Cabana & Me

A few weeks ago, while out on a walk, we passed by two lush and fluffy samoyeds. Cabana was overly intrigued by these dogs and got fabulously upset when we didn't stop to play with them. One of her "episodes" ensued, as she tried to jump on me and bite my shirt sleeve. While I was busily trying to calm her down, a passing woman laughed, "Hahaha! There's Marley!" Of course, she was referring to the dog from Marley & Me, commenting on the similarity of Cabana's appearance--and behavior--to the dog in the book/movie. NOT really helpful at that moment, but whatever!

This past weekend, we finally got around to watching that movie. I had read the book several years ago, but we weren't dog owners at the time and hadn't even contemplated getting a dog back then.

Personally, I found the movie extreeeeeemely disappointing. Not only did they barely show the dog (wasn't that the whole point, being that it's a DOG movie?), but when they did show the dog, he was almost ALWAYS doing bad and annoying things, thanks to the hapless owners. And the parts where the dog was being tender and sweet were cut to almost zero.

However, I did find entertainment value in the fact that some of the dogs they used for filming bore a HUGE resemblance to Cabana. (I know they used like 50 different dogs to play Marley). The reddish ears, the dark nose, even the pale stripes on the shoulders! All very Cabana-ish.

I used to think that all yellow labs looked the same. But now I see there are a myriad of different "yellow" colors, as well as other differences. Cabana's eyes and nose are very dark, whereas some yellow labs have pale eyes and pink noses. Cabana's coat has a lot of red in it, while other yellow labs look closer to white.

Although not exact, I had fun comparing. What do you think?



Unknown  – (April 26, 2009 at 7:18 PM)  

Marley and Cabana DO look a lot alike, but I have no doubt that Cabana is much better behaved! I loved your comparison photos!!

Becky Andrews  – (April 26, 2009 at 7:32 PM)  

Wow - that is so cool! Yes, I agree that they showed too much of mischief Marley ... Marley looked just like Pantera as well and the end scene had Steve and I in tears. Cabana is so cute.

Megan and Orleans  – (April 26, 2009 at 8:26 PM)  

OMG! That had me laughing so hard. I love all the photos. I am definitely jealous that Cabana got to sit on a beach with Owen Wilson though. :D I too wish there were more sweet Marley parts, the dog can't be horrible ALL the time! I sat through the movie pointing out when they brought a new lab in to play Marley, it drove my family crazy. Oh, well, I love that there are so many differences in Labs, variety is good!

Lisa and pups  – (April 27, 2009 at 4:35 AM)  

Those comparison photos are so hilarious! I was laughing. I did the same thing where certain dogs looked more like Runza or Ellie or other dogs in the program. I agree though, more cute moments could have been in there. Now though, every time Ellie shows her puppy side at work, everyone says "SHE's MARLEY".

Madison  – (April 27, 2009 at 5:40 AM)  

She does look very much like Marley. Don't take the "Looks it's marley" personally, my dog acts nearly perfect and people are like "look it's marley". Andros is more white, Butler is more golden colored.

chloud9  – (April 27, 2009 at 6:29 AM)  

Love the photos, very creative!

Baylor  – (April 27, 2009 at 9:49 AM)  

Hehehe!!! But, we all know Cabana is a much better pup! The GR actually bought the movie but has yet to watch it! Whimp! She says she has to wait for a time when she feels like leaking - whatever that means.

Barks!
Luna and Sole'

Infrequent Flyers  – (April 27, 2009 at 4:18 PM)  

Carrie, not sure if your question was literal or rhetorical, but here's a quick answer to how I did the comparison photos. First, I found a few pics of the movie on Google. Then, I shot some photos of Cabana in similar poses to the ones I found online. In Photoshop, I cut Cabana out, then pasted her in the movie photos. I'd like to say that Cabana really WAS on the beach with Owen Wilson--but I don't think she was even born at the time, so who would believe me? ;)

Mitch and Julimae  – (April 27, 2009 at 7:10 PM)  

Wow! They do look alike! I haven't read the book or seen the movie! All of my friends say that it has a lot of "adult content". And I can't poison my 14 year old brain! (Acctually, I have heard that it has adult content but mostly I've heard that there is much Marley. And right now I don't need to hear about naughty dogggies!)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP