Back to Rescue

I haven't been volunteering at the city shelter for a long time now, and honestly, I don't think I will be going back there anytime soon. There was a lot of ugliness happening, and I'm not ready for more drama. But this weekend, when my friend Sue asked me to help with some new shepherd mixes at Big Dog Rescue, I couldn't turn her down. I'm such a sucker for shepherd mixes.

two large tan dogs with black muzzles behind a kennel grate, both with mouths open and tongues out, one with short hair, one with long hairWe think these dogs are German shepherd/Anatolian mixes. These big girls, brought in together and possibly related, didn't know a thing, but they were as sweet as could be. I could not for the life of me get the short-haired one to sit. She simply would not be lured--but that just means I need to go back and work on it with her some more.

close up of the long haired shepherd mix, pretty face with tongue hanging outThis fluffy one is named Mocha. That blonde long-haired coat--gorgeous!

long haired shepherd mix standing and looking through fence at a small 10-pound dog with a sweater on, shepherd mix is in a relaxed but curious stance with tongue hanging outWe were told both girls were aggressive toward little dogs. Hard to say for sure with the fence in between, but Mocha didn't seem too bothered by little Maddy.

pretty white dog with hints of gold, curled up inside dog house, she has a pointy black nose and long earsThis gorgeous white shepherd mix was fearful, preferring the safety of her little house. But I heard she got adopted a couple days ago--hooray! She deserves a terrific home, and I know she will warm up to be a fabulous companion.

happy smiling dog that looks like a golden retriever/pomeranian mix, hard to say what breed exactly, but cute and smiley and fluffy, sitting on a gravel pathAnd this lucky dog is getting adopted by someone in Sue's family! That's one of the perks of helping at a dog rescue--you get first pick!

Kari in Alaska  – (January 10, 2012 at 7:36 PM)  

I used to volunteer at Oakland Animal Control but the ugliness there drove me away so I understand

Stop on by for a visit
Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Martha G  – (January 11, 2012 at 9:28 PM)  

I'm afraid my days at the humane society are over, too. I think my last volunteer job was just too full of the sadness of humanity. I can't bear to see people give up animals they can't afford to keep. I prefer rescue and I'll be back there one day. Meanwhile, I loved the post on Big Dog Rescue back when you first posted it, so great choice! The shepherds are beautiful!

All4UrPet  – (January 13, 2012 at 6:08 AM)  

I've done some volunteer work for a place where I'm from, and it's the hardest and simultaneously most rewarding job a person can do. But I agree with you... it definitely gets hard, and things like drama can get in the way very easily. It was so nice of you to go help out, and the dogs you worked with are absolutely beautiful! I'm so glad the lab in the last picture is going to a good home! Every dog deserves that :) Good luck to you and all of your endeavors!

LizAnn
All4UrPet Representative
http://all4urpet.com/

Check out the App store for Android and iPhone to download our mobile application! Simply search All4UrPet.

Min  – (January 13, 2012 at 9:10 AM)  

I admire your commitment to helping these wonderful dogs, Mimi! Keep up the good work.

JennBristol  – (January 17, 2012 at 7:24 PM)  

The shepherds are beautiful. Glad you can help them.
-Jennifer
www.thattouchofpit.wordpress.com

Tessa99999  – (January 21, 2012 at 9:30 PM)  

Love the Shepherds!! =D (And the mixes too!)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP