No Tomatoes for Cabana


All summer long, we've had a bounty crop of tomatoes in our backyard--overflowing the sides of my planter box as they got heavy and ripened. All summer long, Cabana never touched them. She showed no interest, never looked at them, never sniffed them.

BUT about two weeks ago, my little cherry tomatoes got to that overripe stage, where they burst through their own skins, exposing their juice and seeds. All of the sudden, the tomatoes became the focal point of Cabana's attention in our yard. I caught her eating one of these overripe guys--and that was the end of undisturbed tomatoes.



Since that time, I don't think Cabana's eaten many more ripe tomatoes. Instead, she likes to find hard green cherry tomatoes and hold them in her mouth. I can see her rolling it around in her mouth like a marble. When I catch her with one, she spits it out, whole and unsquished. Still, tomatoes are so acidic, and I don't think it's good for her tummy to be eating them, whatever color or degree of ripeness.

In order to keep Cabana away from the tomatoes, I haven't been letting her roam in the backyard off-leash. This was okay for a while because it was rainy and wet, and I didn't want her walking through mud and dirt anyway. But now that the weather is nice again, I'd like to give Cabana some of her freedom back.

So today, I'll pick what I can, then the rest of the tomatoes are going in the compost. I think my family has had their fill of tomatoes for the season anyway. I've fixed tomatoes and/or zucchini in some form just about every night for the past couple months! Thank goodness that all good things must come to an end.

Becky Andrews  – (October 22, 2009 at 8:05 PM)  

Cabana you are so cute! Tomatoes and squash for dinner sounds yummy. This time of year I wish we had of planted a garden.

Cassie & The Dogs  – (October 23, 2009 at 11:18 AM)  

Oh Cabana! You are so cute! Accord liked our pear tomatoes last year. He would run down the steps to the yard, grab a tomato off the vine and take off like his tail was on fire. Such a nut!

Poppy hasn't touched a single veggie! No tomatoes. No peppers. No zuccs. No lettuce or egg plant, basil or cilantro. Only marigolds. She LOVES picking flowers for her mama. Sigh.

Kate Richardson  – (October 25, 2009 at 9:57 AM)  

Faulkner also discovered the allure of the tomato plant this year. We've never had a problem with pups trying to get into it before, but for some reason, it seemed like a treat. We had to set up some major training situations involving a long line, some big correction and some bitter apple as well. Eventually, he got the idea!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP