Scary Things

cabana happily trotting through a creek, surrounded by grass on one side and rocks on the otherIt's obvious that Cabana has no fear of water.

cabana is lying all stretched out with her back to the camera, sitting a few feet in front of her is our grey tabby Angie, cabana is looking over her shoulder at the cameraAnd she's not scaredy of cats. (I interrupted a staring contest. I think our cat Angie was the victor this time.)

at a dog park, cabana is nonchalantly trotting away from a large and muscular brown rhodesian ridgeback, who is rousting about with a golden retrieverLast week, Cabana held her own with this huge rhodesian ridgeback (hind end pictured here), even though at 110 pounds, he was over twice her size.


She's even unfazed by this noisy little plane, flying low overhead.

BUT...Cabana DOES get scared--and by the strangest things!! Some blog readers may remember our struggles with the refrigerated sections in grocery stores. That fear got better then worse, then didn't matter.

an extreme closeup of the top of cabana's head, below and to the side of her is an empty little terracotta urn with cutout floral motifs But Cabana was sure this terracotta pot had it in for her. Yesterday, when she first saw it in someone's lawn, she backed up and hackled. Talking cheerfully and reassuringly, I went up and tapped it a few times. Even then, Cabana danced and pranced around, like, "I'm not getting any closer to that fearsome object!" Today, we went back to it, and she had completely gotten over it. "Oh, that thing, pah, I know it's nothing now."

cabana is sitting with her red kong inside a red pop-up crate with door open, her green bed is stuck inside so it's very cushy and cozy in thereAnother scary object is this new pop-up crate! We rarely crate Cabana anymore, but we're going on a trip in April and will be staying in a rented house. In case we need to leave her for short periods, I didn't want her loose in a strange house. So I bought this collapsible crate, which I think both Natalie and Ro have--right? Only $25 at Target, and I love not having to store some big old thing! I thought it would be good to leave it out for a while, so Cabana could get used to it. Good idea?!

Well, I tried for over 15 minutes to get Cabana to go in the crate yesterday. She never minded the big plastic ones that we had borrowed from our puppy group. But I don't know why, she did NOT want to go in this one.

I tried everything short of brute force, while Cabana kept yawning and play bowing to show her discomfort. I threw in Charlee Bear treats, no go. I threw in baby carrots, still no. I threw in her Kong stuffed with a cookie, no way. Finally, I threw in a hunk of cheese! Still NO!!

What choice did I have, I decided to give up for the time being. But when my daughters got home from school, my younger daughter climbed in the crate, and Cabana happily dashed right in after her! Problem solved. As is evident from the photo, Cabana doesn't mind being in there one bit. In fact, she doesn't want to get out!

Ro  – (March 13, 2010 at 10:46 AM)  

Jayden doesn't like the pop up crate. Maybe if I had tried hard enough. But I don't think it's big enough for him. It says dogs up to 75 pounds and he's only 64 but still. I don't think it's tall enough. So I got him a regular kennel.

That cracks me up about the pot. I don't think Jayden has been afraid of anything yet, but only time will tell, right?

Natalie  – (March 13, 2010 at 12:25 PM)  

haha, this was a cute story :) Yup - both Ro and I have one! Bob took to it right away, well after I tossed his knuckle bone in ;)

Beth and Alfie  – (March 13, 2010 at 1:38 PM)  

That is so cute! She needed someone to test drive it for her first I guess! :-)

We've experienced the same thing with Alf -- what's scary today is fine later. So far nothing's been scary twice, thank goodness!

Lauren  – (March 13, 2010 at 2:24 PM)  

Cabana, your pop-up crate looks so comfortable! Especially with that nice, fluffy bed and kong. Good thing you've gotten used to it, I bet it's a lot more cozy than the plastic ones.

Don is the same way- nothing ever seems to phase him. But, despite his size, he used to be deathly afraid of jumping out of cars. He just didn't realize how big he was!

If you're still having a bit of trouble with Cabana going into her crate, I suggest that you feed her in there for a few days, creating a very positive association with it. We all know how much labs love their food!

Can't wait to hear more about your trip in April. I'm sure Cabana will have a blast.

~Lauren and Don

OSU 98  – (March 13, 2010 at 4:24 PM)  

Where can I sign up for your life please, Cabana?

Lisa and pups  – (March 13, 2010 at 4:38 PM)  

WOW - sounds like Ellie to be scared of silly things. One time she went into the bathroom with me at work and they had cleaned the toilets and the seats were up. She thought they were going to kill her!!! Glad she has a super family to help her through her quirky tendencies!

Cassie & The Dogs  – (March 13, 2010 at 4:41 PM)  

Hey Cabana - if you lean against the edge of that crate, you can turn it over. If you do that enough times, you can get to where ever you want to go! That was Poppy's favorite thing to do in that crate!

Is that an XL?? Did you order it or go buy it? I want an XL, but can't ever find one at the store. I want to use it for Dagan next weekend, so I better get looking fast!

In the meantime, I'll introduce him to the one we have, just in case he takes after Cabana's initial view of it!

Infrequent Flyers  – (March 13, 2010 at 4:55 PM)  

Ha ha! That Poppy is quite the clever girl. I'll keep that trick in mind when we're on our trip and keep it in between some furniture.

The crate is a large. I bought it at the store. I didn't see an XL in the store or online. You are welcome to borrow this one--but you must already have one since Poppy liked to play rollover in it!

Becky Andrews  – (March 13, 2010 at 5:15 PM)  

So cute - it is funny what concerns them and what does not. I did not know there was pop up crates. That is really a great idea. The big one is such a pain to store (neither one of my guides have been fans of staying in it). For some reason it reminded me of walking through the Oakland airport with Pantera - she looked over and saw the mirror and she was in it and she jumped.

JacksDad  – (March 13, 2010 at 8:59 PM)  

Leave it to the kids everytime! :)

Brandon - The dog with a blog  – (March 14, 2010 at 6:47 PM)  

I've never tried a pop up crate - though it would be a good exposure for Toby.

Cabana, I don't think the pot will eat you...

Kari in Alaska  – (March 20, 2010 at 9:49 AM)  

isn't it funny how dogs can be afraid of the silliest things?

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP