It's So Fun to Break the Rules!

Cabana laying on a red fleece blanket on our plaid sectional couch Guide dog puppies are not allowed on furniture, so with the exception of the lawn chair out on our porch, Cabana has never been on a couch, chair or human bed. Not even once!

Last night, for the first time, we invited Cabana onto our couch to watch the Hallmark movie, "A Dog Named Christmas" (which we only watched half of and that I was somewhat disappointed by--but I know I'd have been crying buckets if we hadn't decided to keep Cabana). Following Martha's example with Ardella, we put a red blanket on the couch first, then gave Cabana the "go to bed" command. She jumped right up and settled herself on the blanket. That will be Cabana's blanket, and she will only be allowed to sit on the couch by invitation and on that blanket. Hopefully.

When I watch TV, I sit on the floor with Cabana--I've done this for the whole past year! I haven't minded all that much. I put a pillow behind my back and lean against the ottoman, and I hold Cabana's sterilized bones while she chews. It's not that comfy on my rear, although I have plenty of "natural padding".

So it was a huge treat, not just for Cabana, but also for ME!, that we got to snuggle up on the couch together! It's so much nicer than snuggling on the floor! Now I finally understand why people let their dogs up on their couches, even though the upholstery gets smelly and stained and chewed up. Good thing reupholstery is a hobby of mine!

Heather and Kelly  – (November 30, 2009 at 10:13 AM)  

She's a lucky girl!!

I've always wanted to have a puppy hang out with me on the couch, but having only raised pups not owned one, I've never had the chance.

OSU 98  – (November 30, 2009 at 12:02 PM)  

I know what you mean about the floor! One thing that has super stunk about this whole ACL thing is that she can't get on the furniture...so I have been sitting on the floor with her. My booty goes numb quite frequently. :)

I have to admit...last night I picked her up and put her on the bed..where she stayed until 3:30 am when I helped her down. Bad mommy....

Hobbes Dogs  – (November 30, 2009 at 12:30 PM)  

When Baloo came home I was so excited to be able to have him on furniture, but my mom didn't want him lying on all the couches, so the rule was that he would only be allowed on my bed. A few days later I came home to find him cuddled up with my mom watching TV ... he's been the king of our couches ever since!

Mandy and Supreme  – (November 30, 2009 at 1:28 PM)  

good luck with keeping her off the couch unless invited - Terence now stands in front of me with the saddest possible look on his face and if I don't say anything to invite him on the couch, he just jumps ON me and settles in. (it's sooo cute though, I hope his new family doesn't mind!)

Erin  – (November 30, 2009 at 1:36 PM)  

Wow this is what I get for going out of town this weekend!I think its cool you get to keep her, one day I would like to get to keep a CC'd pup.I love your new header btw :))

Having two pet dogs, I think we might be working on having the dogs BACK on the floor as they are really obnoxious and possessive of the couch! LOL!

Ally and Eclipse  – (November 30, 2009 at 2:25 PM)  

I love cuddling with the dogs on the couch, although Alex could do without it ;-) I'm happy you get to experience Cabana as a Dog now rather than a puppy in training first and foremost. If anyone I know can handle a dog with Cabana's exuberant outlook on life, it's your family. You'll love her for many many years and I look forward to hearing, er, reading all about it! :-D

Becky Andrews  – (November 30, 2009 at 6:09 PM)  

Oh, that is so sweet. Sounds like a great life, Cabana. I have a good friend who uses the blanket as the sign of permission and it works beautifully.

Emily and the Labradors  – (November 30, 2009 at 6:36 PM)  

Yeah... I used to be such a stickler about no dogs on furniture even with my pet dog. But now I am ashamed (or pleased?) to say that Ellis is pretty permanently situated at my feet on the end of the couch. He is the only one allowed on the couch though... nothing like double standards! I'm afraid he doesn't even ask anymore, he just gets up. Gelly is way too pushy to be allowed up so I don't think I will open that can of worms! I did try her on the bed for a few nights, but I slept poorly, so I then spent 2 months training that back out of her ;) We all are universally enjoying breaking the ball and treat rules though!

Carrie and Waffle  – (November 30, 2009 at 10:54 PM)  

Cabana - welcome to the CC'd pack! Life is great. don't worry about this invitation only stuff. Wait until it gets cold and then throw them the puppy eyes. If you are really good, you'll score some peanut butter, as well. I like PB on carrots and apples try it some time.
welcome to the best time of your life.
love
Waffles

Infrequent Flyers  – (December 1, 2009 at 9:53 AM)  

Sam, I love your story about your mom! It sounds exactly like something I'd do!

I think the lines get blurred so easily with things like the couch. I'd have a hard time reprimanding Cabana for being on the couch if I came into the room and saw her snuggled up on it, even without the blanket! I can see bending the rules, then bending them a little more, and then...what rules?

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP