Here's the handsome Accord in his Irish hat (above). He looks thrilled to be wearing it, doesn't he?

And now it's Hamlin's turn. Also thrilled.


And finally, the fashion plate herself, Miss Cabana!

Lisa and pups  – (March 18, 2009 at 5:48 PM)  

She sports it so well! I love the name Cabana by the way! :D I like the egg idea - that's really clever! We might have to try that on our next get together.

Madison  – (March 18, 2009 at 6:04 PM)  

Looks like fun! I love her in the hat!

Cassie & The Dogs  – (March 18, 2009 at 6:23 PM)  

Accord doesn't look quite so irritated in your picture! He's got his mad face on in mine! I don't think that Cabana was *that* bad at greeting. She did get to where she could sit still and not approach Rose. At her age, it's ok. Everything is baby steps! Before she can do the whole thing, we have to take all the steps in between. You guys are working so hard with her that I have no doubt that she will be a star! And, always remember Costco! She has come SO far since then!

Megan and Orleans  – (March 18, 2009 at 7:40 PM)  

I love the hat, how cute. She doesn't look like she hates it too much. :D

Elizabeth and Peyton  – (March 18, 2009 at 9:23 PM)  

I love those puppies! Cabana looks adorable, and Accord looks very regal and handsome. :) Your club is pretty big compared to mine (and Mendocino's).

Taelor, Pilaf, and Cartier  – (March 19, 2009 at 3:50 PM)  

What a pretty girl!!! She looks really good it that stylish Irish hat! =D

And as for the dog distraction thing... I commented on the last post! =P

~Taelor, Franklin, and Pilaf

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP