Male Bonding

Today, my wonderful and supportive husband went with me to volunteer at the shelter. Saturday isn't one of my normal volunteer days, but I was worried that with Easter tomorrow, a lot of the regular volunteers might not be able to make it. The training director and other volunteers were enthralled that I had brought my husband. There are woefully few male volunteers there for some reason. Perhaps it's the same reason why there are disproportionately few male puppy raisers? I figure it has to do with the nurturing instinct.

close up shot of a big black pit bull with a white streak near his nose, his eyes are squinting and he has his mouth open and tongue hanging out in a big expressive grinThis is Salem. I've been told that when he first came to the shelter, no one could get near him. But after tons of rehabilitative efforts, he is a gentle giant. Sweet as can be and look at that happy grin!

the black pit bull happily prancing down a narrow dirt corridor with weeds growing around the sides, corridor is flanked by a chicken mesh fence on one side and the side of a steel service building on the other side Here he is in the Chuck-It run. See what I mean about how narrow it is? A few more tennis balls bit the dust over the fence today.

side view of a black german shepherd with sable markings on his ears, eyebrows and legs, tongue hanging out in a relaxed wayMy husband had a German shepherd when he was growing up, so when I saw this shepherd mix come into the shelter, I hoped my husband would have a chance to meet him. I suspect this shepherd had a little to do with his decision to volunteer today...in addition to wanting to spend time with me, of course.

the shepherd eating kibble off a pink paper plate on the groundThis dog and another male German shepherd were picked up together as strays two weeks ago. I was shocked that the owners hadn't come to claim them. A few days ago, the other shepherd got a new home.

the shepherd resting his head on my husband's lap, as my husband bends his head down close to the dog while patting him on the backAnd this one is probably going to get adopted lickity split. Here he gets a cuddle on my husband's lap. The shepherd looks like he's about 2-years old, was super mellow once we got him out of the kennel, and walked calmly on leash for my husband. Yes, we'd kind of like to keep him for ourselves, but we know he doesn't need us. He'll be adopted so quickly that the shelter isn't even bothering to give him a name.

Kari in Alaska  – (April 23, 2011 at 8:32 PM)  

So nice of your hubs to come with you!

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Martha G  – (April 23, 2011 at 10:11 PM)  

I love the dogs' faces, both of them. Do you think your husband will start volunteering with you? How cool that he went with you! Is there a GS in your future - a dog for you and a dog for your husband?

JacksDad  – (April 23, 2011 at 10:21 PM)  

I think the husbands don't go with you because you would end up with more dogs at home than you could handle! :)

Raiser Erin  – (April 24, 2011 at 12:31 AM)  

I love Salem. He looks so sweet and I generally don't like pit bulls.

It's so great that your husband came with you. :)

D.K. Wall  – (April 24, 2011 at 5:07 AM)  

Looks like the Shepherd knows how to work the "adopt me" face.

Dexter  – (April 24, 2011 at 11:17 AM)  

Hey you guys, we use iMovie on our apple computer to make our movies. Easy as can be.

Slobbers,
Mango

Lisa and pups  – (April 24, 2011 at 6:58 PM)  

What handsome puppies. And, how fun your husband went with you! That is so nice you do that for the local shelter!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP