One Dog is Enough

our grey tabby cat Angie and yellow Lab Cabana laying on opposite sides of our queen bed with a white comforter and blue pillowsI appreciated all the valuable input on my last post, regarding whether to get a second dog. It amazed me how many bloggers have (or have had) multiple dogs, which made me realize I'm not alone in my canine craziness! It was a hard decision, though, because I had gotten somewhat attached to a potential dog on Petfinder. It's astounding how quickly you can bond to a photo and a one paragraph description.

But we decided now is not the right time for us to add another dog to our family. Our cat Angie is over 15-years old, and although she's doing well with Cabana, we felt we should let her live out her senior years in relative peace. Also, our older daughter will be going to college in a year, and with that will come financial changes, as well as lots of travel, depending on where she ends up. Those financial changes may also lead to a job change for me, maybe one that doesn't allow me to work from home.

For now, I'll continue to work on obedience with Cabana--I'm still hoping she'll become a therapy dog or a reading buddy for children. Of course, she'll still get plenty of playtime with canine buddies at the park, with occasional sleepovers from Guide Dog or friends' puppysittees. In July, we're looking forward to a long puppysitting visit from GDB puppy, Dagan! So for now, I think we're getting the best of both the one-dog and two-dog worlds.

In the meantime, I will NOT allow myself to look at Petfinder. Cripes, that's going to take some major willpower.

JacksDad  – (June 17, 2010 at 11:32 AM)  

I discovered the same thing a while back - I had to stop looking at the local animal shelter website. And I don't even have a daughter heading off to college!

On the other hand, wonderful picture today!

Erin  – (June 17, 2010 at 11:45 AM)  

Yes NEVER look at Petfinder!!!!!!!
Or rescue sites.
Or shelter sites.
Or guide dog sites that have baby puppies!

Good luck!
Erin
Owner/Caretaker of Four

Maggie Mae and Max  – (June 17, 2010 at 12:35 PM)  

My mom and me is trying to convince my dad that I need a brudder or a sister, so until he says yes she has to stay away from all of those pet sites too. Oh well...

Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae

Ms. ~K  – (June 17, 2010 at 2:40 PM)  

Wow, what a great photo!
I had to stop volunteering at the local shelter... brought home Buddy one my ast day at the shelter!
~K

Sierra Rose  – (June 17, 2010 at 3:17 PM)  

We love your decision!! Perhaps there will be a time in the future, and for now, all the joy of having guest doggie sleepovers, will be just that more fantastic! We're in the 'hold' pattern too.

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

Becky Andrews  – (June 17, 2010 at 7:41 PM)  

Okay, you don't look on pet finder and I won't go into Ann Taylor for a while! They both can pull you in! Sounds like you feel good about your decision and wow, changes coming up.

Kari in Alaska  – (June 18, 2010 at 8:34 AM)  

its a very hard decision to make for sure!

Lisa and pups  – (June 18, 2010 at 6:15 PM)  

Glad you made a decision that was best for you!

Dexter  – (June 20, 2010 at 4:05 AM)  

Oh yes, you will need to stay away from Petfinder and the likes. But therapy dog is a great goal. I have no doubt you will get there.

Slobbers,
mango

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP