Phew, Cabana's Okay


Yesterday, we went to my husband's company picnic. Cabana came with us, along with her tie-down stake. For the eating part of the picnic, I found a nice, shady, somewhat debris-free patch of grass, a short distance from the picnic tables where we were sitting, and secured Cabana there.

In the car ride on the way home, we noticed that Cabana was drooling. Not just a little, but big gobs of thick saliva. The whole underside of her face and neck was soaking wet. At first, I thought it was that she had just had a big drink of water--but even at home that evening, she was like a leaky faucet. I could see the drips of drool falling off her jowls as she sat.

I called my puppy group leader, and she told me to check Cabana's gums, teeth, throat, for anything that might be lodged there. I couldn't find anything. I didn't think she had swallowed much, other than a bit of grass, because I had been watching her fairly closely at the picnic.

When I looked it up online, there were tons of reasons why a dog might have excessive drooling--a cracked tooth, something lodged in the throat, poisoning, eating a frog (!). We decided to check back in with my puppy group leader in a hour. If things were worse, then we'd take Cabana to the emergency vet.

Thankfully, after Cabana ate dinner, she seemed much better. The drooling lessened, and Cabana acted perfectly normal. This morning, Cabana did have some very dark poops, so I guess she did eat something that upset her stomach. But other than that, she is fine.

I have always been so grateful that we haven't had any reason to take Cabana to the vet (and now that Guide Dogs has a bunch of new rules and regulations about vet visits, I've been doubly glad). I feared that our luck had run out last night--but phew, medical disaster was averted.


On another topic, here's a photo of my daughters, coming back from walking Cabana. Dogs are MUCH more willing subjects than daughters, as you can see how they did everything possible to NOT allow me to get a good photo of them. But I get the last word, since I posted the photo anyway!!

Heather and Kelly  – (August 9, 2009 at 12:38 PM)  

I had a scary time with Barrett with drool.
It was after he had been playing with me in the snow for awhile, and we had just come in and I had fed him dinner. I sent him to his dog bed so he wouldn't follow me, and awhile later I noticed that he was drooling, a lot. It wasn't thick, but he was dripping about a drip a second from each side of his mouth. I looked inside and didn't find anything, but I saw his mouth was really hot and red. I took him pee, which he did, and when we came back in he lay down again. But he kept drooling and looking miserable. I let it sit for awhile, but he didn't stop. I decided to take him out again, and when I put on his leash and released him from his bed, he just looked at me. I could tell something something was wrong when he looked like that, because Barrett ALWAYS loved to go out. Then he fell asleep, and didn't even wake up when I moved around. Usually he couldn't sleep when I was moving. I did talk to him and he woke up, which made me feel better.
It was also during the pet food salmonella outbreak, which kind of worried me.....
Barrett recovered completely by 11:00PM, and I still have no idea what went wrong. I have decided on a allergic reaction, but I don't know what. It's not like it was summer when there was a lot of weird things to eat!
I still would like to know what happened though.

Cassie & The Dogs  – (August 9, 2009 at 2:53 PM)  

Glad Cabana is feeling better! As good as our emergency clinic is, I didn't want her to have to go!
Funny, when I saw the picture of the girls, I totally thoght you were in front! So, from the top of your heads, you look just a like! :)

Taelor, Pilaf, and Cartier  – (August 9, 2009 at 4:01 PM)  

Awww, well I am glad Cabana was okay!

Your daughters look like they are having fun. Posting a picture like that is so something my mom would do. =P

Ally and Eclipse  – (August 9, 2009 at 4:06 PM)  

Eclipse did that one day too! He didn't get into anything he just started drooling excessively! It went away by the next morning but it was quite concerning!

Infrequent Flyers  – (August 9, 2009 at 4:50 PM)  

Ellie's mom and Ally, it's good to know other dogs do this sometimes, for unknown reasons. I won't be quite as alarmed if it happens again--although I wish I knew exactly what caused it, too!

Taelor, your mom must be super cool and awesome. ;)

Lisa and pups  – (August 9, 2009 at 5:01 PM)  

I'm relieved to hear Cabana's okay!

OSU 98  – (August 11, 2009 at 7:28 AM)  

You would think they would learn not to eat things they shouldn't...

BTW...I love the purse. :) It came on Thursday.

Becky Andrews  – (August 16, 2009 at 9:53 AM)  

So glad Cabana is okay! Love the picture and my kids agree re: pictures, but yes we take them anyway!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP