I Believe in My Dog


I recently listened to the audiobook, This I Believe 2, which is an anthology of essays aired on NPR. One of the essays was written by a man who describes how he has become a better person because of his dog, Duncan. You can click here to read or listen to this essay. While you're there, I hope you will check out a few other essays as well. Some are funny, some are spiritual, some are heart-wrenching. All are interesting and thought-provoking.

I too believe that Cabana makes me a better person--which is why being a dog owner can sometimes be difficult for me! Growing and learning and changing aren't always pleasant--but when the opportunities to become better are the result of a sweet, fluffy, loving creature, the lessons are a bit more palatable. My struggle is in trying to slow down, enjoy life more, take advantage of the sunshine and scenery. Cabana makes me do those things, sometimes while I'm kicking and screaming against them inside--but when I manage to relent and let myself do nothing for even a few minutes, I realize that...it feels pretty good.

Becky Andrews  – (May 18, 2009 at 9:18 PM)  

Thanks for the link - Sounds like a great read. Agree re: our journey with our dog ... had an amazing session with our massage therapist in our office - we processed how my two guides were so different and they taught me what I needed to learn at that point ... Cricket is reminding me to have healthy balance and simplicity in my life to mention a few!

Carrie and Waffle  – (May 18, 2009 at 9:44 PM)  

I loved that series, I had wanted to write something about how raising, but never found time. thanks for the link

OSU 98  – (May 19, 2009 at 8:31 AM)  

Amazing how these furry ones make us slow down and smell the roses. Last night, after my softball game, I sat under a tree and threw Chelsie's rope kong for her. The sheer joy and plesaure she gets out of chasing her toy and sniffing the grass is contagious, and when she brings the kong back to me to throw it again, I can see the look on her face saying "This is great mom".

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP