Road Trip with Cabana - Sellwood

Portland is divided up into neatly defined neighborhoods. We rented a tiny house in the Sellwood-Moreland neighborhood, which is southeastern Portland. It was a bit of a shot in the dark, choosing to stay in that neighborhood, but we truly LOVED it. We could walk to dozens of wonderful shops and restaurants, most important of which was Dairy Queen. It was less than a block from our house, and my husband has loved DQ Peanut Buster Parfaits (glorified soft serve ice cream topped with chocolate sauce and peanuts) since he was a little tyke. He and my daughters went there pretty much every day. Lucky for them and unlike me, they are all slim and can eat whatever they want without repercussion. Darn them.

Normally, we are frugal folk. It's rare that we even splurge on Starbucks, but on this trip, I didn't cook a darn thing. Not even a single cup of coffee! With so many coffee shops to choose from down the street, we bought coffee every morning and ate out for every meal. Now, that's what I call a true vacation.

Marsee Baking was a couple blocks from the house, and we ate there on our last morning. I had one of their famous "eggles"--a bagel with egg and veggies, yum.

Oaks Bottom Wildlife Refuge and the Willamette Riverfront were a short walk from our house. Cabana and I walked there several mornings. Here in the distance, you can see the wildlife mural, painted on the side of the Portland Memorial Mausoleum.

I loved being able to see so much of Portland from this dock. Isn't it beautiful? Portland has to be one of the prettiest cities in the world.

Sellwood Riverfront Park has an off-leash dog area, which included these stairs leading down to the river. Cabana was her usual un-swimming self. She liked having her paws in the water, but she didn't want to step down any deeper than this.

Here, she skirts around the edges of the rocky banks, carefully picking her way. Someday, I hope she will realize that she's a lab and that swimming is much more fun than walking on rocky river beds.

After exploring for a few minutes, she managed to find a rock to stand on and promptly got stuck. She was afraid to step back down into the water! I called to her, even held out treats to entice her back to shore, but no, she could not be cajoled. Finally, I had to take off my shoes and socks and wade out to get her. I thought I might have to lug all 56 pounds of her back to dry land, but once I clipped the leash on her collar, she became brave enough to step back into the water. It turned out that the water wasn't even up to my knee! The things I do for this silly dog!

Matilda the Boxer  – (July 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM)  

I'm with Cabana -- wading is MUCH more fun than swimming. Looks like a grreat time!

3 labs 4 me  – (July 16, 2012 at 3:00 PM)  

Hi Mimi, I'm Becky's friend Debi & I live in the Portland area. Glad you & your family enjoyed our wonderful city. We love living here. Some times as we head out for a hike in the mountains or the gorge, we can't believe that we live here. So many people come to visit just to hike our beautiful trails. How lucky are we that we live here! **Side comment: Do you remember meeting me the last time that I was with Becky in San Rafael? Next time you come to Portland, call me & we'll get together.

Min  – (July 16, 2012 at 3:50 PM)  

That last part about you having to save Cabana reminds me of Bella. She hates the water unless we're in it with her.

Infrequent Flyers  – (July 16, 2012 at 4:35 PM)  

Debi, yes, I do remember you! I didn't remember that you were from Portland, though. That would be so fun to get together next time. Cabana would love playing with your three labs!

Lisa and pups  – (July 16, 2012 at 6:33 PM)  

Oh Cabana sounds like such a hoot with her prissy paws! :) Glad you had such a great time and she got to join you on your vacation!

3 labs 4 me  – (July 18, 2012 at 9:03 PM)  

Well, Desma is 12 yrs. & doesn't play too much, but Dakota who is 12 would play a bit. Culver would love to play anytime & he's 3 yrs. old. Next time you're in town, please call & it would be fun to get together.

Dexter  – (July 21, 2012 at 3:49 AM)  

Oh Cabana! Did you get short changed on the water dog genes?

Mango Momma

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP