Her Name is Mud

For the past few days, I've been taking Cabana to a new dog park. It's the perfect walking distance from our house (about 2 miles), so we walk there, then Cabana gets playtime, and then I walk a too-tired-to-pull Cabana back home. The dog park is actually a soccer/softball field, but during winter, when no one is using the fields, dogs are allowed off-leash from 6am until 3pm. I've walked past this place hundreds of times but had never read the sign until this week! Hey, they don't say I'm quick on the uptake for nothing. But I suppose it's just as well since it would have been a forbidden temptation to bring her here before now anyway.

Yesterday, Cabana got to play with a lot of great dogs there--but her favorite was the sweetest little pit bull named Kona. She was newly rescued from a shelter just the day before and loved herding Cabana, who it seems loved to be herded! I didn't have my camera--drat! But I made sure I had it with me today....

Except NO ONE ELSE was there this morning! Maybe it was a bit too early (I left the house at 7:30), and it was a Sunday, and very, very foggy.

In fact, the fog was so thick that I couldn't see Cabana when she went to the other side of the field. I wasn't too worried because the field is fenced, but I ambled over to find her--should I be surprised at what I found her doing?!

Yep, another mud puddle!


cabana ramrodding toward me through the mud puddle at full speed, which is about 10 feet wide, you can see the splash of the water behind her
cabana turning in the puddle, water flying
cabana standing still at the edge of the mud puddle, ears forward as she curiously checks out a little white seagull feather
Cabana was a bit freaked out by this seagull feather, above. She was checking it out intently. (Cabana does this at home with escaped feathers from our down pillows--it's so funny how dismayed she is by them!)

I'm doing a little experiment. I'm going to take Cabana to this dog park every day for a week and see if it makes any difference in her dog distraction. I don't know if I should really count today, though, since she didn't actually get to play with any dogs!

Erin  – (January 3, 2010 at 6:42 PM)  

I think eventually you will see a difference but probably not right away! Love the new blog layout btw!

Brandon - The dog with a blog  – (January 3, 2010 at 7:02 PM)  

Oh my, she is so cute!
I love the movie:)

Toby's Trainer
SEGDI Raiser

Ally and Eclipse  – (January 3, 2010 at 7:22 PM)  

she looks so happy playing in the mud! Bliss for Cabana :-D

Brittany  – (January 3, 2010 at 8:27 PM)  

I hope that she does improve on her dog distraction. Give it some time though, as Erin suggested.

I love the pictures of her in the puddle! She looks like she is loving life as a cc!

Natalie  – (January 3, 2010 at 9:53 PM)  

haha I like the video. I tried to explain all that was happening to Darrell. He listed to it about 3 times and laughed harder each time. He likes the part where she kind of smacks the puddle with her chest right before she runs to you.

Infrequent Flyers  – (January 3, 2010 at 10:07 PM)  

Yes, I do think Cabana is enjoying life--she'd better be with all the messes she's making with her mud!

Natalie, it's so funny because I always keep my computer on mute. I hadn't listened to the video myself until I just read your comment! I didn't even notice her chest splash by watching it--but you definitely CAN hear it!! Ha ha!!

Sierra Rose  – (January 3, 2010 at 10:48 PM)  

Oh MUD! You are going to get lots of baths (not the mud kind) Cabana, pal....but, keep on findin' those super puddles!

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

OSU 98  – (January 4, 2010 at 6:44 AM)  

I am sure it warmed your heart to have her run at you after laying in a mud puddle. She looks so happy...even if she is a mess. :)

Katrin  – (January 4, 2010 at 10:11 AM)  

LOL love the photos. (just found your blog via Ro's blog though I think I have been here before through some other route, I just never posted a comment) My dogs LOVE water and therefore by default also mud, it is considered a great game to see who can come out muddier. Though the corgi nearly always wins being closer to the ground.

Lisa and pups  – (January 4, 2010 at 6:49 PM)  

Ha ha - that's quite hilarious! Love all the photos and video. She's so gonna love all the new doggie friends she makes!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP