Tuesday Topics 18 - Summertime Tips



Today, my daughters and I went swimming at the pool where I work. Unfortunately, Cabana still wasn't too keen on swimming. She likes being around the pool, but not so much IN the pool. Mostly, Cabana ended up laying on the hot cement. I tried to get her to lay on a towel in the shade--but she opted for the heat instead. Must be the yellow Lab thing that Emily referred to!

Later this week, we'll be attending a 4th of July party at a friend's house, but we don't plan to stay out to see fireworks. It might be too much for Cabana if we tried to take her. And because certain fireworks are legal in our county, there will definitely be a lot of loud ones set off in our neighborhood. Even though Cabana doesn't have fear issues, I wouldn't want to leave Cabana home by herself, in case the sounds are frightening to her. So we'll forego the oohs and aahhs for this year.

Then later this month, we'll be going camping. I will endure Cabana's snores close at hand, since we'll have her sleep in the tent with us. I'm going to bring my ear plugs for sure. Cabana will have to be on tie down throughout most of the day--so she'll get a lot of practice on that.

With July upon us, there's so much about dogs and summertime that will be new to me--things like tender foot pads walking on hot cement, keeping Cabana cool and comfortable, and other safety concerns. Any tips on any/all these issues would be appreciated!!

Becky Andrews  – (June 30, 2009 at 7:28 PM)  

Summertime fun - our yellow labs do love to bask in the sun don't they! The heat is hard on princess paws, though. I carry a little squirt bottle w/water to squirt paws and underneath her belly and open the lid for a little drink for our hot summer days.

OSU 98  – (June 30, 2009 at 8:17 PM)  

I have one of those beds you put water in and the water acts as a cooling agent when the dogs lay on it. Chelsie is always hot, and I shelled out $60 for it - worth every dollar, as she loves it. The material is very strong material, and she does not "nest" so I don't worry about that. But she loves that bed - sleeps on it most of the night and while I get ready for work in the morning.

Infrequent Flyers  – (July 1, 2009 at 7:29 AM)  

Becky and OSU, your tips are things I'd like for me, as much as for Cabana! A little squirt of water on the back of my neck, and a human-sized water mat to lay on. Then I'd say to summer, bring it on!

Tabatha, thanks for the compliment on the photo. I like how it turned out, too!

Ally and Eclipse  – (July 1, 2009 at 9:35 AM)  

I have to be really careful about walking Teddy in the summer as he has very sensitive foot pads and I can't get them to toughen up. I just walk him at night since my mornings are non-existent now /grin/ when the pavement cools down. They also have this really cool wax-like substance that does not come off on carpet or clothing called mushers secret that I plan on getting for all the dogs. Eclipse had an intolerance for heat while I had him so I just kept him inside all day as that's where he prefered to be. If you're going to a store and have to walk across hot pavement just keep moving quickly, her feet should be OK (unless it's like 105 degrees out!) and if you do stop make sure it's in the shade /grin/ I've also heard of people washing the puppy jacket and not drying it and the moisture keeps the dog cooler. If she's getting real hot you should put some water on her chest as that will cool her down better than any other point on her body and make sure she has plenty of drinking water! (which you know /grin/) Have fun!

Emily and the Labradors  – (July 1, 2009 at 6:12 PM)  

If it is really hot and miserable, and I really want to get out (since I don't usually work in the summer) I have been known to go to the mall. Not to shop of course, but to have a big air conditioned place to walk in! Between walking for exercise, working on distractions, practicing elevators and stairs, and having lunch I can kill a good few hours at a place that I never go otherwise. Movies are good too! Air conditioned and good practice for the pup to lay patiently. You just have to be careful getting from the car to the building if the pavement is really hot.

So I guess those weren't exactly the sort of tips you were looking for... but some ideas for entertainment at least!

L^2  – (July 1, 2009 at 9:02 PM)  

Last year during the Blogathon I wrote a post about summer safety for dogs. Most of the stuff in it seems like common sense to me - so I'm not sure how helpful it'll be - but you're welcome to check it out HERE.

Cassie & The Dogs  – (July 1, 2009 at 10:16 PM)  

The best tip I have is to really bring out your back bone to protect your pup! I find that people don't think about puppy paws getting hot and seem to want to chat endlessly out in the sun! When people ask to pet, I always say sure, but lets move into the shade (or get inside the store, etc) so her tooties aren't frying! If they don't ask, I don't stop.

A friend told me today that at an air temp or 85ish outside, month old(ish) blacktop pavement came in at 150 degrees!! Yikes!

If you have any question about pavement temp, slip off your shoe if possible(I live in flip flops this time of year) and test the ground. Too hot for you = too hot for Cabana!

And, along those lines - watch your flip flops! For whatever reason, dogs tend to love to chew the squishiness of flip flops! Char was a lefty - IE she chewed up several left foot flops. Thankfully, I stock up on Old Navy cheapies, so she didn't break the bank. Last night, my cat was chewing on one! Ick!

Lastly - have fun! Do new things! Pop LOVES her kiddie pool (especially when filled with ice cubes!) Lots of ways to beat the heat around here (we just come home - its usually 15-20 degrees cooler than you are in town!) :)

Infrequent Flyers  – (July 2, 2009 at 6:33 AM)  

L^2, your list is great. It may seem like common sense to most people--but I need and like things spelled out for me! Thanks Ally, Emily, and Poppy--very helpful tips!

Hobbes Dogs  – (July 2, 2009 at 12:53 PM)  

I second Emily's tip for using mall walking as exercise during bad weather - though for us it's usually to avoid the snow and ice rather than the heat.

Natalie | Make Today Great  – (July 5, 2009 at 9:49 PM)  

My pug likes to sleep on the hot cement too! She's black - so she'll lay out there and then come back all warm and toasty - I worry about her, but she seems to come in when she's hot, so what can you do.

The foot pads thing is a big deal though -- Dahlia stepped on a metal thing that was hot on our walk - and now she avoids it, even in the colder evenings.

Kimberly  – (July 8, 2009 at 8:01 AM)  

this is funny. Bell loves going in the water but DOES NOT LIKE TO SWIM. She feels the water up to her undercarriage LOL.. and she puts on the puppy breaks.. it's so funny too. She once ran into a deep spot @ dog beach O.B. and she stopped in the middle of it looking at me like, "WHAT DO I DO NOW?" hahahaah.. dogs are soo great!!
Kimberly - Bells mama

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP