Oh, The Blood and The Guilt


Most likely, all puppy raisers have done this at some point--and today, it was my turn. I was trimming Cabana's toenails, and oooh, I clipped one too short. I barely clipped anything off, but it was still too much. Poor Cabana let out a quick yelp and began to bleed profusely. We were on the carpet, which is very unforgiving beige, so I picked her up and took her to the kitchen where we have hardwood floors.

No, I didn't have any styptic powder--because I didn't think I was ever going to make a mistake and cut her nails too short, you see. I thought I was the goddess of toenail clipping and that I was above such clumsy mistakes.

I tried to put pressure on the offended toe with a paper towel, but Cabana just kept trying to eat the paper towel and wouldn't cooperate. She scampered all over the kitchen and back into the living room, leaving a trail like Freddie Krueger.

Finally, after 15 minutes and no end in sight to the bloodletting, I had to put Cabana in her crate and dash out to buy some styptic powder. After a half hour, I was back home, and Cabana's crate was a bloody mess. I stuck her toe into the powder, and Shazam!! The bleeding stopped instantaneously.

In my frenzy, I didn't take any photos of the blood, so everyone is spared the sight of it. But I do have other pics to share.

This photo is of all Cabana's toys, which we keep on top of her crate. She can reach them, but being very polite, she will only nose them until we get them for her. While it's very mannerly that she doesn't just grab what she wants, it can also be a bit maddening because sometimes, it's a puppy's perogative to change her mind.

Cabana also knows she needs to be invited to go upstairs. The top photo is of her looking up the stairs at me, wondering if she's going to be invited or not.

Ally and Eclipse  – (March 16, 2009 at 7:05 PM)  

Quiking a dog is no fun at all! I clipped Iverson's nails too short at a club (actually two clubs) camping trip before Fun Day one year and we had to use bread. We just tore off a little tiny piece and shoved it in the quick and it worked wonders! What a polite pup you have there!

Madison  – (March 16, 2009 at 7:45 PM)  

Such a cute photo!

Quik stop is a necessity if you trim your dog's nails!

Megan and Orleans  – (March 16, 2009 at 7:49 PM)  

I hate that, luckily I have not cut my pups quik since my first puppy. She was pathetic too she would walk around for half a day with a limp and would stick her paw up on anyone who would give her any attention. I always felt so bad because she was such a drama queen. Luckily I always had plenty of quik-stop handy. Still have some although I think it has gone chunky and isn't quite a powder anymore, maybe I should replace it. :D That's very nice of her waiting for an invite.

Cassie & The Dogs  – (March 16, 2009 at 7:55 PM)  

Welcome to the club!! We've all done it at some point! I still haven't picked up any quik stop since Accord's nick! Corn starch is always here though. How's your carpet??

Infrequent Flyers  – (March 16, 2009 at 9:53 PM)  

Thank you, everyone! I knew I wasn't alone! Thanks for letting me know I'm in good company. I knew there were other things to use if you didn't have any styptic powder, but all the other ideas fled my mind when I needed them. My carpet is okay, except I keep finding more little drops that I missed earlier. Luckily, I have a good spot remover!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP