Last Jacketed Outings

One of my favorite things to do with Cabana was to walk to the grocery store in our neighborhood. Because it's only a couple blocks away, instead of doing big weekly shopping trips, I'd usually just buy enough for that night's dinner and, if I wasn't too lazy, the next night's, plus whatever other incidentals. We'd then walk back home with the heavy filled reusable grocery sack slung over my shoulder.

Because we were at this grocery store several times a week, all the grocery clerks knew Cabana well. They were always interested in her growth and progress, having seen her with me since she was just 3-4 months old. I'd almost feel like I was disappointing them if I went there without her in tow!

So yesterday, I took Cabana there for the last time and let the clerks know that this would be Cabana's last trip to the grocery store. They were all so sad to know she'd been career changed, but very happy and relieved that we'd be keeping her as our pet.

Cabana sitting on path with her Guide Dog jacket on, near metal postsHere's the path that takes us to the grocery store. There are metal posts sticking up that allow pedestrians and bikes, but block cars from driving through. For months, I'd walk through one of the openings and let Cabana walk through another, lifting my arm and leash over the post. But then, I realized that wasn't a good habit for a guide dog. So I started having Cabana walk through the same opening as me, figuring she'd need to guide a blind person that way. Of course, now it doesn't matter--but I thought about that every time we went through those posts.

We also went to CVS and Trader Joe's, where the clerks also know Cabana well. After telling them about Cabana's CC, a few people asked me if we'd be able to keep the jacket, thinking that I could still "sneak" her in! I was surprised by their assumption that I'd be so willing to commit felony! Yikes.

Cabana sitting in CVS, in front of store shelf with electronics and such

I felt REALLY foolish taking these photos in CVS and in front of Trader Joe's. From the looks on Cabana's face, I think she felt foolish, too! Oh, the sacrifices we make for our blog!!

Cabana in her jacket in parking lot in front of Trader Joe'sI'm really going to miss taking Cabana to stores. I was never popular in high school (or at any other time), but going shopping with her gave me instant popularity! OK, I know people weren't noticing ME so much as they were noticing HER--but still, it was nice to get such glances of admiration. And although I complained about it sometimes, I loved the interaction with people, getting to explain about Guide Dogs and puppy raising. I think I will definitely puppy sit so I won't lose those experiences all together.

Anonymous –   – (December 1, 2009 at 9:30 AM)  

I'm so glad you are going to continue to puppy-sit. :) It sounds like Cabana is having a wonderful time in your home.

Ro  – (December 1, 2009 at 9:38 AM)  

I have to admit, I thought, oh why can't she keep the jacket and just pretend? Hehe don't tell GDB I thought that ;)

I'm sure all those clerks will still as you about Cabana every time you're in there. Here, my clerks ask when I'm getting my dog lol!

I can't wait hear more adventures!

Ally and Eclipse  – (December 1, 2009 at 10:40 AM)  

Very bittersweet, but what a sweet post! You and Cabana will both settle quickly into doing other things besides public outings, such things as going to the dog park ;-)

I just wanted to say that I LOVE your profile, we hope to see a new puppy in your loving arms as soon as you, and Cabana, are ready for it!

Infrequent Flyers  – (December 1, 2009 at 3:28 PM)  

Ha ha, Ally--of course you like my new profile. It's full of parentheses, and after all, you're Ms. Parenthetical Phrase herself! (wink!)

Ally and Eclipse  – (December 1, 2009 at 3:39 PM)  

Oh yes! 60% of my post and 98% of what I mean to say are in parentheses! :-D

Lisa and pups  – (December 1, 2009 at 6:20 PM)  

I agree about the popularity thing!!! So glad everyone got to say their goodbyes to Cabana.

Becky Andrews  – (December 1, 2009 at 8:04 PM)  

I think that is so good you were able to do that today. You know I totally would of done the same thing :D

Erin  – (December 1, 2009 at 8:43 PM)  

Aaah yes I attribute puppy raising to me coming out of my "shy shell"

Sarah and the Pack.  – (December 1, 2009 at 9:09 PM)  

What a fun last outing, to go somewhere that everyone knows Cabana. I am glad you will still puppy sit and get that 'popularity' fix. I know sometimes that can make my day (of course the ones where everyone notices you because your puppy is doing something naughty are not so wonderful...)

Keep the adventures coming!

On a side note...I had someone offer me $200 dollars for Rafferty's puppy coat in a store on Monday. Weirdest guy I have encountered in a long time.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP