Chicky-Pops or Veggie-Sicles

Here's a fun summer dog treat idea from my friend Peg. Using chicken broth, plain yogurt, and small recycled plastic containers, Peg makes Chicky-Pops, which are like popsicles for dogs. Since my family is vegetarian, I didn't have any chicken broth on hand, so I substituted vegetable broth and made them in ice cube trays.

all the ingredients laid out on my kitchen counterObserve the necessary fixin's--vegetable (or chicken) broth, a container of plain yogurt, some kibble or other treat/meat (optional), a mixing bowl, and ice cube trays. Mine are cute fishy and star shaped trays from Ikea. Someday, I hope to get a bone shaped tray, but alas, these will have to suffice for now.

a lime green silicone ice cube tray with the receptacles in the shape of swirly stars, each with 3-4 pieces of kibble insidePut a few pieces of kibble into each receptacle.

translucent white mixing bowl with white concoction in it and a spoonMix broth and yogurt in mixing bowl. It doesn't really matter how much of each you use, but I used equal parts broth and yogurt.

blue and green ice cube trays filled to the brim with the concoctionCarefully fill your ice cube tray. Now comes the hardest part of this recipe--find a nice flat spot in your freezer. Followed by another ridiculously difficult task--carry the filled tray over to the freezer without spilling.

cabana laying on the wood floor of my kitchen, looking up sweetly at the cameraWait a few hours for veggie-sicles to harden. Try, if you are able, to wait as patiently as Cabana, who is completely unaware of the tastiness to come.

cabana in a sit outside on cement patio, looking longingly at the frozen fish cube from a short distance awayAfter the veggie-sicles have frozen, before serving, take this opportunity to practice a bit of obedience. Cabana is very good at "wait".

cabana with her head low and mouth open as she eats the frozen treatRelease your dog and allow her to gobble down. I took Cabana outside to eat her veggie-sicle, but since it only took 2 seconds to eat, next time I won't be concerned about it making a melty mess on the floor.

close up of cabana with mouth open as she chews the frozen treat, eyes are slightly closed, ears hung low, she looks almost like she's about to sneezeBut warn your dog not to eat it too fast, or she might get a brain freeze!

top of cabana's head, there's a little drop of black on the top of her golden headFYI, if you noticed a dark spot on the top of Cabana's head, it's not dirt or a tick. The dark spot happens to be the same color as my hair--the EXACT same color. The other day, I was coloring my hair (gotta cover those pesky greys) and Cabana came over and sat at my feet. I think the rest is self-explanatory.

Heather and Kelly  – (June 19, 2010 at 8:15 PM)  

Those look delicious! I must say, the biggest challenge for me would definitely be finding the spot in my freezer for a tray! But they do look so tasty we might have to give it a try :)

Lauren  – (June 19, 2010 at 10:15 PM)  

That looks like such a great treat for a dog!! I love those ice cube trays, they're so cute. Cabana is adorable eating her special treat. What a lucky girl!! I'll have to make those sometime.

Maggie Mae and Max  – (June 20, 2010 at 4:41 AM)  

Oh yes, those do looks like very tasty treats. I will have to ask my mom to makes them for me. I likes to eat ice cubes so I knows all about the brain freeze!

Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae

Ms. ~K  – (June 20, 2010 at 8:04 AM)  

Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe!
That color looks good on Cabana, but remind her, blondes have more fun!!! (from Sassy)

Two Little Cavaliers  – (June 20, 2010 at 11:54 AM)  

Thanks for joining the blog hop. Those look like great treats for very special dogs. Hope you have a fantastic weekend.

Felissa, Davinia, and Indiana
www.twolittlecavaliers.blogspot.com

JacksDad  – (June 20, 2010 at 4:11 PM)  

Well, no. I think we deserve an explanation! :)

Raiser Erin  – (June 20, 2010 at 8:56 PM)  

I'll have to try those with my dog Arwen. I like the colour on Cabana, but I think her natural colour is better. Tell her that she's not an old dog yet.

Denise  – (June 21, 2010 at 12:14 PM)  

I've just done kibble and water so Cabana is making out big time compared to my girls.

grace  – (June 21, 2010 at 8:46 PM)  

poor cabana, forced to wait for that black speck to grow out. . . it's very black, have you dyed your hair too dark again?? i hope you are not re-using those ice cube trays for humans. . . .

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP