Tuesday Topics #22 - Cleaning Collars

cabana laying on her dog bed with her three collars laid out in front of herIt's been a while since I've pulled out a Tuesday Topic, but I'd love to get some tips on cleaning dog collars.

Cabana has three collars, not because I want an array of colors (although that's kind of fun, too), but because they get so stinky! Sometimes, I would lean in to give her a snuggle, and blecch, I'd think she needed a bath really badly. Then I realized it wasn't really her that smelled at all--it was just her collar!

She does get wet a lot, either from jumping into puddles or from morning dew on the grassy fields. I'm thinking that's what causes her collars to have a musty rank odor.

How do you wash your dog collars and how often? Do you throw them in the dishwasher or laundry machine? If so, do you even do that with your GDB collars? Does it affect the metal plate? And do you throw them in the dryer, too? I don't want them to shrink--or stink!

I've been handwashing the collars with hand soap and a scrub brush. And I've been letting them air dry--but I think the air drying is what makes them smell, because they don't dry quickly enough. I could put them outside in the sun now, but it's not always sunny. What do you all do?

Sarah and Romeo  – (April 6, 2010 at 2:42 PM)  

I always wash collars, leashes, haltis about once every 3 months. put them right in the washing machine never had a problem, occasionally after the first spin i look at them and make sure they aren't tangled up together too bad, straighten them and proceed. they look shiny new afterwards :) haven't had a problem with any coming apart or the machine being hard on them

Sarah and Romeo  – (April 6, 2010 at 2:44 PM)  

Oh! and I always let mine air dry, just don't want them getting all balled up and nasty. you could always put a fan on them. I just lay mine all out on the dryer and they dry fine that way, don't smell either after that.

Ally and Eclipse  – (April 6, 2010 at 2:45 PM)  

I don't know how I would wash a collar now, although I'd probably toss it in the washer and then dryer. I know when we took Iverson to the beach we washed his collar in the washer with his jacket to get the salt water off. I'm not sure that will fully take away the smell though. Maybe you should look into a plastic based collar for her walks/dog park fun when there's puddles for her to jump in as they won't stink. Here's a website for reference http://www.gundogsupply.com/glodogcollars.html Love Tuesday Topics!

Sarah and the Pack.  – (April 6, 2010 at 2:56 PM)  

I just throw mine in the washer and then the dryer. I like to throw them in with heavy towels and/or blankets so they don't clag around as much. Never had a problem with any collar going through the wash (and we wash a TON of different collars here at work). Drying doesn't affect the metal plate at at all and you are left with a clean smelling collar!

Good luck!

Heather and Kelly  – (April 6, 2010 at 3:17 PM)  

I clean Ellie's collar really often--just using the sink and dishsoap then air drying it. But then, I've never had a problem with stinky collars!

When she is inside the house and there's no danger of her getting out, I just take it off. This keeps it pretty body oil free and keeps her neck way more comfortable and the fur under it healthier, because she doesn't always have something pushing down on it.

Everyone has their own opinions about it, but I've been doing it for a long time.
If you didn't feel comfortable doing that, you could always just take off the wet collar when you come in from your walk and replace it with a dry one and let the other dry.
It's good to see Tuesday Topics back!

Cassie & The Dogs  – (April 6, 2010 at 3:56 PM)  

I throw them in with the laundry. I put them in a sock to reduce that awful banging sound. All tags are on a "tag keeper" that I can easily take off (nice with a pet to change collars) with no problems.

They also make plastic water collars for just that stinkin' reason!

Hobbes Dogs  – (April 6, 2010 at 4:59 PM)  

I'm so happy you posted another Tuesday topic! After your 1.5 year post I was remembering how I would always look forward to reading your Tuesday posts at lunch between classes last year.

I don't wash collars/leashes/etc that often ... about as often as I wash the dogs I guess - which is just whenever they're dirty (varies by dog and by time of year). I usually just throw them in the washer and dryer - never had any problems, and this is what we do at work as well.

Beth and Alfie  – (April 6, 2010 at 5:40 PM)  

I have no helpful input on this topic -- but doesn't Cabana look BEAUTIFUL!!

Katrin  – (April 6, 2010 at 5:50 PM)  

I've found that oxyclean works very well, also works for Sd and SDIt patches and vests to get them clean without damaging anything.

L^2  – (April 6, 2010 at 6:09 PM)  

I don't have to wash collars too often, but I've never had a problem with either cleaning method I use.
Sometimes - if they need a lot of scrubbing to get clean - I hand wash them in the sink (or right in the bathtub with the dirty dog) and air dry them on my clothes line or in front of a fan. But if they're not too bad I just throw them in with the laundry - I like to put them in a pillow case or this small cloth bag I have so they won't get tangled/caught on anything while in the washer. Plus, that helps cut down on the noise of them tumbling around in the dryer.

Carrie and Waffle  – (April 6, 2010 at 6:22 PM)  

We just put them in the washer and let them sun dry. We like the tag keeper, because Waffle likes to change her collars with the seasons ;). She also likes to rub and roll in the grass on walks in a effort to take off her halti, so she tends to soil/wear out collars so we find ourselves replacing them before they get too stinky.

Besides a girl can't have just one outfit.

Erin  – (April 6, 2010 at 6:48 PM)  

I throw mine in the washer and then put them in the dryer with the others.. Texas has a leather one so it doesn't stink. :)

Katlynn and Ryder  – (April 6, 2010 at 7:06 PM)  

I try to wash all my dog leashes, collars, halti's etc.. every few months I put them all into the washer and i have no problems with the GDB collar plate getting scratched, I usually don't try to GDB collar I let it air dry! I hope this helps!!

Shelly :)  – (April 6, 2010 at 10:07 PM)  

You could always add some vinegar to the wash to help take out the "smell". :)

Sierra Rose  – (April 7, 2010 at 2:18 PM)  

Hmmmmm! We do the same...soak in the sink with a little detergent.
Will read the other comments!!!
Great post!

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

Lisa and pups  – (April 8, 2010 at 5:44 PM)  

I generally wash mine in the dishwasher. I don't have one with a plate on it though. I have martingale collars because that is what the KSDS teams wear. I use the dishwasher to eliminate the clanging in the washer/dryer. I've always had great success.

Ro  – (April 10, 2010 at 8:16 AM)  

Yay I was waiting for a Martingale comment and I got my wish right at the end hehe! Sooooo good to know!! Thank you!! Thank you Mimi for asking this question. I never would have thought to ask it. Well, I probably would have when Jayden's collar started to stink haha!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP