Wearing Pink in Winter

cute cabana looking up at me with shiny eyes and a pink nose
Lately, we've noticed that Cabana's nose is turning pink. It used to be 97.6% black (just a rough estimate), with a slight touch of pink at the 12:00 position. Here is her pink nose, photographed this morning.

The pigment change made me slightly concerned about Cabana's health, so I googled "dog's nose change color". It turns out that this is a common wintertime occurrence for certain breeds, which includes Labradors. Though nose color changes can also occur because of health issues or as a natural part of aging, if your dog seems otherwise healthy, the color change is nothing to worry about.

baby cabana at 4 months sitting outside on a walkMiss Fuzzy Face at 4 months old--you can see the 2.4% of pink around the top and edges of her nose. ;)

OSU 98  – (January 10, 2010 at 11:11 AM)  

Cabana, maybe you are a soft autumn? Pink is definitely your color.

Infrequent Flyers  – (January 10, 2010 at 11:32 AM)  

Wa ha ha!!! I think she's more as a winter myself--she looks great in black and red collars anyway!

Becky Andrews  – (January 10, 2010 at 12:43 PM)  

That's fun to know. I love my pink sweater for winter, too.

Coreena  – (January 10, 2010 at 1:32 PM)  

Eva's nose changed pink both last winter and it is starting to this winter too. It'll be interesting to see if it goes back to black in a couple months!

Golden Samantha  – (January 10, 2010 at 1:40 PM)  

Oh Cabana! How beautiful you are with pink or black nosie!!! Hope to meet you one day!
Hugs xo
Sammie

Emily and the Labradors  – (January 10, 2010 at 1:53 PM)  

Gelly used to have a cute little black nose, and now it is really very pink, and I think getting pinker every month! For her I think it is just part of her aging process, as I haven't seen any seasonal variation, and it only gets pinker, never blacker! The latest pictures on my blog really show how pink it is getting! But I think it is cute, even if it isn't good for a showdog ;)

Martha G  – (January 10, 2010 at 2:38 PM)  

Ardella's nose is doing the same thing. I wondered if it was going to be permanent.

Brandon - The dog with a blog  – (January 10, 2010 at 7:15 PM)  

Pink, one of my favorite colors!
She is so cute:)

Toby's Trainer (Raiser)
SEGDI Raiser

Ally and Eclipse  – (January 10, 2010 at 8:23 PM)  

Teddy and Kira's noses have never gone pink in the winter before, but they're getting a little lighter this winter. Hopefully they get dark again!

Her beauty spot it still gorgeous as is her "eyeliner" and her nose isn't too terribly pink, Iverson's got very pink and I wasn't a fan of it ;-)

Deborah  – (January 10, 2010 at 8:42 PM)  

Cabana, pink nose or not, you are still adorable!!

Ms. ~K  – (January 10, 2010 at 10:50 PM)  

Sassy's nose turned pink 3 winters ago and never returned to black!
Pink suits her just fine!!!
Hugs to Cabana,
~K

Emily and Joel  – (January 11, 2010 at 4:04 PM)  

Haha, Pepe's nose does that too. My mom works in a vet office, and apparently, it's called "Snow Nose" Cabana is soooo cute :)

Beth and Alfie  – (January 12, 2010 at 7:18 PM)  

The same thing happened with our first guide dog puppy, Willie (a yellow lab too) -- his nose didn't turn colors til after he went into advanced training, & then it was permanent. I had a hard time recognizing him at first with his new look, but now I think it's kinda cute! :-)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP