New Dog Tag

cabana in a down on the sidewalk with her mouth open in a smileHOT weather has finally arrived! The weather has been unseasonably cool and rainy around here, and today was the first time I turned on my automatic sprinklers. This morning, we started our walk at 7:30, and it was already quite warm. Here, a happy Cabana practices down-stay in the shade.

closeup of the back of cabana's head, so you can see her red hawaiian collar, with silver tag affixed to itI just got this collar tag for Cabana, only $10.20 (which includes shipping and tax) from CollarTags.com. Engraved into the tag are Cabana's name, our home number, my cell number, and our full address. It slides right onto the collar, and I love the fact that this tag doesn't jingle! In fact, I CANNOT STAND the jingle factor! It is what makes me VERY bad about putting any tags on Cabana.

I do carry her ID tag and other tags (city license, rabies) in a compartment in my treat pouch--but if she got lost, fat lot of good the tags in my pouch would do. Sure, she does have the Guide Dogs tattoo in her ears, but not many people know what it means or would even think to look in there.

side view of cabana with collar and tagRecently, I saw an article in The Whole Dog Journal, about how important it is to keep an ID on your dog at all times. The writer says she recently found a dog lying dead on the highway with no tags. She writes that if the dog had been wearing ID tags, "at least I could call the owners and let them know that their dog had been killed. As sad as this news would be, I know I'd want someone to do that for me....Someone, somewhere, is still wondering what happened to their dog."

Cabana has never been lost (thank goodness), and though I'm fairly confident it wouldn't happen, it's far from impossible. I feel much better, knowing that if the worst should happen, I've made it easy for someone to get in touch with me.

Heather and Kelly  – (June 12, 2010 at 7:44 PM)  

Yes, I am often really surprised at how many people don't put tags on their dogs. Around here (my neighborhood), there are a lot of dogs with only rabies tags--which is way better than no tag, but still, it's much easier to find a dog's owner by a home phone number then by a vet's office.

I love the new tag! Also, beyond the no-jingle factor, it looks much sturdier than hang tags which come off a lot easier. There have been times when I've accidentally hooked the leash to the split ring that has the tag, and when the dog pulls, the ring just comes off. Then, you have an off-leash dog with no identification!

Plus, Cabana looks very sporting in her new tag :)

Beth and Alfie  – (June 12, 2010 at 7:47 PM)  

I LOVE that tag!! I too dislike the "jingle factor," and besides, that tag just looks cool! Good find. :-)

Lauren  – (June 12, 2010 at 8:51 PM)  

That's a really cool dog tag! It seems like it is more secure than a tag that hangs off the collar (I've seen them fall off before). That's such a pretty picture of Cabana lying down on her walk.

It is extremely hot here, too. Don absolutely refused to walk in the heat today!

Ally and Eclipse  – (June 12, 2010 at 9:11 PM)  

Good for you! We had a similar experience today, a small dog on the side of the highway dead. We stopped and looked for tags but there were none. We were more upset that the dog's owners likely didn't even know than that the dog had died although that's the worst part. Poor dog and poor owners... when we came back through the dog was gone although I doubt it was the owners, I hope someday they learn what happened to their darling little boy...

Dexter  – (June 13, 2010 at 5:15 AM)  

Momma likes the jingly on PeeWee because him being all black and everything can make him hard to see. But I bet your yellowness glows in the dark like a beacon.

Slobbers,
Mango

Maggie Mae and Max  – (June 13, 2010 at 9:59 AM)  

My mom says thanks for the link to the web site! My big sissy Samantha had one of those tags and mom couldn't remembers where she gots it from. Stay cool Cabana!

Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae

Dexter  – (June 13, 2010 at 10:26 AM)  

Ten cups a day. No joke. Big dog. Hehehe.

Slobbers,
Mango

Becky Andrews  – (June 13, 2010 at 12:03 PM)  

I really like your new collar, Cabana. Very cute and with all the key info on it - very important. Being blind, I do appreciate the jingle factor on the collar many times - other times when she is in harness and working I sometimes think we could be quieter. Hmmm - makes me do some thinking.

JacksDad  – (June 13, 2010 at 12:23 PM)  

I thought I was the only one who didn't like the jingling. I'll have to check into those collars!
Thanks!

Shelly :)  – (June 13, 2010 at 3:06 PM)  

Ohh I totally agree with you and the whole "jingle" thing. We have I think 3 pet silencers from GDB for when we puppy-sit. If not, masking tape works well. :)

I love her new tag though! How sparkly and shiny! :)

Sierra Rose  – (June 13, 2010 at 4:47 PM)  

Got me jinglers on...but, mom's got a keen eye over me as well... We have marked the website, neat collars!
Did you make it to the Italina St. Painting?
And....meet up for a play time soon? Novato some mid-morning???

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP