Tuesday Topics 14 - (Not) Sittin' Pretty

These photos show Cabana's growth progression--but they also show that Cabana sits funny. Her knees turn inward, like she's knock-kneed. I thought it was just a silly puppy thing. But at almost 8 months, Cabana continues to sit this way. In looking through old photos, I can see that she doesn't ALWAYS sit like this, but she does probably half the time or more.



In stores, I've had a fair share of people laugh at her for the way she sits. Poor little thing! Does she realize she's being ridiculed?! But I thought it was because the floors are usually slippery, and her paws were sliding out to the sides. But now I realize it's not just when the floors are slippery.





I've started to get concerned...should I be? Is it normal? Do your puppies/dogs sit like this? Or is it something I need to have checked out by a vet??

Charlotte  – (June 2, 2009 at 9:22 AM)  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ally and Eclipse  – (June 2, 2009 at 10:10 AM)  

I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Some people may be but there's nothing you can do about it if there is something wrong at this point. Some dogs sit like that, it's not necessarily a bad thing, their knees could just be a little loose jointed, as well as their hips. Doesn't signal a definite problem, it could just be comfortable for her. That's like a dog that has "frog legs" some grow out of it with age, some do it their whole life. She may grow out of it at around a year of age but I know some working guides that still sit like that /grin/

Cassie & The Dogs  – (June 2, 2009 at 10:21 AM)  

I wouldn't worry. A lot of them sit funny. Have you ever walked behind Poppy and watched her walk?? Talk about looking like she is put together wrong! And yet, it is her head muscles that are getting biopsied!

Our puppies do all sorts of strange things, but are generally OK.

My advise is to not borrow trouble. :)

Sarah and the Pack.  – (June 2, 2009 at 10:52 AM)  

Her half sister, Millicent, has the exact same sit!!! I asked my CFR, and she was not concerned about it. It can mean they are almost double jointed, hopefully not along the lines of luxating patella though.

OSU 98  – (June 2, 2009 at 11:58 AM)  

Chelsie sits with her booty off to one side. Think of it as "making herself most comfortable".

Carrie and Waffle  – (June 2, 2009 at 1:47 PM)  

Waffle sits like that too, I wonder if that means she has good hips. I know my CRF gets excited when he sees pups who can do 'frog dog' pose.

Elizabeth and Peyton  – (June 2, 2009 at 3:43 PM)  

Hahaha...it's nothing to worry about at all! I've found that each puppy has their own unique, dorky sit.

Emily and the Labradors  – (June 2, 2009 at 5:07 PM)  

so many good posts on your blog, so little time to keep up and comment on everything! I agree about the sit though... it probably doesn't mean anything and is just her! My last puppy did the strangest thing with her hips and knees when she laid down (not frog legs, more like a butterfly)... the theory was that it meant she had good hips, and indeed, her hip x-rays and Penn hip scores confirmed that! I am raising her half brother now, and he does the same thing at times too.

Lisa and pups  – (June 2, 2009 at 6:08 PM)  

Wow - that is a creative sit! Just makes her so much more unique!

Erin  – (June 2, 2009 at 6:33 PM)  

My last puppy would sit like that, we just called it her sloppy sit. Cute but nothing to worry about!! She became a breeder :D

Rich, Jane, Boomer, and Daisy  – (June 2, 2009 at 7:02 PM)  

Bo was the original WoofGang member. He sat funny too. I used to be concerned and would tell him to "sit right," which he soon did on command.

Turns out, he was right all along and I was needlessly concerned about him sitting right. He sat the way he sat because it was comfortable!

R, J, B and D

Becky Andrews  – (June 2, 2009 at 9:13 PM)  

Cricket has a unique way of lying down ... it seemed uncomfortable to me - she's twisted on an angle (I'll try to capture it on pic one of these days). Cabana is expressing her style with her own way of sitting!?

Infrequent Flyers  – (June 2, 2009 at 9:14 PM)  

Phew! It's a consensus that nothing is wrong with Cabana. Now I can lay that nagging little worry to rest. Thanks for your comments and for the good news!!

Brenda Pruitt  – (June 4, 2009 at 5:02 PM)  

My Yorkie Charlie Ross has a funny way of squatting. The female doesn't do that. Maybe it's just a personality thing. But I'd sure ask the vet about it.
Brenda

Heather and Kelly  – (June 6, 2009 at 4:37 PM)  

Barrett did that too:) I think it's cute, they look so silly! I saw quite a few other dogs doing it when I went to puppy class. They were all black labs though, Cabana is the first yellow I have seen doing that. I asked my trainer about it and he said not to worry.

Scout and Freyja  – (June 13, 2009 at 1:57 PM)  

I hate to be a party pooper but if both legs were going off to the side in the same direction there shouldn't be a problem but each going off to the side...well, I've never seen that before. How does she look when she runs? Does she bunny hop? Can she walk up steps using each foot/leg or does she hop up those, too?

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP