Don't Litter, Spay or Neuter

white t shirt that says I spade my dog, but the spade is a spade like on a playing cardI can't wear this t-shirt yet, but I'd be able to next week (if I owned it). Cabana is scheduled for her spay on Wednesday, December 16. That was the earliest date available at GDB vet clinic when I called right after Cabana was career changed. At the time, I thought that date was too far away and that SURELY Cabana would go into season in the interim. Then, I'd need to call and reschedule for a few weeks after she was finished being in season.

BUT, NO! At over 14 months of age, still no season for Cabana! Hopefully, she can hold out a few days longer so she can be spayed as scheduled.

I'll bring her in the day before, they'll keep her overnight, perform the operation. Then, I pick her up the following day, on Thursday. As luck would have it, months ago, we had planned a party at our house for that Saturday, just 3 days after her operation. We'll probably keep her upstairs in our bedroom so she won't get overly excited with all the people and festivities.

I know Cabana will have to wear an e-collar for a couple weeks and that she'll need to stay fairly still and unexcited for her recovery. But I don't really know much else about what to expect. I'd appreciate any tips and warnings.

After Cabana gets spayed, I can finally get her a city dog license (we didn't have one previously since she wasn't really our dog). If I get her a license without having her spayed first, it costs more than 3 times as much as for a spayed/neutered dog.

Then, after I get her dog license and after she's recuperated from her surgery, I can finally take her to the dog park! There's a fabulous private dog park nearby, where there are 3 separately fenced areas. So if there's a dog that doesn't get along with yours, you can go to one of the other areas. This place also has obedience training, canine good citizen testing, agility, doggie daycare, AND sheep herding! I don't think we'll do the sheep herding, but I'm looking forward to trying just about every other feature they offer.

Heather and Kelly  – (December 12, 2009 at 4:17 PM)  

Good luck with Cabana's spay!

Ellie's was mostly no big deal.
She didn't spend the night at the vet's, I picked her up in the afternoon. Later in the night she whined a bunch because she was in pain, but you probably won't have to deal with that if Cabana is staying the night.

The vet said no exercise for 10-14 days, which wasn't too hard because Ellie was a pretty low-energy dog when she was younger (she's gathering more energy as she gets older).

What I thought was interesting is that when I picked up Ellie from the vet's she had no e-collar with her so I asked why not. The vet tech said the females don't tend to need them.
It's true, Ellie tried to lick the incision a couple times, but when I took her head away from her belly, she pretty much forgot about it. It's hard to believe, if I had a slice in my belly I would give it way more attention than what she gave hers!

I never let her out of my sight for more than a few minutes unless she was deep asleep, so I could catch her if she was worrying her incision. I made sure she slept really close to me so I would wake up if heard her licking.

All that supervision might not be an option for you, so it's probably a good idea to get an e-collar if Cabana is going to be left alone, which it sounds like she will.

Have fun, and I love the t-shirt!

Martha G  – (December 12, 2009 at 6:00 PM)  

Ardella was spayed while she was on campus in August so I didn't experience aftercare for her. I was told she hated being touched after surgery and resented anyone who checked her incision - she'd sulk for hours.

I can't wait until you can go to the private dog park. I think Cabana will have a blast!

OSU 98  – (December 12, 2009 at 8:07 PM)  

Coming from someone who just had a dog dig out staples from an incision, I would say make sure if she is unsupervised you have the ecollar on. You know about my recent experince, so you can always email me.

Sarah and the Pack.  – (December 12, 2009 at 8:18 PM)  

I have been around many dogs after their spay/neuter surgeries, and males tend to link their incisions much more than females. An e-collar is a great thing to have as a backup, but I know quite a few dogs who would not even move with one on.

The biggest thing is to keep them calm for the first couple of days, and no baths for 10 days following the surgery. Girls don't bounce back quite as quickly as boys, but you will be suprised how quickly she is back to her old self.

Have fun at that dog park: it sounds awesome!!!

Natalie  – (December 12, 2009 at 8:44 PM)  

I don't have any spay advice as both of mine have been males, but I just wanted to say that dog park sounds amazing and I can't wait to hear lots of stories of Cabana having a great time there!

Hobbes Dogs  – (December 12, 2009 at 9:24 PM)  

That is a great t-shirt! Fingers crossed that she can wait a few more days and get her surgery over with now rather than later. My girl Dallas was over 15 months when she went into heat for the first time ... I was very thankful as she'd already been recalled by then so I didn't have to deal with it.

I agree with Heather ... I haven't had any big problems with my dogs after their spay/neuter. Just keep them quiet for ~10 days and check to make sure the incision is healing. I'm sure the vet clinic will tell you all that too. We don't usually put e-collar on our dogs here, and haven't had any issues with licking, but some vets will recommend them to be on the safe side, which is never a bad thing. We'll be sending good thoughts Cabana's way for an easy surgery and quick recovery!

I have the same issue with licensing where I live. Since Dallas is a breeder (and obviously not spayed) I have to pay the super-high fee. Thankfully, they will give me licenses for my puppies in training for free, so at least I don't have to pay for two intact dogs.

Your dog park sounds awesome - we want to come visit!

Unknown  – (December 13, 2009 at 1:52 PM)  

Saga, the dam of Fullerton and Forte, did not go into season until she was 16 months old. Nothing while raising her and three weeks after she entered training, ta-da! I'd say being around other females in season caused it, but we had three females in my club go at the same time and it did not affect her. As the breeding department has found from her litters, she comes in when she wants.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP