I'll Eat You Up, I Love You So


We all know Cabana IS a wild thing, so I decided months ago that she should be Max from Where the Wild Things Are for Halloween. Little did I know that it would be a bigger challenge than I thought!


Pattern companies do not make patterns for dogs of Cabana's size. I consider Cabana to be very medium-sized, but a "large" dog, according to Simplicity, is 16" from base of neck to base of tail. Cabana is at least 26". I thought I could use this pattern as a foundation and increase the size. But having never made dog clothes before, the pieces are all these wonky shapes that didn't make a ton of sense to me. I managed to enlarge and cut the pieces out, but then trying the costume on Cabana and attempting to make adjustments--NOT an easy task! I wished I had one of those fitting mannequins that designers use so I wouldn't have to keep trying to get Cabana in and out of the costume. She wasn't too happy about our fitting sessions.

Finally, I realized, WHY am I trying to make a furry beige costume for an already furry beige dog? So I ditched the body part and just made the hood. I also made some big claw feet, but Cabana can't really walk in them.
photo from the movie of Max the boy in his Wild Thing costume, open mouthed in a scream, big hairy monster fur in the backgroundWearing just the hood seems more humane than a full-body costume, so I'm happy enough with the outcome.

And now, LET THE WILD RUMPUS START!!!!!

Anonymous –   – (October 27, 2009 at 3:26 PM)  

I love the picture of her sitting looking at the camera. She has this look like I'm only doing this to humor everyone that reads my blog. :) Great job on the costume!

Lisa and pups  – (October 27, 2009 at 4:08 PM)  

Oh my goodness - that's the best idea ever!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!

L^2  – (October 27, 2009 at 4:17 PM)  

Haha... very cute! Nice job on the costume!

Mandy and Supreme  – (October 27, 2009 at 4:19 PM)  

oh my goodness this might be the cutest thing ever!!

Kelsey, Keno, Mallory, and Chappelle  – (October 27, 2009 at 4:53 PM)  

Ahh I love it! Such a good movie, Keno liked it to I think. ;) Cabana makes a very cute wild thing. :)

Heather and Kelly  – (October 27, 2009 at 5:13 PM)  

That's really cute! I just love how miserable she looks in that picture of her wearing the claws. You can really read her face :)

Martha G  – (October 27, 2009 at 5:42 PM)  

I laughed outloud - You are so creative! I love the feet!

Lauren  – (October 27, 2009 at 6:19 PM)  

ADORABLE!- and so creative. Cabana looks great in her wild thing costume!

Becky Andrews  – (October 27, 2009 at 7:03 PM)  

I also laughed outloud. You are so creative. Poor Cricket doesn't have a costume this year - maybe similar to my kids that had pretty lame costumes as kids!

Carrie and Waffle  – (October 27, 2009 at 7:44 PM)  

I wanna fuzzy crown too!
and thanks for trying to get a pic of Lani-lu!

Lauren, Spike and Clyde  – (October 27, 2009 at 8:47 PM)  

That has got to be the best, most original costume I have seen so far. I'm just jealous I didn't think of it first!
Love it. Absolutely love it!

Taelor, Pilaf, and Cartier  – (October 27, 2009 at 8:53 PM)  

What a cute little wild thing. =D

I love the expression on her face. What a funny pup!

Great job with the costume. You are a truly exellent seamstress. =)

Megan and Orleans  – (October 27, 2009 at 9:29 PM)  

Wow, that is amazing. Great job, Cabana is a fantastic "wild thing" ha ha ha

Scout and Freyja  – (November 1, 2009 at 8:42 AM)  

We is hopin' that you had just the bestest HOWL-o-weenie ever and ever with lots and lots of treats!

Gotta say, you is PURRty cutes!

Emily and Joel  – (November 3, 2009 at 1:15 PM)  

I LOVE that idea. Wish I'd thought of it..darn your creativity! Cabana looks so cute!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP