On My Own

For the first time in 18.5 years, I am home alone for an entire week. My older daughter is in Europe, and my husband and younger daughter are in Tennessee. After all these years of taking care of others, which I certainly enjoy and am happy to do, I'll have a week of taking care of only just me. Eat what I want to eat, watch what I want to watch, take as long as I want when I'm shopping, and go for runs instead of walking, since Cabana's not supposed to run.

So, in order to enjoy this once-in-two-decades novelty to the fullest, I took Cabana to Guide Dogs' kennels. People in my puppy group encouraged me to, saying that the puppies love being at the kennels because it's like a perpetual play date. Cabana loves playing with other dogs so much, so that seemed appealing. Also, they said that Guide Dogs will give Cabana a bath and trim her nails to the perfect length--so it's like a spa getaway. At least one of us will get pampered this week! (Actually, I'm not into getting pampered myself. I'd ruin a manicure in about 2 minutes.)



Here are the first dogs we saw when Cabana and I walked into the kennels. One of the dogs behind the fence looks SO much like Cabana. I wonder if they are related. They had told me on the phone when I called GDB not to bring anything, so I didn't even bring Cabana's head collar. Which meant that Cabana was pulling me along like CRAZY! In the reception office, there were a few dogs sitting by the workers. Cabana just wanted to go check them out so badly, and I could barely keep her controlled. Finally, the woman that was checking us in got a head collar out of her desk drawer and put it on Cabana. Yikes, are any other dogs as rambunctious as Cabana?! Lordy lordy.



Here's my last peek at Cabana, as the GDB employee was taking Cabana in to her "room." She said she would pair Cabana up with a roommate of similar temperament (i.e. extremely high energy), so they could rock and roll all night, and party every day.

So my first goal for my week alone is to reupholster this old chair. I got this chair for $10 (was it even worth that?) a couple years ago, and it has been sitting in the garage, awaiting a makeover. I'm so happy to finally get to work on it! Boy, I really know how to cut loose, don't I!

Ally and Eclipse  – (June 17, 2009 at 9:45 PM)  

Yeah, Eola NEEDS her Halti if there's anything even halfway distracting around (including grass and leaves, lol). I don't like being by myself and I haven't even been married a year yet /grin/ I'm sure Cabana will have a great time at camp GDB and it's good practice for when she's in for training! Enjoy your break!

OSU 98  – (June 18, 2009 at 5:47 AM)  

Enjoy your week of freedom! Although I always miss the Chelsonator when she is away from me, I relish my time when I can be out and dilly-dally and not have to rush home to let her out because I feel guilty leaving her all alone...

Cassie & The Dogs  – (June 18, 2009 at 8:52 AM)  

Cabana will have a blast! Even better, she will be pooped when she comes home!

What is your cat thinking?? All of a sudden, her house seems empty! We would have one yowling for attention. The other would be relishing in the dogless, reduced person atmosphere.
Enjoy your week!

Infrequent Flyers  – (June 18, 2009 at 10:18 AM)  

Our cat Angie is probably thrilled. She's acting like Goldilocks, taking a turn at sleeping on everyone's beds while they're gone. We'll see if she even gives one of Cabana's beds a try.

L^2  – (June 18, 2009 at 5:40 PM)  

Enjoy your break from everyone! :-)

Becky Andrews  – (June 18, 2009 at 8:33 PM)  

Enjoy your time to yourself. Will look forward to the finished product of the chair ... or if you find something else to enjoy, thats okay too!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP