In's and Out's


This is Cabana's standard position during our dinnertime, half on her bed, half on the doormat. She lays exactly like this every night, patiently waiting until we are done eating. At 6:30, one of my daughters will enter the kitchen and open the drawer that holds Cabana's food. When Cabana hears that drawer open, her feet make a happy trot-trot-trot into the kitchen.

I always wondered why Cabana insists on laying like this, but after I took these photos, the reason dawned on me. She is facing in the direction of the kitchen, of course!

Cabana eats 2 cups for breakfast and 2 cups for dinner, which we mix with warm water. We are transitioning her from Science Diet Puppy to Science Diet Adult lamb and rice. Last night was the first time she had the puppy/adult mixture, and she hesitated a bit, probably thinking, "Whoa, what's this?! New food!"

I wouldn't call Cabana a fast eater or a slow one--she seems very medium. It takes her about 3-5 minutes to eat her 2 cups of food (I haven't actually timed her, so I'm guessing), and then she spends a minute carefully licking every iota of flavor from her bowl. Currently, she weighs 52 pounds.

Since I'm on the subject of what goes IN to Cabana, I'll say a brief word on what comes OUT. (I happen to enjoy bathroom subjects, especially since they are important when it comes to dogs--but if you're squeamish or gross out easily, click here to exit this post.)


Cabana has a very regular relieving pattern. She poops first thing in the morning, around dinnertime, and at bedtime.

One thing that my puppy group leader told me, which I found very helpful and somewhat fascinating, is that the more segmented the poop, the better the dog's digestion. So, if the poop comes out in big smooth lumps, the food is not being digested as well or as fully as if it comes out in lots of smaller pieces all stuck together. I know, I'm getting a little gross. But at least I'm able to tell that Cabana is digesting her food very well!!

Taelor, Pilaf, and Cartier  – (October 8, 2009 at 1:27 PM)  

I know I am a little late, but happy birthday to you amd Cabana!!! 1 year is such the milestone for a puppy raiser.

I know what you mean about the going into heat thing. Pilaf will be 1 in a few weeks, and she hasn't gone into heat either! Its been said that a dog either gets really calm, or really spazzy, but I don't think Pilaf can get any more exciteable so we are hoping for the calmer side of things. =P

Deborah  – (October 8, 2009 at 7:18 PM)  

Well, I have learned something new today! I never knew any of that!
She looks like such a nice dog! I give my dogs bisquets in the morning, then dinner at night!!

Becky Andrews  – (October 8, 2009 at 7:51 PM)  

Socute. Isn't it amazing how patient they are at waiting and watching for the dinner to come. I appreciate that Cricket is very 'regular and predictable' on what comes out.

Cassie & The Dogs  – (October 9, 2009 at 11:42 AM)  

Oh the knowledge those puppy leaders impart! Ha! Aren't you glad to know that you are not alone in your enjoyment of poo as a topic of conversation? I am vastly curious how many people clicked your link to avoid reading about it! I was all eyes! :)

Martha G  – (October 9, 2009 at 10:25 PM)  

I thought of this post today as I was picking up bagful after bagful of poo while walking dogs at the humane society this morning. It would appear most of the dogs don't digest their food very well.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP