Black Friday News - The Big CC

Although we've known unofficially for about a week, on Wednesday, it became official. Cabana is career changed. No surprise that it's due to dog distraction.

In some ways, the news came as a relief. For the past year, I've felt a bit like we were trying to push a square peg into a round hole. When I read back through my first posts, I am reminded that Cabana's issues have always been the same, and although we made some progress, they've never gone away.

Now Cabana will be able to do so many of the things she wants so badly to do, but hasn't been allowed to. I'm happy for her about that. But whether she'll be able to do them with US or with someone else--that's the quandary.

Basically, there are 4 options in front of us:
1. Keep Cabana and raise another puppy for Guide Dogs.
2. Keep Cabana and don't raise another puppy for Guide Dogs.
3. Let Guide Dogs find another home for Cabana, and raise another puppy for Guide Dogs.
4. Let Guide Dogs find another home for Cabana, and don't raise another puppy for Guide Dogs (making us dogless).

Option 1 is pretty much out of the question. Celeste, our CFR, said that she would recommend we wait a couple years to raise another puppy, because Cabana would drive the new puppy crazy and we'd end up pulling our hair out.

Some readers may wonder why Option 4 is even on the table--but it is, because sometimes, I just don't think I'm cut out to be a dog owner. I have never felt completely relaxed with Cabana being in our home. Not because of Cabana herself, but because that's just the way I am. My weird baggage. I tend to worry about her, whether I'm doing the right things, whether I'm socializing her enough, whether she's happy or bored. With Cabana at the puppy sitters this weekend, I feel like I sleep better and feel generally more relaxed (although we are still down in Los Angeles on vacation, which may also be a contributing factor).

It's an AGONIZING decision! And I waver minute by minute. We adore Cabana, and we want what's best for her. But we also want to make a decision that we can feel good about for the next 10+ years. My family is pretty much leaving the decision up to me, since it affects me the most. They will be fine with whatever I decide, which I'm grateful for, but which also makes it more difficult for me since I'm so torn.

I THINK (at the moment of writing this) that I have pretty much made my decision. Guide Dogs needs to know by Monday(!), so they can schedule Cabana's spaying (if she doesn't go into season over the weekend). Before I make my decision final, I'd love to get feedback from other raisers who have had to make this decision. I know circumstances will vary for each person and each dog, and no one can make the decision for me. But if you have any advice, or factors that swung you one way or the other--I'd love to hear about them.

Lacey  – (November 27, 2009 at 11:50 AM)  

I have no advice on what you should do. That's way too personal of a decision, but do want to say that it's normal to worry about your dog, what you're doing, if you've left them to long, have you had them out to long. . . Worrying that you're doing the right thing as a puppy raiser doesn't make you a bad fit to be one! Good luck with your decision. I'm confident that no matter what you choose, Cabana will be happy and that's what's most important.

Addie, Llarson, and Ava  – (November 27, 2009 at 11:59 AM)  

Sorry to hear about Cabana, but sometimes it is for the best. We had a similar situation with Ggoody. When I found out Ggoody was career changed it kind of wasn't a suprise since her last few evaluations weren't great. During our time raising Ggoody we had to put our pet dog down, leaving us dogless after Ggoody was recalled. My mom ended up suprising us and brought Ggoody home (it was about 2 months after she was recalled). I was so happy to have her home. We waited at least a year to raise another dog (one: they didn't have any puppies for our area and two: my parents wanted a break). It worked out great having the break and made the wait worthwhile when Llarson came home, to a calm, relaxed Ggoody. Ggoody has calmed down since her puppyhood and has adjusted to our lifestyle. She is a great companion and fits into our family perfectly. I hope this helps! Whatever you decide, just keep in mind what is best for your family and lifestyle.

Anna  – (November 27, 2009 at 12:37 PM)  

I completely understand your pain. When my first puppy was cc'd, my family didn't even give me the option of keeping him, and GDB placed him. They do a fantastic job--if that's what you end up doing. I really never thought anyone could love him and be as perfect for him as we were, but they found him a perfect home. So if you do end up having GDB place her, rest at peace.

Hobbes Dogs  – (November 27, 2009 at 1:12 PM)  

I'm so sorry to hear that Cabana was career changed, but wish her best of luck in her new home (wherever it is) and the best to your family whatever you chose ... I do hope you'll keep blogging either way.

My family and I have unfortunately had to make the decision whether or not to keep one of my CC'd pups 4 times. One we adopted, and the three others we let Dog Guides place. Sometimes the dog wasn't right for our family and sometimes we weren't the right family for the dog. Some decisions were harder than others. I will tell you that I am sure in the end we made the right decision each time as all of them (including Baloo, now our forever dog) seemed to end up exactly where they needed to be. I'm sure it will be the same for Cabana.

Coreena  – (November 27, 2009 at 1:15 PM)  

I'm sorry to hear this! However, having a highly dog distracted dog home and raising puppies, I can say it is VERY difficult! I would not recommend it! Eva has always been highly distracted, growling/barking and wanting to be friends with every dog she's ever seen. I don't think option four should be an option, just yet. I'm a dog person though, so that's me. I think it would help you to either start or finish another pup, all dogs are different. Eva makes me very nervous, because of who she is, not her health. Loden was a very laid-back boy that I never worried about. It may just be your relationship with Cabana that may make you so nervous (not anything bad, just what it is). I would give it another go, see how you feel.

As far as keeping Cabana and not raising, I don't know you, or Cabana, but I know that if you are unsettled with her in the house all the time, I wouldn't recommend keeping her. When a dog is career changed and stays home, your relationship is still largely the same. At least for me, there is not "change" beyond not taking the pup out and letting them do some of the no-no's of training.

I hope that helps and I didn't offend you. We're sending some hugs, licks and tail wags your way!

Brandon - The dog with a blog  – (November 27, 2009 at 1:43 PM)  

I'm so sorry she was CC!
I've only had 1 dog CC, and we decided not to keep her, yes it was a hard decision, but my parents were not going to let me raise another pup.

Good luck!!

Toby's trainer

Cassie & The Dogs  – (November 27, 2009 at 2:08 PM)  

Ok. You know I don't like any option that takes you, your husband and your girls out of our group. (and I just got a little teary thinking about it)
You know that I think that you have done a great job with the dog you were given. She is the hardest puppy I have seen in a long time. An experienced raiser may have gotten her a bit farther -maybe- but she doesn't want the structure of being a guide.

GDB has a great placement program. The applicants fill out all sorts of paperwork about themselves and their life style so that they are matched with the right dog for them. Its a hard decision to give up control about where they go, but gdb does a great job with these dogs.

Ultimately, this is what I want for your family: for all of this to be a good experience. I would love to see you with a puppy the opposite of Cabana. One that you are 100% comfortable with in your home and out in public. One that makes you feel like the success I see you as. I want you to have a dog you fully enjoy raising. I want you not to feel stuck. I want you to keep Cabana ONLY if you weed it all out and do it because you want her, rather than feeling obligated to take her.

You have come such a long way in the last year. I hope to continue watching you grow as a dog handler. You care about doing it right more than most raisers. I think you can do great things with these pups.

Talk soon.

Ro  – (November 27, 2009 at 2:11 PM)  

I'm so sorry to hear about Cabana. I've really enjoyed reading about her. Obviously I have no experiencing with this, but I did want to say, you don't have to decide to never raise a puppy again. You might want to in 6 months or 6 years, and GDB will always be around, and there will always be people like me. So the decision might be not to raise right away.

I'm sure Cabana will find a great home, and after some time you might miss having a pup around. Nothing is set in stone today. Who knows what will happen tomorrow. Take it a day at a time, and you'll know in your heart eventually whether you want to try it again.

I too, hope you keep writing.

*hugs*

Emily and the Labradors  – (November 27, 2009 at 2:18 PM)  

I'm so sorry, but I can understand the relief of having her cc'd too. I know you tried harder than most other raisers would have so you can hopefully have some peace that it was just the right thing for Cabana. I really don't have any advice for you though... for me I love having a dog, especially a pet dog, with me. My house doesn't feel right without at least a dog or two (or three) and I know I always want one by my side. I don't remember when you started reading my blog, but I lost a very special pet dog while I was raising Gelly (then, Angel). During my dog's illness I came to the conclusion that if Angel was cc'd I would adopt her. So when she was cc'd in breeder evals, there was no real decision to be made. She would be coming home. Was she my favorite dog? No. Was she perfect? No. Was she a great dog that I knew? Yes. I needed a pet, so either I adopted her or I went to the shelter to adopt another dog. I decided to go with the known entity, and I don't regret it. Ellis is a whole other and more complex story which I do not regret either. I do jokingly refer to them as my rebound dogs sometimes though ;) I probably should have put more thought into it before taking them both, but at that point in my life it was the right thing for me and I know it was a good decision.

In your case, there is clearly no obvious answer. I do think it would be interesting to see what life is like with a different dog who might just be a better match for you and your personality and lifestyle. But that is just me who can't imagine not having a dog around! Some dogs are just better fits than others, and one of the benefits of puppy raising is that we get to "test drive" them for a year and really know how we mesh. Of course the hazard in this is that you might really mesh with a dog and then they become a guide, but it is a pretty awesome risk ;) Good luck with your decision! Your blog readers will all be behind you no matter what you choose!

Ally and Eclipse  – (November 27, 2009 at 2:18 PM)  

I'm sorry to hear she was cc'ed but from what I know of Cabana it will probably place her where she's happiest, wether that's in your home or someone else's. I can't say whether you should keep Cabana or not, that relies strictly on your relationship with her. I know a lot of people are tempted to keep the first pup if he/she gets cc'ed but I know that down the road, if you do raise again, there will probably be a dog that is a better fit for your household and lifestyle. Don't cross off raising in the future at this point, focus on doing what you feel is best for you and Cabana. In time you can choose to puppysit/raise a transfer/start a pup and raise or not, whether or not Cabana is home with you. Unless you're completely attatched to the idea of raising another pup right away, which it doesn't sound like you are and you've been toying with the idea for some time, focus on doing what you think is best for you and Cabana at this point and not on how a pup would play into it.

Just my thoughts though, I wish you well in your decision making process!

OSU 98  – (November 27, 2009 at 3:01 PM)  

I have often thought you were WAY too hard on yourself about some things with Cabana - I have never raised a puppy before, but I am guessing she is going to go down in the book as a challenging first puppy to raise, particularly given she was your first dog ever. I can't say I am surprised - I think I also read in one of your past posts the other puppies in the litter had many similar characteristics to your little girl. I think I also read somewhere that it takes 5 miles a day to tire a lab out. And as I watched Cabana chase the little Chrsitmas ornanment around, I was reminded of just how much energy lab puppies have! And she is just that - A PUPPY.

I can't imagine having to make this decision, but whatever decision you make, I do hope this experience does not deter you from raising in the future - it is a wonderful thing you do. Clearly, you have Cabana's best interest at heart, but don't be so hard on yourself in the process. :)


Does Cabana have potential as an agility dog?????

Elizabeth and Peyton  – (November 27, 2009 at 3:42 PM)  

I'm so sorry. This is a very tough thing as we all know. When my first puppy was CC'd, I almost didn't raise any more because I was so discouraged and upset. I chose to try again because I've always had a dream of raising a guide dog and I didn't want to stop until I had accomplished that. When I got Miss Holly, it was literally a different world altogether. Each puppy is so completely distinct that it's hard to compare them at all.

As for keeping a CC'd puppy, I have always decided against it. My lifestyle isn't really ideal to keep a pet and I thought it would be unfair to the dog. GDB truly does the best job at placing our dogs, whether as breeders, guides, or career changes. They are amazing in that department. I know everyone says that, but it's absolutely true.

Good luck in making your decision, I feel for you!

Kim, Bethany and the girls..  – (November 27, 2009 at 4:29 PM)  

My one area of input on this would be that some puppies, as much as we love them, are not the perfect fit for us as raisers. However, sometimes you find that a guide dog puppy with a different personality fits you so perfectly and then you realize why it seemed so challenging with the other puppy.

The other side to this is that sometimes once you don't have the worry/concern of raising a "perfect" guide dog puppy you relax and then the dog relaxes and they are awesome pets.

I hope that helps at least a little. I am on puppy Number 18 now and over time I have come to see that even though I want every puppy to be a perfect fit for me as a raiser this is not how it works which bothers me but is also good to know.

Bethany

Anonymous –   – (November 27, 2009 at 4:41 PM)  

I'm sorry to hear she was CC'ed. :( Having never raised a puppy full-time I really have no advice either. I know even from puppy-sitting that there are some dogs you tend to "bond" with more than others. I know another option is to puppy-sit for a little while for your club. That way you can keep up on your "skills" :) and still have a puppy around.

No matter what decision you make, Cabana will be with an awesome family (rather that be with you or placed by Guide Dogs). :) Good Luck!

Mandy and Supreme  – (November 27, 2009 at 5:56 PM)  

pretty sure everyone's covered every aspect but I wanted to add two things.
First, selfishly, I must say I really enjoy reading your blog and want you to keep raising if only so I can keep reading about your puppy raising adventures! :)
And second, I'll throw another option into the mix - you can spend some time as a puppy sitter with your club while you think about raising again since you're on the fence. I've taken a few breaks from puppy raising over the years and always enjoyed puppy sitting when I can, it's much less of a commitment (time-wise and emotionally too) and you get to learn different techniques for working different kinds of dogs while providing an invaluable service to your club and GDB. And it's always a good feeling to go to a meeting and have EVERY dog recognize you and go nuts to see you because they had so much fun with you!
Just another idea to add to your already tough list of options. (I'm helpful, I know!) Good luck with your decision...and Cabana, Terence welcomes you to the good life of a career change! It's not so bad!

Maddie, Betsy, Jorinda, and Petuina  – (November 27, 2009 at 6:40 PM)  

I have never been put in this position before, but from reading your blog I can tell that you are an awesome raiser! I am in the position of having a dog that I haven't bonded with. It's amazing how comfortable to are with a dog that you really connect with. I think that if you truly bonded with Cabana and wanted her in your home, you wouldn't think twice about adopting her. At least I wouldn't. And I definitely think you should raise another puppy! You have puppysat before and know that Cabana is a very special dog. She is going to have a great life no matter what you choose!

Good luck with your decision! And great job raising Cabana! You did amazing

Katlynn and Ryder  – (November 27, 2009 at 7:36 PM)  

I am very sorry to hear about Cabana`s CC. She sounds so much like her half brother Focus, he was very distracted and always had so much energy not matter how much you walked him. I had the same options with Focus, if he got CC`d and I choose to keep him, I would finish Ryder out and then I would not be able to raise for a few years just due to his hyperness. I think I would choose to let GDB place Focus just because I could not offer all the things he could do (therapy dog, agility, 4H, etc) although we love all our dogs and we want to keep them all it`s not always the best choice.

I`m sure whatever decision you make will be the best.:)

Becky Andrews  – (November 27, 2009 at 8:07 PM)  

I think all the comments that you have received demonstrate the blessing of our blogs! How nice to receive such support and insight from others. I don't have any experience in the difficult decision that you must make and wish you the very best in the decision in doing what feels best for you and your family. With love, Becky & Cricket

Anna  – (November 27, 2009 at 9:01 PM)  

Ditto what Mandy said. I love your blog and don't know what I'd do if you weren't blogging about some cute puppy.

If I were in your boat I would let GDB place Cabana (just from what I've gathered from reading your blog). You WILL know when you have that special connection with a dog that makes living with it so easy (no doubts). You may have bonded with Cabana, but that doesn't mean she's the right (permanent) dog for your lifestyle (nor does it mean she isn't).

You will be in my thoughts as you make this tough decision. It takes a special balance of your heart and head to make this gigantic decision.

Kelsey, Keno, Mallory, and Chappelle  – (November 27, 2009 at 9:13 PM)  

I'll say what others have said; I'm so sorry to hear about Cabana being career changed. Even when it's what's best, it doesn't necessarily make it very easy. Congratulations on all the work you put into Cabana, you are a better raiser for it, and she is a better dog. There's just so much we can teach each other!

As for your situation. When Chappelle was career changed there was no question, within seconds of getting the call we knew we were bringing him home forever. He is my heart dog, but I think that if he was the type of dog that I couldn't raise other puppies with, I would have let him go to someone else. Him being my first, I would have wanted to continue this amazing journey. Raising for me is an addiction and a way of life. I think that's what would make up my mind in this type of situation. I think the reason Chappelle is so special to me now is because of the help he provides in raising the rest of these little rascals. He's so good with them. When Spike was career changed there was a split second where I just wanted to take him. It was unpractical and he ended up exactly where he belongs.

This is in no way an easy decision. You could always keep Cabana, take a break from raising until she matures and then pick it back up again if you feel comfortable. Do what's best for you, because that's what is going to be best for Cabana. Good luck!

Sierra Rose  – (November 27, 2009 at 9:20 PM)  

Oh Cabana! We are sorry to hear about the career change. We don't have guide dog puppy raising experience, but definitely understand the challenges that puppies can bring! What a difficult decision. From reading comments, it does sound like Guide Dogs has a fantastic placement department, if you made that decision. I do think it would be difficult to raise another puppy and have your forever dog (also technically a puppy).
We wish you the best in making this tough decision!

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose's mom

Carrie and Waffle  – (November 27, 2009 at 9:52 PM)  

So sorry to hear about Cabana everything has been said, I too would like to keep hearing about your puppy raising experiences. Just my experience, our 1st Tacoma was a handful, as first time raisers we were in the raiser's manual every other day. She swallowed(and continues to swallow) all sorts of stuff she shouldn't. In fact on our 1st funday, she had to be rushed into emergency surgery to remove a paper clip and part of her dog bed. Needless to say we were not surprised when she was CC'd. We chose to place her with friends who are very, very active. They found that it takes about 5 miles a day to make her manageable. She now goes to soccer practice, backpacking and cross country skiing. She was NOT the dog for us, no matter how much we loved her. And she is a million times more happy now with this family than us. While a hard choice it was the right one.

our 2nd flunkee Waffle was the dog for us. The right size and temperament, she was completely our dog from day one. She was also easier to handle, not sure if we were getting better or she was a 'softer' dog.

our last pup Lani was and is perfect. She listened, was eager to please - by now we truly felt comfortable as raisers.

So while I understand the stress of raising - I'll tell you it does get easier - you get better at it. We took a long break break about 9 months, but at least once a week we wish we had a PIT to take along with us on some adventure.

What ever choice you make you still have a blogging friends through whom you can still live vicariously through and whom will always support what ever you chose to do.

good luck

K9-CRAZY  – (November 28, 2009 at 5:48 AM)  

Sorry to hear about Cabana's career change, I know how disappointing it can be after investing so much of yourself into a dog for so long, even when you see the CC coming. You did a great job with her!

Why don't you take a break? You may find you miss having a puppy in your life. Cabana has given you a whole lot of experience that you will be able to bring to another puppy in the future. Every dog is different and you may find you can relax more with your next one because you know what to expect. Don't underestimate the experience she's given you, the first puppy is always the hardest :)

Good luck with your decision and keep posting!

Lisa and pups  – (November 28, 2009 at 7:32 AM)  

WOW, I'm a little behind on blogs. I'm sorry to hear of her cc. I know you worked so hard on it and she couldn't have gotten a raiser that was more dedicated to "getting it right".

You have a tough decision in front of you and I wish you the best of luck! Whatever you decide will be perfect for you - please let us know the outcome!

Good luck!

Emily  – (November 28, 2009 at 9:14 AM)  

I am so sorry to hear about Cabana's career change. I have enjoyed reading about her times as a puppy in training and am sad to see them end, yet I know it is what is best.

As for making the decision, I don't think I have any good advice. Sadly for me, keeping any of my puppies is not an option. I go to college in less them 2 years, and my dad doesn't want another permanent dog in the house! I have placed my 2 cc'd puppies and it has been the best thing I have ever done. Somehow, they found the place they needed to be. I know Cabana will find the right place for her, too! And good luck with the decision!

Sarah and the Pack.  – (November 28, 2009 at 11:05 AM)  

I am sorry to hear of Cabana's cc, but at the same time I know that it is the best thing for her. I know where you are coming from on trying to make a dog do something they are just so not cut out to do. With my first dog Sterling it was a constant daily struggle to do simple tasks, and his cc came as a huge relief (and really not a surprise).

I had told myself from the beginning that I would not keep a pup, because then I could not continue raising. It just would not be fair to my pet dogs or to my family if I had a pack of dogs everywhere I went. I know GDB does a fantastic job placing our pups in the perfect homes for them, so don't let that hold you back when deciding to keep Cabana.

Raising is such an amazing experience that I do hope you decide to continue, even if not right away. Each puppy is so different and brings new insight and meaning into my life. Yes, some have been more difficult than others, but making that perfect connection on one level or another is what it is all about, at least for me. Try puppy sitting for awhile, or raise a starter puppy. You might find that working with a softer dog is the key to making your connection with the dog less stressful and more fun.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Beth and Alfie  – (November 28, 2009 at 11:41 AM)  

I was so sad to read of Cabana's career change. I've enjoyed your blog so much, and not only from the blog but also from the comments of those in your puppy club, I gather you're quite good at puppy raising! So be at peace that you've done all you possibly could for Cabana. I've never quite faced the decision you're facing now. But I would just say this: do what brings you joy.

Martha G  – (November 28, 2009 at 12:31 PM)  

I have no regrets about keeping Ardella. She is a great pet and has calmed down so much since the stress of public work has been taken away from her. She's even calm around the other pets in the house. Ardella has a lot of options in terms of mobility and she has a lot of company in terms of interacting with other career changed dogs in the area. I can't imagine being anywhere else but with us.

I know your circumstances are different from mine and I would hate to see you stop blogging about puppy raising. While this decision is ultimately yours, I liked your leader's advice. Definitely have a chat with her before making any final decision.

Rebecca, Ely and Joe  – (November 28, 2009 at 2:48 PM)  

I am so sorry to hear about Cabana. When Ely was CC’d for hip dysplasia, my mom didn’t even have to ask me, she already knew the answer. Ely was the perfect dog for our family and was happy being in our house. Whatever you decided to do, Cabana will be in the house and with the people she was suppose to be with from the beginning. I am sure she will be happy with whatever you decided. That is a hard decision, but Cabana will love you no matter the outcome.

L^2  – (November 28, 2009 at 8:42 PM)  

I'm sorry to hear about Cabana being CC'd. *hugs* I know you worked so hard to try to prevent it. You did a fantastic job with her and I have no doubt she's all the better for your hard work. This job just wasn't the right one for her.

Having followed your journey with Cabana for quite a while now (as well as having a pet yellow Lab - that I made the tough decision recently to try to re-home as she is definitely not a good match for me, my guide dog, and my lifestyle - who seems to have A LOT in common with Cabana), I could tell you what I think I would do if I were in your shoes. But I can't imagine that would really help you much, since as a pet dog owner and a guide dog user I've never been in quite the same situation. Obviously, only you can know what is truly right for you and your family regarding Cabana. All I can really do is wish you the best of luck with your decision. Just do what feels right.
Anything else that I've thought of to say has already been expressed well in plenty of others' comments so I won't repeat it all again. However, I do want to note that I too will miss you and your blog if you decide not to raise again. I think you are a wonderful puppy raiser and Cabana has taught you so much that you could put to good use with more pups.

Anonymous –   – (November 29, 2009 at 2:22 AM)  

I find it a little sad that Cabana is career-changed, because her five-mile-a-day energy would have been of good use for someone as active as me! I think that Troy may be a bit like her from what I've read in all your blog entries, except that of course when he gets distracted, it doesn't totally ruin his concentration on working for me. However, whatever Cabana chooses to do after this will hopefully be of best interest for her and should hopefully put your mind at rest.

I can't make your decision for you of course, but I'll just give you my own humble opinion.

I believe that you may need a little break, but then you'll be wonderful with another puppy! I write that because from your blogging about Cabana, you honestly did everything, just everything! To try to get Cabana to be a guide dog! But dogs have a mind of their own: if they don't want to do that job, you can try and try until you're blue in the face. So don't worry; I really think it wasn't any fault of yours that Cabana is CC'd. You wrote that you have a lot of worries about how you raised her and lots of other anxieties. I guess you probably felt that you might have been at some fault? Well, you have a read of your blog from start to finish, you really did all you could. Yes, we all make mistakes. I even make mistakes with Troy still after working with him for two years! But not all mistakes suddenly make you a bad raiser or me a bad handler! However, again I'll say it, none of what you did from what you blogged about made Cabana a CC! I'm going to give you a round of applause for what you did, because you could have said no, and Cabana may never have gotten to where she is now. But because you said yes to raising her, look where she is now!
Clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap!

Some dogs are a handful to put up with, but if you were to get another puppy, whether it's the perfect puppy for you or the biggest handful yet, the skills you developed with Cabana will certainly be of good use with your future puppies, if you wish to raise again. But remember that the dogs that are CC mostly get that way because it's not in them to be guides in the first place. And I'll be selfish now: I really want to keep reading your blog posts about your lovely puppy raising efforts! And ys, all of us bloggers/readers will comment and encourage you on to any improvements you think you wish to make! I've read other puppy raiser blogs, and you all do the best job you possibly can. Who can say that all the good puppy raisers I've been reading of are not trying their hardest to create guide dogs out of their bundles of fur?

I understand it's quite hard for you to manage yoru puppy raising job at times e.g, having to handle Cabana's behaviour, what to do when it comes to future dogs, or where to place each dog, But like everything we do, it's always worth it when people like me get a guide dog or other service dog, just because of people like you! So in saying all this, I do hope for the best for you in what you decide to do.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP