Beach Resolution 2012

Cabana and I love going to the off-leash dog beach, and it's an absolute CRIME that we go there just once or twice a year. We only live 30 minutes away, but we don't go more often because (these reasons need to be read in a high-pitched whiny voice) it's almost always foggy and windy on the coast, Cabana gets all sandy and stinky, and it costs $7.00 to park our dern vehicle.

But our crazy northern California temperatures have been in the 70s this past week, and since the coast was clear (ha ha, by that I mean no fog), I made it a priority to go there. And this time, we got to go with our friend Susan and her English Springer Spaniel, Maggie.

Cabana has lots of doggy pals, but none are as special to her as Maggie. I don't think it's anthropomorphizing to say that they are true friends. When Cabana and Maggie see each other, it is pure joy--for them and for anyone who is watching. In fact, people at the dog park comment all the time on how these two girls play. They sneak up on each other, pounce, go for the other's hind legs, while all the time running and rolling and growling playfully. They never get upset with each other--they just are so comfortable and in sync when they play. I never get tired of watching them.

Cabana thinks the beach is great no matter what, but being there with Maggie was really the icing on the cake.

I hereby resolve to go to the beach more often this year, at least 6 times. So this was my first time in 2012--I'll post about our 5 subsequent visits, so keep me accountable! This was Maggie's first time ever at this dog beach, but I'm sure she'll be back. Hopefully, with us!

Mandy and Supreme  – (February 24, 2012 at 12:56 PM)  

have you read Patricia McConnell's post about doggie friendships? It's really cool: http://www.theotherendoftheleash.com/youve-got-a-friend

That dog beach looks gorgeous, no matter what the temperature!

JacksDad  – (February 24, 2012 at 1:05 PM)  

Make it 12 times and you got a deal! :)

Infrequent Flyers  – (February 24, 2012 at 1:09 PM)  

Thanks, Mandy! I hadn't read that article before, even though I love Patricia McConnell's books. Thank you--it was the perfect article for what I wanted to convey. I think dog friendship is way more than just preference. Like humans, sometimes dogs just click with another dog, for reasons that can't be put into words (or barks).

Infrequent Flyers  – (February 24, 2012 at 1:19 PM)  

Ohhh JackDaddy, way to throw down that gauntlet! 12 times, I don't know...even 6 was a stretch!

Becky Andrews  – (February 24, 2012 at 2:11 PM)  

Wow. Sounds wonderful! My high pitch whiney voice :) is wishing for your weather right now! Enjoy.

The World According to Garth Riley  – (February 24, 2012 at 4:33 PM)  

The beach looks great! And that's a very nice resolution!

Cassie & The Dogs  – (February 24, 2012 at 6:54 PM)  

Dagan votes for 12 visits too! He lives just about 15 minutes from that beach and doesn't think he goes nearly enough! The tricks?? Go later in the afternoon - after 4, their toll booth is closed and its free to go in ;) And call Dagan - he's always game for a trip out there!

Sierra Rose  – (February 24, 2012 at 10:46 PM)  

What a great time! It has been sooooo warm the past few days! What a treat to play on the beach :)

Big hugs!
Sierra Rose

Wendy  – (February 24, 2012 at 10:47 PM)  

Awesome! Allie would have LOVED an off-leash beach. Maybe when she graduates her "forever person" will live near one & be able to take her. lol She LOVES the beach, or water of any kind.

Erin  – (February 29, 2012 at 4:11 PM)  

I concur with your comment to Mandy, my dachshund Bubbles has been through 15 dogs in and out of my house, big, little..etc..Texas is definitely her "soul mate" if you will. I don't know what Tex will do when she leaves. :(

Min  – (March 9, 2012 at 9:23 PM)  

I wish Bella enjoyed the beach. I guess we can be thankful that she stays clean?

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP