Fort FUN-ston

cabana's head peeking over the back seat with her head resting on it, you can see the highway in the rear window behind herYesterday, I had a few errands to run in San Francisco, and Cabana came with me. Lately, I have been keeping one of Cabana's many beds in the back of the car. She likes riding back there with plenty of room to luxuriate. Here, Cabana is looking at me as if to say, "We've been in this car for an awfully long time. Where in the world are we going?" I snapped this photo of her by just aimlessly holding the camera up while driving.

cabana smiling and walking on a sandy terrain with the ocean in the distance behind her, there's a bird flying overhead in a beautiful blue skyRecently, some fellow dog owners told me about a "dog park heaven" in San Francisco. So of course, we had to check it out. I would say their description was accurate!

lots of sand covered trails mixed with clumps of vegetation, ahead of us is a woman with six dogs in various degrees of proximity to herFort Funston is a HUGE network of sand dune covered trails (over 35 acres) that overlook the Pacific Ocean. Almost all of Fort Funston is open to off-leash dogs, so it really is a dog's Disneyland! In this photo, the woman ahead of us is walking 6 dogs! It seemed like even more when I was following her, but the photo only shows 6. There were a lot of professional dog walkers there, with leashes all over them, walking multiple quantities of dogs at a time. They seem to know which ones need to stay leashed, which ones can wander at will, which ones need to be called often and coaxed to stay nearby.

cabana walking towards me on the opposite side of a cement path, same sandy terrain with clumps of green and dried grass scattered aboutOn the other side of this ridge behind Cabana, is a cliff with a drop-off down to the ocean. Yikes! (There's a lot more of a ledge, though, than there appears to be in the photo--it's deceptive.) We didn't go too close to the edge, since there are signs warning about the possibility of humans and dogs falling off the side and landing on the beach below. This made me realize how far Cabana has come in being reliable off-leash. Even though Fort Funston is HUGE, she never wandered too far from me and came whenever I called. She sometimes had to finish sniffing something for a few seconds before she came to me, but I felt confident of her response, albeit slightly delayed.

cabana sitting on the sand, with her mouth slightly open and tongue showing, she is panting a bit and looks happy, the Pacific Ocean is just beyond the edge of the sandy cliffIt was a gorgeous day with no fog, a rarity in San Francisco. My only regret was that we only had about 30 minutes to enjoy it all! I had something else scheduled, and traffic made us get there later than anticipated. Next time, I'm going to block out a good 3-4 hours, so we can walk the whole way down to the beach.

Heather and Kelly  – (May 13, 2010 at 9:38 AM)  

What a gorgeous place! Looks like a ton of fun for a dog...and a great view for the humans.

Katrin  – (May 13, 2010 at 9:39 AM)  

That's great about your recalls! And WOW that beach looks fantastic! Around here dogs are only allowed on the beaches off season.

Ms. ~K  – (May 13, 2010 at 10:14 AM)  

Oh, I do love SF!!!! What a great doggy park, thanks for sharing these great photos!
Hugs and belly rubs to sweet Cabana,
Kit and Pups

L^2  – (May 13, 2010 at 2:05 PM)  

Ooh, that looks like a fantastic place for both dogs and humans!

Brandon - The dog with a blog  – (May 13, 2010 at 4:55 PM)  

Wow, love that place!
I'd love to take me dogs there :)

The Adventures of the LLB Gang  – (May 13, 2010 at 7:57 PM)  

What a great place for both you and Cabana to unwind!!

Sarah and the Pack.  – (May 13, 2010 at 8:24 PM)  

Wow! If I am ever in SF with Marley or Hugo we will have to make a stop. That looks like a BLAST!

Dexter  – (May 14, 2010 at 4:36 AM)  

I have a bed in the back of my mastiff mobile too. Makes for added comfort on long journeys. Hey, watch out for the cliff! I know how you labradogs get crazy when you see water.

Slobbers,
Mango

Maggie Mae and Max  – (May 14, 2010 at 5:00 PM)  

Dog park heaven is right! No wonder you want to go back.

Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae

Sierra Rose  – (May 15, 2010 at 10:28 PM)  

We love the Fort Funston area! Haven't taken SR there, but did with our older golden, Honey. Great spot. Glad you hit a nice sunny day! Love seeing Cabana off leash.

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP