Random Updates

After much coming and going of our family members in the past few weeks, it's comforting to have everyone under one roof again. With the new school year nipping at our heels, I'm hoping we'll all have a chance to catch our breath in these final weeks of summer vacation.

As for Cabana, she has been enjoying our cool summer. Temps have barely topped 80 degrees here--but I am sure we're in for a sweltering September and October. Below, Cabana found a softball in the grass last week, thankfully one that was not being currently used by softball players (she has been known to steal a ball in play a few times, much to my horror!).

The ball is way too big to fit comfortably in Cabana's mouth.

But it serves its purpose, since keepaway is the name of Cabana's favorite game. Keepaway is much more exciting to her than boring old fetch.


I feel like I don't get back to subjects of past posts, so I thought I'd give a few brief updates today.

Vizsla incident - Cabana seems pretty much back to normal after the scare with the Vizsla a few weeks ago. After being fairly convinced that Cabana had not been hurt but was barking/reacting for other reasons, about a week later, I found a dried scab maybe an inch long, on Cabana's side. I don't know why I hadn't been able to see the cut before, and by that time, it had healed completely. But it answered some questions I'd had. So she had been hurt, not badly, but maybe enough to make her flinch when being towel dried.

Shopping with Cabana - I appreciated everyone's input about taking dogs shopping. Overall, it seemed that blog readers are cautious about taking their pet dogs to stores, which is probably wise. One question that was raised was why we would want to take our dogs to stores. For me, the answer is that I still consider Cabana to be in training. I hope to get her into a therapy dog or reading buddy program--so the exposure and experience of being around strangers is important to me. In fact, I just turned in the paperwork for the Paws for Healing/Paws for Reading program. We will start class at the end of October!

Health issues - Several months ago, Cabana had some funny bumps on her paws. We thought they might be histiocytomas, which are benign tumors that are fairly common in the GDB population. They went away in a couple weeks and never caused any pain or further incident. I took Cabana to the vet last week for a routine check-up, and the doctor said Cabana looked great. I asked him about her weight (54.5 pounds) because I am now always paranoid that she's too plump. He said that her current weight is fine, but that she should not be allowed to get any bigger. Sigh. I try to be so careful about how much food/treats she gets, so I guess I will have to keep on being careful. I wish I could let her eat as much as she'd like! Must be a vicarious desire. I have more to say about food/treats, but since it's a mouthful, I'll save it for my next post.

Heather and Kelly  – (August 7, 2010 at 1:03 PM)  

Weight issues are tough. Wouldn't it be nice if dogs didn't get fat? There are many things I really need to work on with my new pup, but they're all issues that require many treats. She is by no means fat, she is actually skinny, but I want to keep it that way. So I just have to make sure she isn't eating too many treats and hope she doesn't get fat...

JacksDad  – (August 7, 2010 at 2:35 PM)  

Well, a lot of good news in this post. I'm glad that everything seems to be going so well.

I understand about the food issue - although I think Jack would never stop eating even AFTER he was full. And a 200 pound Lab is not a good thing! )

Golden Samantha  – (August 7, 2010 at 7:29 PM)  

Hi Mimi! Man, has it been waaaaaay too long! We miss you, but can go anywhere, do anything at this point with pupper, so hope we can get together again soon! We're going on vacay from 8/17 - 8/31, - hopefully when we get back? I am sooo glad to hear about all the issues that have been resolved with Cabana. But we DO worry about our pups when something happens to them or they don't feel good. (But Sam needs to lose about 5 lbs. at this point!) Maybe on our camping trip? Probably not hehehee! Give Cabana big belly rubs from us!
Hugs xoxoxo
Sammie and the rest of us here

Becky Andrews  – (August 8, 2010 at 7:38 AM)  

Have a friend that takes her cc'd dog to the school to read - sounds like an amazing program. Hope you have some nice last summer days. Agree, I feel like watching Cricket's weight is such an effort, but worth it.

Raiser Erin  – (August 8, 2010 at 8:19 AM)  

HAHA! Rocco's already 54 lbs!

I'm glad that she is better after her incident with the mean doggie.

Lisa and pups  – (August 8, 2010 at 4:09 PM)  

Glad to hear an update and that things are going well. Looks like Cabana had a great time playing with everyone. Glad she's back to her old self!

Beth and Alfie  – (August 9, 2010 at 2:39 PM)  

Good to hear the updates...glad the little bumps aren't an issue, and glad too that the Vizsla incident resolved w/ no ill effects.

I love the idea of the reading program. I have a feeling Cabana will be a natural for that.

Lauren  – (August 9, 2010 at 3:12 PM)  

It's been so cold here, it doesn't even feel like summer yet! That's great that Cabana has recovered from the Viszla incident!

That's so cool that you are doing the Paws for Reading program, I can't wait to here more about it. I'm sure Cabana will make a great reading dog!

Kari in Alaska  – (August 10, 2010 at 4:20 PM)  

im glad these updates were mostly good news!

don't forget, we moved to dogisgodinreverse.com

Sierra Rose  – (August 11, 2010 at 1:12 PM)  

Yay for Cabana and good health! Love the zoomie parkie shots :)
Sierra Rose joins us in any stores we can take her in for training, as well as being in a cooler place than a parking lot.
Great post!

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP