A Family for Kira

cabana and kira laying on the living room floor, kira is saying, Kira came to our house 19 days ago (not sure about the hours and minutes), which may not be such a long time, but it was our longest foster period to date (Francie, our longest before Kira, was here for 8 days).

The first few days were extremely difficult, due to Kira's parvo quarantine, along with the fact that she was so fearful, knew absolutely nothing about living in a house, and was just a puppy. I remember the first night, I couldn't be out of her sight for even one minute without her barking from fear. I played peek-a-boo games with her, by leaving her in the ex-pen in the backyard and walking around the corner of the house where she couldn't see me. I'd count 1-one thousand, 2-one thousand...until eventually, I was able to count to 20 without her having a barking fit. With all the instability in her life, she needed to learn that I was going to come back. Every day since, she has amazed me with her resilience, intelligence, and desire to please.

kira standing with a yellow dog who looks a bit like cabana but is a male shar peiAfter several adopters fell through this past week, I was contacted by a woman who lives about 30 miles from us. She had seen my Craig's List post, fallen in love with Kira's photos and description, and emailed me twice and left me a voicemail, all in the space of an hour. She said she didn't mean to be a pest, but she wanted to make sure I was getting her messages. I thought, wow, THIS is someone who is REALLY interested in Kira.

We made arrangements for Kira and me to visit them yesterday morning. I met the woman and her husband of 23 years in their home, where they live with their 18-year old son and 12-year old daughter. They also have three race horses, two cats, and a 7-year old male shar pei. Their 14-year old German shepherd/Rottweiler mix died recently, and their shar pei has been very lonely.

kira and the shar pei standing on the other side of the fence from a large brown racehorseThe shar pei liked Kira instantly, and although Kira was a bit shy, I knew she'd warm up to all of them. I wasn't sure how Kira would do around the horses, but she was much braver than I had anticipated. She was much better than Cabana would have been, for sure, and I was so proud of her.

The family fell in love with Kira's sweetness and said they were ready to take her that afternoon. So I took Kira home, brushed her for the last time, and took some final photos to remember her by.

a composite of photos of me and kira, she is giving me kisses and I am laughingI'm grateful to you all, my blog readers, for following Kira's story. I felt your support and encouragement throughout, and I know you share my happiness. The perfect family did come along, and Kira is going to have a wonderful life. I will miss Kira and the way she would give me thank-you kisses before eating her food, how she always wanted whatever Cabana had, and especially how she followed Cabana around, worshiping at her heels. I wonder if Cabana will miss her or if she's just happy to have everything back to normal. Probably some of both.

Raiser Erin  – (September 2, 2011 at 8:28 AM)  

Hooray for Kira!!!! So glad she's found her forever family! :D

L^2  – (September 2, 2011 at 9:48 AM)  

Yay! Congrats to Kira on her new home, and congrats to you on another job well done.

Beth and Alfie  – (September 2, 2011 at 9:54 AM)  

Oh, that's great news! Sounds like Kira's new family is a perfect fit.

Kari in Alaska  – (September 2, 2011 at 10:58 AM)  

HOORAY KIRA!!!!

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Erin  – (September 2, 2011 at 12:50 PM)  

AWww!! So happy what a great family! Loved the photos of you two!! ;)

Dexter  – (September 2, 2011 at 4:19 PM)  

Good luck Kira! I think you are going to have a wonderful life!

Slobbers,
mango

Martha G  – (September 2, 2011 at 4:47 PM)  

Good job! You even found her a family with another dog! So, what's next?

Min  – (September 2, 2011 at 5:35 PM)  

Hurray! Can't wait to see which dog you save next ;)

Becky Andrews  – (September 2, 2011 at 9:17 PM)  

So inspiring!! Hooray to a happy ending.

JacksDad  – (September 2, 2011 at 11:25 PM)  

What a wonderful thing you have done! Thank you for sharing Kira with us.

Anonymous –   – (September 3, 2011 at 1:59 PM)  

Yippee for Kira!! We'll miss her, but I'm so happy for her new home - it sounds wonderful!

Tessa99999  – (September 4, 2011 at 9:58 PM)  

Huzzah! =) Told you she would find the perfect home! Good job! I'm sure Cabana will miss her and enjoy having her home back.

Susan Campisi  – (September 4, 2011 at 10:40 PM)  

Wow. You work so fast! Congrats on finding Kira the perfect home! You're such an amazing foster mom. Great work.

Anonymous –   – (September 7, 2011 at 8:33 AM)  

Way to go!! Sounds like a great matcH! I love placing my rescues in families with other animals where they will have company and be loved by so many :)

Lauren  – (September 8, 2011 at 10:21 AM)  

Mimi, I am so happy for Kira! I'm also so glad that you persevered through the first few days - I know how rough they were for ALL of you! You did a great job! Kira's story is a success!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP