It's a Slippery Slope

This past week, we took a road trip up to Arcata, CA, about 5 hours north of the Bay area (we were checking out Humboldt State University for our older daughter). Luckily, Cabana got to come along on this trip. Here she is at a pit stop we made on the way at Confusion Hill, which is a kitschy attraction along the 101 freeway. I don't know why there was a huge panda statue in their parking lot--maybe that's what causes the confusion at Confusion Hill. Ha ha. Actually, the confusion has something to do with defying gravity and a big shoe...?

cabana sitting on a wooden stump in front of a 20 foot tall panda
Through VRBO, we rented a little place on Arcata Plaza that allows dogs for just a small additional cleaning fee. I was a bit nervous, because you can never really tell exactly what you're getting when you rent a place based on online photos, and doubly so when you rent a place that allows dogs. After all, photos can look deceptive, and smells can't be discerned online. But I was pleasantly surprised by this place--it was impeccably clean, thoughtfully equipped, and simply and tastefully furnished.

cabana sitting in the middle of the little living room, with TV behind her and a gas stove to her side, you can see the knees of my daughters sitting in the chairs around her, cabana has a cute little expression on her face, at least I think it's a cute expression
Outside our unit was a courtyard area with sculptures made by HSU students. The gates were closed and locked in the evenings, and it turned out to be a great place for Cabana to wander around off-leash.
cabana sitting in a cement courtyard with a metal gate behind her, there are four sculptures around her, made of metal and wood
I don't exactly know what got into us--maybe we were SUPER relaxed or just addled by the long drive. But we actually let Cabana sleep on the bed while we were there!! (It was my husband's idea, of all things.) Cabana has never been invited onto our beds at home, and she has never even attempted to get up on one. But she was pleased as punch to join us this time--she jumped right up and snuggled in. I didn't feel too guilty since Cabana had just gotten a bath before the trip, plus there weren't any instructions saying dogs weren't allowed on the bed, and the duvet cover is washable. Also, we did pay the extra cleaning fee.

cabana is laying on the bottom edge of a queen size bed on a fluffy tan duvet, it's a simply decorated and serene looking room with two large windows behind the bed, black and white framed pictures on the walls which are painted soft grey
So, we broke our no-dog-on-the-bed rule, even if it is just our own rule. And then...further down the slippery slope we fell! On the car ride home, we let Cabana sit on the seats! Usually, she sits on the floorboard behind the driver's seat. But this time, she was happy as a clam in between my younger daughter and me, looking out the window or curling up in a circle.

cabana sleeping on the seat of the car, with her head resting near my daughter who is playing her handheld Nintendo DS video games
There's just three words for this kind of behavior:
1. SPOILED.

2. SPOILED.

3. SPOILED!

Beth and Alfie  – (April 10, 2010 at 7:35 PM)  

Cabana looks SO happy, slip-slidin' away down the slippery slope! ;-)

Kari in Alaska  – (April 10, 2010 at 7:43 PM)  

nothing wrong with being spoiled :)

Lauren  – (April 10, 2010 at 7:44 PM)  

Sounds like everyone enjoyed the trip (especially Cabana!) Looks like a really nice place- Cabana looks very comfy up on the bed.

Sarah and the Pack.  – (April 10, 2010 at 9:56 PM)  

Have to echo there is nothing wrong with being spoiled. I even know of some working guides who are allowed on furniture. Just personal choice I guess!

Carrie and Waffle  – (April 10, 2010 at 11:50 PM)  

welcome to the club, what took ya' so long?

OSU 98  – (April 11, 2010 at 4:30 AM)  

I prefer to think of it as "puppies who are better behaved get more privileges!" You are a good girl Cabana!

Heather and Kelly  – (April 11, 2010 at 6:27 AM)  

Lucky Cabana! She does look happy with the new arrangement. What a fun trip--since Cabana isn't a pup in training anymore, I'm guessing she's pretty thrilled to go somewhere new.

Vida de Vienna  – (April 11, 2010 at 9:27 AM)  

I agree. What took you so long :) You know, she is not a guide dog puppy anymore and with that comes "special" previldges. Speaking of a guide dog, Wendy my last pup to graduate recently took a plane trip with her handler. Well, guess where Wendy rode on the plane? Nope, not on the floor under the seat. She rode in her handlers lap looking out the window for the entire trip! Can you believe that? Now that is spolied. But I love that. This reminds me that I was going to write a blog post about this, because I spoke to my first pups handler the other day, and you guessed it, she told me a similiar story!

Golden Samantha  – (April 11, 2010 at 10:02 AM)  

ROT ROH - (to furamily:)I foresee problems in your future! (To Cabana:) work it baby!!! Looks like a great place to have stayed! How did your daughter like Humboldt?
Hugs xo
Sammie

Lisa and pups  – (April 11, 2010 at 10:28 AM)  

Isn't it the best having a CC?? It's kinda fun breaking the "rules"! :D Looks like you had a good trip!

Infrequent Flyers  – (April 11, 2010 at 11:00 AM)  

Yes, it's fun to spoil Cabana--but I just get concerned about where it will end up. Pretty soon, we'll be asking her for permission to sleep on the bed!

Sammie, my daughter liked Humboldt okay, but I don't think it will be her first choice. It's a beautiful school, though, with an attractively low tuition!

L^2  – (April 11, 2010 at 11:56 AM)  

Haha... It looks like Cabana is enjoying the relaxed rules! I've been meaning to write a post on this same topic though, so I know exactly how you feel.

I've been slipping on a few of the rules I've always maintained for Willow too. While there's a part of me that thinks it's okay to spoil her a little more since she's retired now, I also know that it could make things more difficult for me whenever the new guide dog comes home.

Erin  – (April 12, 2010 at 12:49 PM)  

Cabana welcome too pet life!!!! :))

Martha G  – (April 12, 2010 at 6:16 PM)  

Ardella says, "Way to go cuz! I was on that slippery slope on day 1 of coming home, but my people do kick me out of bed at light's out."

I love Eureka/Arcata area, we'll have to check out the cabins you stayed in.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP