One Year Ago

me holding baby Cabana in my arms; photo taken from an unattractive angle from below so we both have horrid double chinsOn December 10, 2008, I brought Cabana home. I picked her up at Guide Dogs for the Blind's holiday luncheon fundraiser, thinking she'd be ours for a year.

I think back on all the silly things we did as first time raisers. I was always worried that Cabana would sleep too much during the day and not sleep at night, like a human baby that has her days and nights mixed up. So I didn't want her to nap at all after 8pm. I did EVERYTHING I could think of to keep her awake--a lot of vacuuming, clapping, tickling, taking her outside into the cold night air. But no matter what we did, she'd fall asleep anyway. Of course now I know that we didn't need to go through such histrionics, since puppies sleep like narcoleptics.

I also remember our puppy group leader showing us how to do puppy handling, which is a daily exercise we do to get our pups used to being touched. We open their mouths and look at their teeth, look inside their ears and get familiar with how their ears smell, hold each paw, look between the toes, rub their bellies, and give a quick massage. I didn't think I'd ever be comfortable prying open Cabana's mouth--but after doing it a thousand times, it's like nothing to me now!

cabana sitting at the top of our stairs with her paw dangling over; santa and snowman stuffed dolls on the side of every other stairI don't think I realized before how much of my heart I held in reserve when I thought that Cabana was only ours for a year. I can't believe we ever thought about not keeping her as our pet--just thinking about that possibility breaks my heart! We really feel that we got the best dog in the world.

Cabana was with us last Christmas, and since she was so little then, we had to barricade our Christmas tree so she couldn't get to it. This year, we didn't barricade the tree, and Cabana hasn't touched a single ornament. In the photo above, I debated putting out these stuffed snowmen and Santa dolls. We put them on our stairs like this every year, but I thought maybe we shouldn't this year, so they wouldn't be a temptation for Cabana.

But Cabana is SO well-mannered. She hasn't touched a single one of them. She somehow knows that these toys are not for her. I don't really know how she knows this, especially since she loves to play with the singing Santa dog, which isn't all that different from these stair decorations. All I can say is, she's one smart cookie!

Becky Andrews  – (December 10, 2009 at 3:40 PM)  

Oh, Cabana you are one lucky girl! I laughed about the sleeping -- had the same thought. Happy Holidays.

Sierra Rose  – (December 10, 2009 at 4:31 PM)  

Ah! SO sweet. Love the Santas on the stairs with Cabana at the top.

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

Ro  – (December 10, 2009 at 5:36 PM)  

Awesome!!! December 10 is my Mom's birthday, and I think she's smiling down on both of us today :)

So glad Cabana is your forever pup!!

Sarah and the Pack.  – (December 10, 2009 at 6:53 PM)  

Cabana is a good girl: and one lucky dog! Happy 1 year anniversary!

Erin  – (December 10, 2009 at 7:11 PM)  

Aww Happy 1 year anniversary!!

OSU 98  – (December 10, 2009 at 9:08 PM)  

Cabana...you didn't know it, but 12/10/08 was the best day of your life!!!! What a good girl you are!

Carrie and Waffle  – (December 10, 2009 at 11:38 PM)  

wow thats so cute! you really tried to keep her up! I used to tell my girls it was their job to sleep. LOL

Ally and Eclipse  – (December 11, 2009 at 8:16 PM)  

Happy one year! I'm sure this isn't anywhere near where you'd be at this time this year, but it sounds like it's worked out for the best for all involved so congrats on the 1 year anniversary and have your girl home, forever and a day :-D

Ally and Eclipse  – (December 11, 2009 at 11:01 PM)  

oops, I meant where you thought you'd be!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP