Fostering Seamus

The potential adopter never came back for Seamus, so yesterday, we brought him home for a 3-day mini foster. I still have hopes that the big man will come back to adopt Seamus, but in the meantime...we are enjoying him in our home.

After the initial stress of coming to a new place, Seamus has settled down beautifully. We kept him on tie-down for the first few hours, but he earned his freedom to be loose downstairs quickly. He seems to make mistakes once but when we tell him "no", he doesn't do it again. For instance, he "marked" our chair in the family room, but I told him "no" and took him outside immediately. Now he hasn't had any more accidents. Same goes for counter surfing, grabbing and chewing blankets, and picking up shoes--he tried them all once but doesn't persist after being shown that it's not appreciated.

Of course, Cabana is thrilled to have Seamus here and is very good-natured about sharing everything with him--her beds, her ottoman, her antlers and toys, and her humans.

Amazingly, Seamus fits through Cabana's doggy door! He does have to hunker down a bit, but he seems to love the novelty of being able to go in and out at his discretion, so he does it often.


This morning, my husband and I walked Seamus and Cabana, with a stop at our favorite park, where we saw all our weekend doggy pals. I brought a drag line for Seamus, but he didn't even need it. He was GREAT with every dog he met, and he stayed pretty close by. If he started to venture too far, I'd call his name (which he doesn't even know very well), and he'd come running. It took me a year to teach Cabana to do that! Seamus doesn't know any verbal commands, but he's great about understanding what we want and so eager to please us.

Our dog park friends said that we should adopt him NOW and not fool around with this fostering stuff. One guy at the park even said we'd never hear the end of it if we don't adopt him, and he offered to take care of Seamus for us every time we go on vacation!

Seamus does get along beautifully with our family and especially with Cabana. I could easily love Seamus, but I'm not convinced about keeping him. After all, he's a great dog that anyone would love, and my goal is to find a wonderful home for him. More specifically, a home that is NOT our wonderful home!

Kari in Alaska  – (May 8, 2011 at 2:08 PM)  

uh oh, I think your resolve is weakening ;)

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Brittany  – (May 8, 2011 at 3:23 PM)  

Ship him to me!!!! He is gorgeous!! Seriously, if I lived close, my husband and I would take him in a second.

Martha G  – (May 8, 2011 at 4:04 PM)  

Oh, he's gorgeous and a winner to boot! Think about it some more! Signed, your enabling friend.

Lisa and pups  – (May 8, 2011 at 5:49 PM)  

Oh, he seems like a great dog and kudos to Cabana for being such a good host pup!

Becky Andrews  – (May 8, 2011 at 6:16 PM)  

Wow it sounds like Seamus fit in so nicely to your home and family. Hope he finds a nice home either yours or another one soon!

Amber-Mae  – (May 9, 2011 at 2:21 AM)  

I really think you should keep him. He sounds like a good dog & he fits perfectly in your home. Cabana loves him too. Perhaps you should think about it some more. You might change your mind.

Erin  – (May 9, 2011 at 7:06 AM)  

.....Not going to adopt him eh?? Look at those eyes!!! That fur! He looks like a great dog!! :)))))

JacksDad  – (May 9, 2011 at 3:09 PM)  

You hit the nail on the head about why I can't foster. I would end up with 20 dogs living at my house, because I don't think I could give them up! :)

Meghan  – (May 10, 2011 at 12:57 PM)  

Aw, sounds like you've had a great time with the big boy. I have a total soft spot for sheps, so am rooting a bit for you to keep him, because I know he would get all he deserves, but I am sure he could get that with another great home, too. If you keep him, you know you have a boy who fits into your home, but if you don't, you've got a spot to foster more pups and elp them on their way to froever families. I am very attracted to fostering and think I will probably do it down the road. I like the thought of dogs who are here for awhile, and I also like the thought of no long-term commitment and happy goodbyes as the dogs go onto happy forever families. I have a terrier who is 11, and I dread the day I have to say goodbye to him. Puppy raising and fostering allow you to let go of a dog wile still happy and healthy and allow you to know you will be giving that dog and many after him a better chance at forever in an ideal home.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP