Two Days In

cabana and francie in the kitchen, chowing down, with their food bowls about 3 feet from each otherTwo days into fostering Francie, and we are settling in okay. It's not easy, but it's not terrible. This morning, I fed the dogs near each other, which was a baby step in the right direction. Neither of them are food guarders. Francie was only eating about half her food when we first brought her home (she never ate much at the shelter either), but I'm happy to see that her appetite has improved greatly. She still leaves a bit of food in her dish, which I've been letting Cabana finish eating--I want her to feel there are at least a few perks to having Francie in the house.

cabana sitting in the foreground, licking her lips as a sign of discomfort, francie is laying behind herI took these photos a few minutes ago, and in reviewing them, Cabana's discomfort is evident in each one. Cabana tolerates Francie, but she doesn't enjoy her one bit.

francie has gotten up and walked to the other side of cabana, still sitting in the same position, cabana's ears are tucked way back on her head and has a doleful look on her faceFrancie is just so bossy. If Cabana is sitting near me, Francie comes over and makes Cabana move, then she lays all over me, trying to claim me. Whenever she does stuff like this, I put her on tie-down or in her crate. It seems to be working because Francie is getting slightly less bossy. Just slightly, though.

francie now sitting closer to me than cabana, both dogs looking off in same direction, cabana looks like she's avoiding francie and leaning away from her to create more space between themI feel bad when I restrain or confine Francie, but that's the only way that Cabana can relax. (FYI, I never leave the dogs alone together.) I was telling my shelter volunteer friend about how guilty I feel, and she reminded me that up until two days ago, Francie lived in a concrete cell with one hour of exercise and interaction if she was lucky. Now, she has a soft bed, a doggy door leading out to a yard, plenty of exercise, lots of cuddles, and a clean, quiet, stable environment.

a little tan and white pit bull laying on pavement with his legs splayed playfully out to the sides, he has a couple chewed up toys in front of him, and his tongue is hanging out, looking happy and relaxedAnother volunteer told me that the dog above got put down at the shelter today. He bit someone the day after Francie did. The story is that someone stuck their fingers through his kennel bars, and he bit them. I don't know how much damage he did. Francie's bite was accidental, but this dog's was on purpose, I guess you could say. I still don't think it warrants losing his life, but that's the way the shelter is doing things now. So I'm glad Francie is out of there; otherwise, she'd be in their freezer.

Kari in Alaska  – (July 21, 2011 at 8:12 AM)  

I am SO GLAD Francine is out of there

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Tessa99999  – (July 21, 2011 at 11:51 AM)  

Awww the dog that was put down was such a beauty though! Francie has the cutest big ol' ears ever! I'm glad that there are some improvements with her and Cabana, no matter how small. Don't feel bad. You should feel great! You're doing a great thing, and trying to keep Cabana's discomfort to a minimum. That's probably the best thing you can do. Francie will get the hand of things and how your family runs with a little time. Cabana's a great dog; surely more of her discomfort will ease up once Francie understands the pecking order a bit better. Keep up the awesome work!

Min  – (July 21, 2011 at 4:44 PM)  

Cabana will teach Francie all her good habits in no time! You have such a big heart, Mimi.

Becky Andrews  – (July 22, 2011 at 9:35 PM)  

Wow. I have learned so much about this whole journey from you. You have such a kind, loving heart. Inspired.

Dexter  – (July 23, 2011 at 2:16 AM)  

Poor Cabana. Labs are so tolerant so I guess she is just toughing it out with Francine. Hopefully her steady demeanor will rub off a bit.

Mango Momma

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP