Doggie Taj Mahal

driveway leading up to several large grey farm-style buildingsThis impressive compound is a dog training and boarding kennel about 2 miles from my house. This place offers just about everything--obedience and agility classes, canine good citizen testing, live-in training (like boarding school for dogs), a private dog park, doggie daycare, and even sheep herding!

three fenced grassy areas, backing up to a pretty mountainsideHere are their three fenced play areas, so you can pick what dogs you want yours to play with. Their winter hours, unfortunately, aren't convenient for me, so I won't be signing up yet--but maybe in the spring.
large sandy playyard with colorful plastic playground structures, like Little Tykes preschool playground equipment, lots of big colorful balls scattered about
Pictured below are the boarding kennels that open out onto a sandbed play area. I think it might come in as a close second to Guide Dogs for the Blind's play areas.

On our morning walks, Cabana and I often cross paths with Lesley, who is a dog trainer at this facility. Lesley has offered me a lot of good advice over the past year on our chance meetings. So, I was thrilled to sign up for a one-on-one consultation with her, which took place today.

I had thought about taking an obedience course here, but the 7-week course is $200--and I didn't want to sit there, watching other people teach their dogs to sit and stay and other things Cabana already does well. Actually, there are just a few itsy-bitsy things that Cabana needs help with (or rather, that I need help with so that I can teach Cabana).

One of those things is, of course, RECALL (so I won't have so many more stupidhead moves). The others are walking more politely on leash and not jumping on people. (Cabana doesn't jump on our family, only on other people, making it really hard to practice.)

The training session was FABULOUS, and I can't wait to start putting what I've learned into practice. Consider us "dog whisperered"!

Yesterday, Cabana had an appointment with our non-GDB veterinarian, so she could get her rabies booster and bordetella. She weighed in at a slender 53 pounds, and the vet said her weight is perfect. Cabana is now ready to rock and roll! (Though I think Cabana would say she's been ready to rock and roll for the past year.)

Credit for the post title goes to Nicole/OSU 98, for coining the term "doggie taj mahal".

Cassie & The Dogs  – (January 6, 2010 at 7:35 PM)  

Love that place! There is another doggy day care in town that has indoor play areas for dogs that looks interesting too. Our cats stayed there while we were gone for Christmas.

Glad to hear that training went well! I hope that you have all the whispering you need!

PS - we have exciting puppy news ;) Yippy!

OSU 98  – (January 6, 2010 at 8:17 PM)  

HOLY MOLY! This place is indeed the doggie taj mahal!!! WOW! I wish we had a training center like this 2 miles from us!

I hate to say it...but I will. I TOLD YOU she was not fat. Not even close.

Brittany  – (January 6, 2010 at 8:37 PM)  

That place looks VERY impressive! I am actually jealous that you live near it.

Glad to hear that your training session went so well!

Infrequent Flyers  – (January 6, 2010 at 9:44 PM)  

Cassie, can't wait to hear the puppy news!

OSU, thank you for reassuring me that Cabana wasn't fat! I needed that!!

Brittany, don't be too jealous! I will have to be extremely selective about what we utilize there, because it all comes with a hefty price tag. The only thing that's fairly reasonable is the private dog park, which is just $20/month in winter, $35/month the rest of the year. Everything else dents the wallet severely.

Lauren  – (January 6, 2010 at 10:43 PM)  

That most certainly is Doggie Taj Mahal. What an incredible training center! Glad to hear that Cabana's training session went well.

Katrin  – (January 7, 2010 at 5:22 AM)  

And that place would be my dream. When I win the lottery...Glad you had such a good lesson!

Katlynn and Ryder  – (January 7, 2010 at 4:05 PM)  

That is such a neat place! I would surely board my dogs there, it looks almost like a horse stable!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP