Meeting 40 Kids



Yesterday, I went to speak to about 40+ kids at our local elementary school's summer day care. This was my first time to talk about Guide Dogs for the Blind, and I wasn't sure how either Cabana or I would do.

I brought a mat with me, so if Cabana got too restless while I was speaking, I could give her the "go to bed" command, which she's very good about following. But Cabana was very well-behaved during my presentation.

At the end, I answered questions--question after question after question! The kids were extremely interested. And they asked me some doozies that I did NOT know the answers to. I'm going to need to do a bit of homework before I give another talk!

Then, it was time for the kids to line up and pet Cabana. I wasn't sure how Cabana was going to handle being petted by so many kids. I knew she'd love the kids, but sometimes, she just can't contain her enthusiasm! I started by giving some instructions, explaining that this was all very new to Cabana, and that they could help me train her by keeping their energy level down, their voices low, and if Cabana mouthed or nibbled their hands even slightly, that they should tell her "that's enough". Of course, I'd be right there, too, watching carefully and holding onto her leash.


Cabana did start out trying to mouth some little hands (I'm sure there were all kinds of yummy flavors on them, especially since it was right after lunch)--but after the first few kids, Cabana caught on. She sat very patiently while all 40 kids took turns petting her.

When we got home, Cabana was exhausted! Amazing how much energy it takes to try to contain your energy.

Way to go, Cabana!

Elizabeth and Peyton  – (June 27, 2009 at 10:06 AM)  

I absolutely love giving presentations about GDB! You'll get better the more you do. Good job Cabana for staying mellow.

Natalie  – (June 27, 2009 at 11:10 AM)  

Good girl Cabana! Sounds like a successful first presentation!

Madison  – (June 27, 2009 at 1:43 PM)  

Yay Cabana!! I love to do presentations and it is for sure something you get better at with experience!!

Sarah and the Pack.  – (June 27, 2009 at 3:27 PM)  

Wow! Good job Cabana! Millie can hardly contain herself around kids too: maybe it is a Bosworth puppy thing?

Becky Andrews  – (June 27, 2009 at 4:52 PM)  

Sounds like you both did great. I love talking to kids - they have some great questions.

OSU 98  – (June 27, 2009 at 7:32 PM)  

Well done Cabana!!

Surely, mom, you know..how hard it is to be good when everyone is paying attention to you...

L^2  – (June 27, 2009 at 8:50 PM)  

Yay, Cabana! Sounds like it was a success. :-)

Emily and the Labradors  – (July 1, 2009 at 6:07 PM)  

Good job to both of you! I've never given a formal presentation before, but I think it would be fun! I always do little presentations for my classes and love the questions they ask.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP