Coming Along Nicely

Cabana and I have been working diligently on recall everyday for the past 3 months. It's a long and gradual haul! But she has progressed very well and comes about 95% of the time when off leash. Here she is, boisterously and immediately coming when called. (Ugh, I'm embarrassed of my voice, but oh well.)


Video description: We're in a big open field of grass with a fence and buildings off in the distance. Cabana is running around a short distance away in tall grass, but when I call her, she makes a beeline toward me.

Even when I don't call her, she likes to come running back to me. This is so rewarding, as well as such a relief. I feel so much more confident about letting her off leash now as compared to even a month ago.


Video description: Cabana running through the long grass, she circles around and comes to a stop after passing me.

But there's still that 5% of the time when I know Cabana's too involved in whatever is distracting her. Here, it's a big swampy, marshy puddle of water. Usually, I leash her when we're getting close to this puddle, but she's been really good about listening when I say "uh uh" (meaning, don't go there) or "this way" (change your direction). This morning, I thought I'd try keeping her off leash as we passed by the puddle. I called her once, but then I gave up and took this video instead. As long as she doesn't drink the water, I'm not that concerned.


Video description: There's a pond/puddle larger than an average living room, with tall reeds and grass growing in it. Cabana skirts the puddle, thrashes through one side, exits the pond and then runs around in a circle on the other side.

Well, next time we pass this puddle, I think I'll have to go back to leashing her. ;)

Brandon - The dog with a blog  – (March 23, 2010 at 10:34 AM)  

I love that video of her running in the puddle, she is soo cute!!

Sierra Rose  – (March 23, 2010 at 11:12 AM)  

This is great!!!! Love this post, and just made a big note to practice recalls EVERYDAY! I'm not trusting SR so much, as you know, but do know she really wants to just run! Loved watching Cabana zoom around! Was the puddle one in a fenced area? And, are you recalling with treats?
Thanks for posting on this!!!
And...yes, we like to get away with camping or snowtime most weekends when we can. Will transition to more local trips soon :)

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose and mom

Beth and Alfie  – (March 23, 2010 at 11:55 AM)  

Oh, such fun videos...Cabana has such "joie de vivre"! You have a NICE happy voice, that's probably why Cabana's so happy to come!! Haha! :-)

I laughed at the one where she's jumping all around through the water...I sympathize with you, she'll be so muddy...but she's so cute & happy! What a girl.

Infrequent Flyers  – (March 23, 2010 at 12:34 PM)  

Alphie's raiser--thanks for saying I have a nice voice! Telemarketers like to ask me if my mother is home, so I tell them, no, she's not. And that ends the call quickly. ;)

Sierra, we use Iams Biscuits for recall. Cabana seems to love them. There's a fence that keeps intruders from going into the vineyard behind this field, but it's not really fenced. Cabana could run pretty far away from me if she wanted to. We walked this path at least 8 times before I felt comfortable letting her off for even a few minutes here and there.

Erin  – (March 23, 2010 at 4:39 PM)  

LOL She looks so happy running through the puddles! Great job on her recall! :))

OSU 98  – (March 23, 2010 at 5:19 PM)  

What a dog. Watching her run through those puddles with such joy made my day. :)

Lisa and pups  – (March 23, 2010 at 5:46 PM)  

Those are great!!! All that hard work has paid off!

Mandy and Supreme  – (March 23, 2010 at 6:14 PM)  

good work Mimi and good work Cabana! Cancun came running when he heard the first video. Something about the hard "C" sound!

Kari in Alaska  – (March 23, 2010 at 6:45 PM)  

looks to me like you are doing great! recall is super difficult

Becky Andrews  – (March 23, 2010 at 8:11 PM)  

Good girl, Cabana. Funny I also get asked if my mom is home! Love that Cricket is so great at recall.

Carrie and Waffle  – (March 23, 2010 at 9:53 PM)  

ok I gues I need to get on the ball with waffle. nice job!

JacksDad  – (March 23, 2010 at 10:56 PM)  

If you can get her to pass the puddle, please let me know how you did it!! :)

MK  – (March 23, 2010 at 11:52 PM)  

I too love how happy Cabana looked to fly through that puddle! Such unabashed joy! She seems like such a happy girl.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP