Bucky Backfire

cabana sitting in green field next to bucky, a stocky black dog of about 50 pounds, with a white patch on his chest, both dogs are looking in the opposite direction of each otherThis week, we are dog-sitting. Bucky's family is in Hawaii for two weeks--poor them. We'll have Bucky with us for one week, and then he'll stay with some other friends the following week.

Bucky is a sweet and affectionate 4-year old Lab mix of some sort and has been very well-trained. He is super polite, never crossing thresholds without permission. We don't even have a threshold into our kitchen, but he never comes into it uninvited. His favorite thing is to catch frisbees in mid-air.

Bucky's other favorite thing is PEOPLE--any people. Although he's never aggressive, he could care less about other dogs. In fact, when Cabana tries to engage him in play, he lays as still as possible on the floor, trying to pretend he's sleeping or perhaps even dead! After a few minutes of Cabana excitedly play nipping, panting, and cajoling, she gives up on him. Not exactly the outcome I had hoped for. I was excited to have Bucky come stay with us so Cabana would have a fun playmate, but that plan has totally backfired.

cabana and bucky sitting in same field, this time, bucky is looking toward cabana, cabana is looking toward camera with cute open mouthed smileIt's been interesting for me to have Bucky here. Now, 6 months since Cabana was career changed, after all my angst about whether to keep her as our pet, I have never had any regrets. In fact, I often thank my lucky stars, believing that truly there is no better dog in the world for us. But when I saw how people-oriented Bucky is, I confess that I wondered if it wouldn't be nice if Cabana was a bit more people-oriented, too.

That desire lasted about one hour, maybe two.

Since I'm primarily the one that's home with the dogs, I have become the center of Bucky's universe. He is ALWAYS so focused on me, waggling his whole body whenever I even glance his way--which is nice in some ways, but also a bit draining. Because he is so solicitous and always wants to be right next to me, it has made Cabana quite possessive. So she has to glom onto me, too, in order to claim me as her human. Now I know how it feels to be too popular. It's exhausting.

I'll take Cabana's independence over a dog with a "needy" disposition any day. Sure, we all adjust and get used to what we've got--but for me, this was confirmation that we really love and are grateful for Cabana, just the way she is.

Heather and Kelly  – (May 27, 2010 at 9:32 AM)  

With my first pup in training, Barrett, he became so attached to me I couldn't move an inch without him waking up and trying to see if I was going to get up. I stopped letting him follow me around--he had to stay on his bed unless I let him get up. If I went out of his sight he would start crawling off his bed and whining...sometimes even drooling because he was so anxious to know where I was.

You're right--it's really draining! I got so tired of him doing it, if he was my dog I would have just let him follow me around. I think eventually he would have gotten over it, but NEADS said that he wasn't allowed to be following me all over the house, so I had him stay on his bed. I think that made him more needy.

It is a toss-up sometimes...I also wish that Ellie wasn't so dog oriented, but I don't want her more people oriented either. Needy dogs are kind of like still having a little puppy....

JacksDad  – (May 27, 2010 at 4:42 PM)  

Jack loves everyone. Unfortunately not everyone wants to be loved, so we're working on that!

Carrie and Waffle  – (May 27, 2010 at 6:48 PM)  

I love the picture of Cabana looking into the camera, such a saucy little smile!

Waffle is needy too, she like to follow me around the house and just keep me in her line of vision. If I've been away, she need to touch part of my body to make sure I don't disappear. doesn't do this with mom only me. Lucky while velcro-ish it is not all that bad.

Dexter  – (May 29, 2010 at 5:37 PM)  

It isn't easy when both doggies want to be with you all the time. Funny how some doggies just like humans better than other dogs. I, myself, enjoy the company of both.

Slobbers,
Mango

Lauren  – (May 31, 2010 at 10:36 AM)  

Don sounds just like Cabana; he is definitely more of the independent type of dog. Those are some cute pictures of Bucky and Cabana- especially with Cabana's big grin.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP