Guten Tag!

gold placard that came attached to Cabana's big girl collarGuide Dogs gives puppy raisers an assortment of items, along with their new puppy. One of them is a "big" collar, which Cabana started wearing at around 5 months. It's a nice black collar with an engraved metal placard/tag that has Guide Dogs' name and phone number, as well as the dog's tattoo ID (the ID that is tattooed into the pup's ears).

replacement gold placard for Cabana now that she's career changedIn yesterday's mail, we got our official adoption papers from Guide Dogs. Along with the papers was a new replacement placard. It's a bit hard to see in the photo, but it reads, "I'm proud to be a career change dog from Guide Dogs for the Blind, Inc." Like the old tag, it also has Guide Dogs' phone number and Cabana's tattoo ID engraved on it.

I was so touched to get this placard and pleased that Cabana can continue wearing her big girl collar. I had bought her a new red collar--but I think the old black one is so much more flattering (black is my favorite color to wear).

I was also impressed by Guide Dogs' commitment to Cabana's continued well-being. The fact that they put their phone number on the new tag shows that they are willing to be contacted, should Cabana ever be lost or found. They also say in the paperwork that if, for any reason or at any time, we decide not to keep Cabana, they would be happy to find her a new home. Although I'm quite confident we won't ever need to use their placement services (even after she's been a mad dog), it's still reassuring to know Guide Dogs will still provide that kind of support.

How much cheaper and easier it would be for Guide Dogs to say, "Good riddance!" to their career changed dogs. But instead, they say, "We're still here for you." What an awesome organization!

Brandon - The dog with a blog  – (December 23, 2009 at 11:26 AM)  

How cute, we are glad she is proud to be a CC dog:)
They do sound like a great organization!

Toby's Trainer
SEGDI Raiser

mariahleadme  – (December 23, 2009 at 12:16 PM)  

Yeah....we know what you mean about the tags. When Mariah retired, she got the "I am proud to be a Retired GDB Guide dog." tag for her collar and we added it to the existing tag with her ID and the phone number. She is still using the same chain collar she had when my wife graduated with her in 2001 at San Rafael along with the same leash from graduation, but the harness had to go back when she went to Boring to recieve Roanna in 2006.
Every once in a while, Mariah will get up when my wife goes to harness Roanna, with a "OK, so can I go this time?" look on her face.
Wally (the pup we are raising) gets excited when his vest comes out.......he already knows what it means.

Becky Andrews  – (December 23, 2009 at 1:04 PM)  

Sweet - LOVE GDB and their commitment to their dogs. Pantera's collar that she wore proudly after saying she was a retired guide is hanging in a special place.

Martha G  – (December 23, 2009 at 4:23 PM)  

I love the new plate, too, but I can't figure out how to get the old plate off and the new one on! How did you do it?

Ro  – (December 23, 2009 at 4:35 PM)  

This is so wonderful!!!! Makes me proud to hopefully one day call myself a GDB student and graduate! How touching...*sniff* hehe!

OSU 98  – (December 24, 2009 at 7:38 AM)  

She will go on to do great things as a CC dog!!!!

Sierra Rose  – (December 28, 2009 at 2:58 PM)  

Hiiiiii Cabana!
That is really wonderful on Guide Dogs. They are so dedicated and appreciative.
Gosh..mom just read the Mad Dog post!..And, I do the SAME THING on walkies! Cabana should be good to go with the incision soon, no?
Mom has started playing some 2 ball up / down the stairs with me if I am riled up in the morning BEFORE we go out, or intense obedience practices in the kitchen while mom is making coffee. I do wear the harness, you asked about only on walkies. This was recommended by Marin Humane Society. It works, and we have not noticed chaffing, but if I am really wild, mom will do the harness and (gently) the pinch collar. But, typically, on walks, I am wearing the harness on a retractable lead. I do the same thing on walkies when passing other doggies and I can't play or I just get jumpy, bitey on mom. So far, nothing has worked, but the MHS trainer suggested spraying mom's arms with Bitter Apple, until I know snaggling her is off limits. As far as we know, it is a puppy thing, but we need to stop this behavior.
Sorry for the long email!!!! Email us if you would like to discuss further...I am 9mo, and giving mom a pretty hard time right now!

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose (and MOM!)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP