Time for Dinner, Time for Dinner

cabana sitting on striped kitchen rug with food bowl and treat ball in front of her, waiting to be released to eatEvery morning, either my husband or I feed Cabana her breakfast. The first person up feeds her, while the lollygagger makes the bed. It's pretty much 50-50 which of us does which task. We measure out one and one third cup of food, then we take about 40 pieces of kibble from Cabana's bowl and put it in her Everlasting Treat Ball. (I'm a bit wacky, so I actually count out 40 pieces each time. I think my husband puts fewer pieces in the treat ball when he does it.) Then, we add warm water to make a nice gravy. Here, Cabana waits patiently while I take a few photos and tell her "okay" so she can start eating.

cabana tucking into her food, yummyCabana always eats what's in her bowl first, then picks up the treat ball and takes it into the living room to dispense. When the treat ball is empty, she comes back to her bowl and licks up every bit of flavor.

At dinnertime, our daughters take turns feeding Cabana another cup and a third. But memories are short, and we often can't remember who fed Cabana the night before. Last night, both daughters thought it was their turn, and Cabana accidentally got fed twice!! Of course, Cabana didn't let on that she'd already eaten, less than 10 minutes ago. There was no telltale body language to give anyone a clue--but I bet the wheels in her brain were just churning, "Wow, another dinner! These forgetful humans are awesome!"

Kari in Alaska  – (April 29, 2011 at 8:41 AM)  

Mesa always pretends we forgot to feed her dinner. Baily is always our giveaway

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Amanda  – (April 29, 2011 at 9:02 AM)  

Wow! Kyle and Rio would LOVE an extra dinner. :)

Amber-Mae  – (April 29, 2011 at 9:12 AM)  

OH that has happened to us a couple of times too. Sometimes our hoomies don't "communicate" with each other so if we're lucky, we get double meals too!

JacksDad  – (April 29, 2011 at 1:01 PM)  

Jack does the same. He will lie to your face and tell you that he hasn't been fed in months! :)

Becky Andrews  – (April 29, 2011 at 3:05 PM)  

That is so funny. Cricket and I just had this experience. I fed her - went to the computer and came back in the room and she was sitting by her bowl. I couldn't remember if I had fed her (becomes so automatic). I decided I'd give her water and if I'd fed her that would be good enough. When she looks at her water in disgust it means she's expecting food. She drank her water and helped my memory. Love these dogs!

Mandy and Supreme  – (April 29, 2011 at 4:12 PM)  

ha I love this. Back when we all lived under one roof my family members would have to leave each other notes on his food container that read something like, "Do not believe Hero's dinner-dance, I've already fed him." Still, he's had his fair share of double meals. Keep it up, Cabana - outsmart those human beings!

Hobbes Dogs  – (April 29, 2011 at 6:14 PM)  

Yep, that's happened (more than once!) at our house too.

I think my dogs react the same as Cabana - "Yay, more food, what a nice treat." On the other hand, I bet my parents' dog thinks "YES ... my master plan is succeeding ... I'm learning to control these humans with my mind!"

OSU 98  – (April 29, 2011 at 6:25 PM)  

Jackpot, Cabana...trust me, we are never that lucky!

Love, Acie and Chelsie

She is very focused on her breakfast. Breakfast is the most important event in Ace's day...he jumps around like a madman when he hears the magic words "Its time".

Ace and Chelsie's owner :)

D.K. Wall  – (April 30, 2011 at 4:57 AM)  

Score! Way to go, Cabana. Our humans don't THINK we have ever gotten away with that one, but we would sure never tell.

Min  – (April 30, 2011 at 10:17 AM)  

My family's bad communication skills resulted in Bella getting three dinners. I ended up keeping a dry erase board next to her food so that we could mark down how many times she was fed. Lucky Bella!

Rosalee Bloss  – (April 30, 2011 at 8:43 PM)  

I don't know if this will help. This is what my Mom used to do when I was a kid. She assigned one of us "even days" and the other "odd days". That way no one has to keep track. :o)

Carrie and Waffle  – (May 1, 2011 at 9:33 PM)  

wow that pic is so Waffle, just color her black and add two long stands of dog drool and that's her! Waffle dreams of forgetful humans, but so far no luck.

Beth and Alfie  – (May 4, 2011 at 6:50 AM)  

Cabana's adorable! I bet Alfie wishes we'd give HIM double dinner. However -- it's always easy to tell if he's just eaten because he sits down and licks his whiskers clean like a cat, haha!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP