Great Puppy Meeting


Last night, Cabana and I got to have a bit of individualized time with our CFR (Community Field Representative) Celeste and another CFR from Oregon, Pat. We wanted to work on Cabana's walking and dog distraction. This is our biggest challenge because Cabana still pulls quite a bit on leash, ESPECIALLY when other dogs are around.

We worked on a better way for me to hold the leash (way down on the braided section, just a few inches from the clasp) and where exactly Cabana should be positioned in relation to me (right next to my knee). We worked on having Cabana sit straight when on leash (she was tending to angle her bottom outward), as well as how I should turn left into Cabana and make us go in the opposite direction if she's pulling forward to meet an oncoming dog.

This morning on our walk, I put all those strategies into play. And there was such marked improvement. Now I feel like I have a whole new bag of tricks to help us be more successful. During our time with the CFRs, they determined that there should be no treats given during walks (too confusing for Cabana at this point) and no training collar. Cabana will be strictly on the head collar and eventually transition to just the flat collar.

Also at our meeting last night, we worked on prolonged sit-stays and down-stays, with lots of distractions thrown in. Kids walked in and around the pups with toys and squeakers and treats. Cabana is very good at staying. And considering how much she LOVES other dogs, I was amazed and proud of Cabana for staying put in such distracting circumstances.

And here is the requested photo of Persia (I didn't forget, Taelor!). She wasn't at the meeting last week when I took photos of the other pups. Persia is a cutie, although her raiser says she's a bit of a "slug" (low energy). (Hello, I wouldn't mind getting a slug for our puppy swap in a couple weeks.)



And a few of the career change dogs that sometimes come to our meetings. Here's Truman, who lives with Hamlin and family. Seven-year-old Truman is like a big cuddly teddy bear--so sweet and gentle.


And funny little Berlin, who is staying with Poppy this week.

Baylor  – (April 29, 2009 at 11:42 AM)  

Sandra here - Great tips you received at class! I love going to puppy training classes. They can help so much!

Barks at ya!
MOm, Luna and Sole'

Taelor, Pilaf, and Cartier  – (April 29, 2009 at 12:19 PM)  

Awww, thanks so much for the pictures. Persia looks like such a sweetie, and looks ver similar to Pilaf, although a little darker. It's funny that she is described as a "slug." Perhaps Pilaf got all of the energy in the litter. =P

Celeste is awesome. She was at our meeting last week, and it is always a pleasure having her help and insight. =D

And I have to say, Berlin is just funny looking. Her face makes me want to laugh...

Kimberly  – (April 29, 2009 at 12:20 PM)  

WOW BERLIN IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL... TRUMAN LOOKS LIKE A LITTLE LOVER DOG AND LITTLE PERSIA IS SOOO CUTE!
GREAT PICTURES :)
I like reading about the training collar our dog pulls like no other but we just purchased a collar for Bell that DOES IN FACT WORK, but her mommy doesn't like it on her!

Ally and Eclipse  – (April 29, 2009 at 12:20 PM)  

Pat is an amazing CFR! She really helped us through a lot of issues with Iverson and he ended up graduating as a guide /grin/ A lot of things are confusing/not fully explained to first time raisers due to experienced raisers forgetting that they ever Didn't know that /wink/ However, once you figure it out you know what to do and keep them in your arsenal of "tricks" for as long as you raise or have pet dogs! Keep up the good work!

Elizabeth and Peyton  – (April 29, 2009 at 4:23 PM)  

I love Celeste AND Pat! Both are great CFRs. We have a "slug" pup in my club too. They come with a whole other set of problems. :)

Cassie & The Dogs  – (April 30, 2009 at 9:26 AM)  

It was a good meeting! I always love when Celeste comes. She is my all time favorite cfr (I've known her since I was 12). She has great insight and always does her best to increase our "bag of tools." I am glad to hear that Cabana is responding! Keep up your great work with her!

Madison  – (May 2, 2009 at 6:56 AM)  

Yay Cabana...Good tips are always nice! You're doing a great job with her!

Rich, Jane, Boomer, and Daisy  – (May 3, 2009 at 9:42 AM)  

What a great collection of doggie faces, each a real charmer.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP