Little Miss Starshine is Back in Action

Hooray! Cabana got her spay stitches out today. Overall, the healing process was quick and uneventful, as many commenters predicted. The timing was fortunate in some ways, with my daughters on vacation from school. It was easy to have someone watching Cabana the whole time, saving her from prolonged use of the e-collar.

cabana laying with bald tummy exposed so you can see her scar, healed nicely and without stitches
Unfortunately, Cabana missed out on a lot of fun holiday events because of her spay. We had a big party at our house, just 2 days after the surgery. She would have loved to be in the thick of things, but not this time. Then on Christmas Day, we went into San Francisco and enjoyed a beautiful day, going to lunch and a museum. Too bad no more jacketed outings for Cabana, the one big drawback of being a pet instead of a working dog! And two days ago, we had relatives visiting us all the way from Australia. We took them to a lot of places, including the beach, but again, no running for Cabana, so she had to stay home. Poor thing doesn't even know what she missed.

cabana holding a star shaped toy with smiley face on it
At least Cabana got some nice Christmas toys! Most of them are already somewhat demolished, but here's one I just pulled out for her today. A fleecey star with innards yet intact...

cabana chewing the heck out of the same star toy...for the next 5 minutes anyway.

When we were at Guide Dogs today, we stopped at the reception desk, and guess who was hanging out behind the desk?! It's Forte, Fullerton's brother. He is such a handsome guy, currently being evaluated as a breeder.
golden brown labrador on tiedown behind reception deskI have to say, Guide Dogs' puppies seem to be getting more and more good looking. When entering the kennels, we passed by a lot of dogs, all poking their heads up to see who's coming in. Today as Cabana and I walked by, I thought, these dogs are all SO gorgeous. Kudos to the breeding department! They sure know how to pick 'em (even if they did miss out on having a Mama Cabana).

OSU 98  – (December 28, 2009 at 4:41 PM)  

Dear Cabana,

That was good planning on your mom's part for the timing of the spay...the e-collar is the most miserable thing ever invented for the dog!!!

I am glad you are able to run freely again!!! I am still down, somewhat. No tearing up and down the stairs, and I still can't figure out why mom won't throw my toys when I bring them to her - I swear my leg feels fine. Oh well, I heard mom say I see Dr. Kennedy next week...please pray for FREEDOM for me!!!

Glad you are feeling better.

Very Sincerely,

The Chelsie Belle

Deborah  – (December 28, 2009 at 5:01 PM)  

Hi,
I'm glad Cabana spay went well! That is always a relief! Going to San Francisco on Christmas must have been nice, I have not been there in years now. My old boss lived on Sea Cliffs over looking the Golden State Bridge. It was beautiful!!
Anyways, I hope you have a Happy New Year! Deborah
PS. I like the Christmas star Cabana got!

Brandon - The dog with a blog  – (December 28, 2009 at 5:19 PM)  

You may have missed out on a lot, but hey you got lots of good looking toys!!

We are glad you have your stitches out:)

Merry Christmas!

Toby's Trainer
SEGDI Raiser

Becky Andrews  – (December 28, 2009 at 6:16 PM)  

Sounds like you have a wonderful Christmas! Glad the recovery has been smooth, Miss Cabana.

Emily and the Labradors  – (December 28, 2009 at 7:55 PM)  

Glad Cabana is back in action! I think my dogs used to have that same stuffed toy! Did she end up getting a bristle bone? My dogs thank you for prompting me to order more, as they have been chewing them for hours every day for the last week!

Infrequent Flyers  – (December 28, 2009 at 9:46 PM)  

Hi Emily, I didn't buy the bristle bone yet--but I did see one in a store today. That thing is huge!! Do you usually get the large size or the medium? And did you say that you make your own replacement gnawhides?

Sierra Rose  – (December 28, 2009 at 9:49 PM)  

Yay sweet Cabana! Glad you are back in action. Love that smiley star fuzzie!

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

Kengiboo  – (December 29, 2009 at 5:16 AM)  

Yay Cabana - so glad you're better.

Emily and the Labradors  – (December 29, 2009 at 8:24 AM)  

Yep, I buy the large... seems to work out well for them, but I haven't actually tried the medium. As for the treat rings, yes I do make a refill or sorts myself. I know rawhide isn't generally very recommended (and not approved for puppies), but in this small of a quantity and in a way that they can't swallow a big piece, I personally don't have concerns (I'll just wait for all the naysayers to chime in on this one) and have been happy with the amount of entertainment the dogs get (1-2 hours per refill, and I usually just put one ring it it). What I did was buy a big bag of rawhide "flips" which are just flat pieces of rawhide maybe 2x6". I then cut them in half (using a crappy old pair of scissors) and drill a hole in the middle of each half with a large drill bit. I had to actually invest $4 in a bigger drill bit, but for about the price of one set of refills from the company I made about 100, and I don't have to buy a new drill bit every time, so the value goes up! It is a little tedious, but I am always up for a dog related craft project ;) I might try and post some pic on my blog later.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP