A Day with the Neighbor Lady

Yesterday was my husband's company picnic. Because the morning is spent on rented boats in a middle of a lake, dogs are not allowed to come. We'd be gone a long time, about 8 hours. Although I think Cabana could have held her bladder all that time, our neighbor two doors down adores Cabana and had been offering to watch Cabana for us, so I decided to take her up on the offer.

This neighbor is an older woman who used to have two doxies a while back. So she has some dog experience, but I was still really worried about leaving Cabana in her care. On one hand, I thought, why am I acting like an overprotective mother leaving her infant with a babysitter for the first time? But on the other hand, my excessive worrying made me realize that I was letting this neighbor watch Cabana as a favor to HER, rather than feeling she was doing a favor for us.

But I had already made the arrangements, and I knew this woman was REALLY looking forward to watching Cabana. I typed out a page of instructions and asked her to PLEASE not give Cabana too many treats (this neighbor keeps a whole tray of Milk Bones on her coffee table--I don't think any other dogs come over to her house, so I guess they're just meant for Cabana, in case we stop by).

sign hanging from a post that says Yellow Dog Winery, with a painted picture of a yellow dog thrusting his head toward the word dogI also told her that we had walked Cabana already and that I'd prefer that she not take Cabana anywhere (I had horrible visions of Cabana getting run over while in this woman's care, and then we'd have to move away because I'd be much too distraught to live near this neighbor anymore.)

We got home and picked Cabana up--and guess what? Cabana was fine! She wasn't road pizza, she hadn't swallowed poison, and the neighbor was all in one piece, too.

On our way home from the picnic, we passed this winery. It made me think of our little yellow dog, and I stepped on the gas pedal a little more firmly. Just a little.

same sign with the vineyards and a little house/winery in the background

Kari in Alaska  – (August 15, 2010 at 9:35 AM)  

Its always worrisome the first time you leave the pup with a new person! We understand.

Don't forget, we moved to http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

Becky Andrews  – (August 15, 2010 at 9:55 AM)  

Glad the day went well. I can SO relate. I remember the first time we left Cricket. I had a couple page list and was so worried. Lindsey came to pick her up and Cricket ran to her car and got in like see ya. Like you said, I feel much like I did when I left my young children!

Lisa and pups  – (August 15, 2010 at 12:01 PM)  

Glad everything went well. I totally understand the concern. It means you're a good doggy mom. Hope you had fun at the picnic.

Dexter  – (August 15, 2010 at 2:27 PM)  

It is not easy to leave your dogs with somebody else even if they seem like nice people. I have had times when I was only away overnight or for a long day like you and I still take the boys to the kennel where I know everybody and exactly what their day will be like. But Cabana is a more worldly gal than my guys. Sounds like everybody had a good day.

Mango Momma

JacksDad  – (August 15, 2010 at 3:33 PM)  

That's so funny because I was just thinking the same about Jack. It's like parents with a newborn! :)

Lauren  – (August 15, 2010 at 8:24 PM)  

That's great that Cabana was a good girl for the puppyistters! Way to go! It must be nice to have such an eager dog-sitter next door. That's so funny how she has an entire tray of Milk Bones on her coffee table- Cabana must have been very happy :D

I love the name of that winery :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP