Score!! I Bought Four!

I'm an extremely practical person, some may say too practical. For my 40th birthday a few years ago, I asked for a new washing machine. Other years, for either birthday or Christmas, I have requested things like a vacuum cleaner and steam iron. My husband laments my wish lists, worried that others will put him in the same camp as those who buy their wives subscriptions to Sports Illustrated for their birthdays. But after 19 years of marriage, he finally understands and appreciates that I like things that will be useful on a day-to-day basis. Diamond rings and pearl necklaces sound good, but they don't meet my pragmatic criteria.

So, all the members of my family were more than a bit flabbergasted when I came home last week with FOUR new dog beds. Ummm, no, we don't have four dogs...just the one Cabana.

Let me explain! After dropping off our relatives at San Francisco Airport last week, I stopped in at SCRAP, which is an acrostic for Scroungers Center for Reusable Art Parts. Some folks may like to shop at Bloomies or Saks, or even pocketbook-friendlier Kohls or Target. But SCRAP is hands-down my favorite store.

Businesses and individuals donate their unneeded but still usable items, complete or just the parts and pieces, and instead of becoming landfill, it becomes whatever someone has the imagination to make it become. You NEVER know what you're going to find there.

Last week, I found dog beds. Nothing wrong with most of them, except that they were unstuffed. They had all kinds of shapes and sizes--and they were each only THREE dollars!! It was too good of a bargain to pass up. Using the stuffing from Cabana's old dog bed (an un-luxurious $15 purchase from Ross) and $20 in new stuffing (using a coupon from Joann's), Cabana has become a pampered pooch.

But I still qualify as practical, since now, I don't have to move Cabana's bed from room to room. She has one waiting for her in just about every room in our house.

The bed in the photo above is my favorite, big and round, made of cozy sherpa. And the bolstered back keeps Cabana from falling off the backside.

This one is in our bedroom. It has cute handstitched detailing and an appliqued bone. It was missing a corner, but using a scrap of fabric, I sewed a new one in.

Her family room bed. Love the mitered plaid border and piping!

And the pièce de résistance--a couch bed with double bolsters. Right now, it's hanging out in the garage, which is where Cabana spends quite a bit of time with me while I sew/work. Behind Cabana, you can see my 40th birthday present--my fabulous front-load washing machine!

Anonymous –   – (August 27, 2009 at 3:50 PM)  

I love the fabric in all of them! I'm also a practical gift person. My favorite gift was a Dyson one Christmas. :)

Heather and Kelly  – (August 27, 2009 at 4:20 PM)  

Wow! You're so lucky! So is Cabana:)
I think that last one looks the most comfortable.....

Becky Andrews  – (August 27, 2009 at 5:51 PM)  

How fun! I love finding a bargain too. Cricket is in need of a new bed at my office. She keeps trying to fluff it up! Promised her this weekend.

L^2  – (August 27, 2009 at 6:18 PM)  

Cabana looks like she really likes her new beds.

I like practical gifts too. My Sister laughed last Christmas when I asked for sheets and towels, but they were things I needed that I've put to good use.

Lauren, Spike and Clyde  – (August 27, 2009 at 6:59 PM)  

Wow what a deal! If only I could find something like SCRAP around here...

Emily and the Labradors  – (August 27, 2009 at 8:30 PM)  

My inner crafty self is drooling right now... Those are all just fabulous! And such a bargain! I might have to go thrift storing soon... but I don't think any of them are as neat as the place you described!

Cassie & The Dogs  – (August 27, 2009 at 9:49 PM)  

Poppy is uber jealous!! And John thinks that we need to have a puppy meeting at SCRAPS so we can all get such nifty items!

Erin  – (August 28, 2009 at 7:21 PM)  

I too am a practical gifter! :)
I think i'm up to six dog beds now... :)
I love the way all your beds are green! Am thinking of replacing all my dogs beds to match my decor.

Bethany, Dahlia, Julia, and GEB Lucky  – (August 29, 2009 at 12:55 PM)  

I like that last one best!!! :) I bet Dahlia would LOVE that one. :)

Anonymous –   – (September 1, 2009 at 8:11 PM)  

I have three dog beds - one for each major room in the house. Cushion is in the lounge, Pillow is in Dad's study and Bed is in Mama and Dada and my bedroom.

My Mama says she WISHES they had cost $3 each and that I better look after them. Luckily Cushion looks the same on both sides so I could turn it over and hide the hole I bit in it underneath!

My Mama says that, in our house, every day is Dog Day.

http://puppydogdiaries.squarespace.com/imported-data/2009/5/1/hello-from-puppy-dog-dog-day.html

Lots of licks and woofs,

Puppy Dog

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP