Our New Favorite Walking Path

a beautiful and serene scenic shot of cabana sitting in lush green grass, she's looking calmly off to the side. growing a few feet behind cabana is a row of yellow mustard flowers, then beyond that are rolling green hills with dark green trees spotting here and there, the sky is a soft blue with fluffy white cloudsThough I've lived in this town for 10 years, in the past year with Cabana, so many new horizons have opened up to me. Now, I go to places that I've driven by a thousand times without ever knowing what was there. One new horizon is just a few blocks away from my daughters' high school. Cabana and I drop the girls off in the morning, then drive to a (seemingly) little-known walking path that meanders by cow pastures, a vineyard, a little creek, an airfield and ends up at a park.

a curving creek meanders through the photo in an s shape, there are some small rock beds, green grass and trees, cabana is up on one of the banks of the creek looking at the waterThe creek comes up early on in our walk, but I make Cabana wait until the return trip to get in the water. That way, we can wash away some of the muck from the muddy fields. I suspect it's the mud that is keeping the path fairly untraveled right now. In a few weeks, who knows, everyone and their dog might be on it. But for now, I've got my boots, and we'll enjoy the solitude while we can.

there's a dilapidated fence with some falling down areas, cabana is on this side of the fence in tall grass, she's nearly hidden by the grass, but you can see the top half of her skulking through it, there is a vineyard on the other side of the fence with lots of stakes that the vines are tied to, along with yellow mustard flowers, and hills in the backgroundCabana loves bounding through tall grass. She reminds me of a lion cub on a play prowl when she does this.

cabana sitting close up with 4 or 5 orange california poppies blooming in front of herCalifornia poppies are just beginning to spring up everywhere. Whenever I see one, I think of our good friend Poppy who is in formal training at Guide Dogs for the Blind. If Cabana were still a puppy-in-training, we'd probably have been turning her in this weekend. It makes me a bit sad still that she didn't make it to formal training--I just see so much potential in her!! But yes, I also see her drawbacks, and of course, we LOVE our lives together--so I know Cabana and my family all benefited from the decision to career change her.

cabana and a rather overweight black lab are calmly looking down at a rottweiler puppy who has rolled over to show her tummy to them, the pup is wearing a blue walking harnessAfter a while, the path opens up to soccer and baseball fields. In the morning hours, dogs are allowed to run off-leash. Here, Cabana and a black lab watch as a 4-month old rottweiler pup shows her submissive side. It's a chuckle to see the way Cabana and the other lab are looking at the puppy. They seem to almost be rolling their eyes and saying, "We were NEVER as silly as you."

Ro  – (March 14, 2010 at 8:01 PM)  

Oh man that sounds absolutely beautiful. I only wish there was something like that here. Hmmm. Can we come visit? Hehe! Oh wait, I said I wouldn't fly again for awhile. Com on engineers, lets get on those transporters. Beam me up, I want that walk!

Cassie & The Dogs  – (March 14, 2010 at 9:04 PM)  

What fun!! Love the poppies! We miss our girl!

Emily and the Labradors  – (March 14, 2010 at 9:20 PM)  

That does look like an amazing place! It makes me miss living in California... I lived south of San Jose, but be had some amazing places to walk and hike too :) But I guess Colorado isn't so bad either...

Sierra Rose  – (March 15, 2010 at 11:03 AM)  

Beautiful trail!! What a great find, and so close by!
Sweet play photo!!!

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

Beth and Alfie  – (March 15, 2010 at 11:39 AM)  

Cabana's a lucky dog I think -- all those gorgeous walks! Springtime is fabulous!

Golden Samantha  – (March 16, 2010 at 9:47 AM)  

Oh wow - beautiful and great walk! Nice tall grass to play in too - Cabana looks super crouched in there! Love that last picture too! Thanks for sharing this lovely trail!
Hugs xo
Sammie

D.K. Wall  – (March 16, 2010 at 3:09 PM)  

I love vibrancy of colors in your pictures.

Becky Andrews  – (March 16, 2010 at 7:38 PM)  

That sounds so beautiful. Oh poppies - love that flower (and cheering on Poppy in training). Cabana sounds like she is so happy with her life!

Martha G  – (March 17, 2010 at 3:08 PM)  

I love the pictures. This reminds me that we have some marvelous walking trails nearby, too. Unfortunately, we don't have sunny weather!

Kari in Alaska  – (March 20, 2010 at 9:47 AM)  

wow that is beautiful! I can't wait to explore more of the places down here now that I can walk again.... kinda

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP