Handmade Dog Collar

pretty picture of Cabana in our garden, wearing a brown collar with pink and green accents
Here's Cabana, sporting the new collar I made for her today. Making a dog collar is instant gratification--a fast, easy project that you can customize for your individual dog's size and coloring. I'm formatting the instructions, with step-by-step photos, into a downloadable PDF so you can make one, too. I hope to post it in the next day or two, so keep an eye out for it!

Katrin  – (June 20, 2010 at 7:14 PM)  

That is gorgeous! You are very talented!

Becky Andrews  – (June 20, 2010 at 7:21 PM)  

Cabana, you are a lucky, stylish girl. Are you going to sell those Mimi for those of us who are a little sewing impaired?

Heather and Kelly  – (June 20, 2010 at 7:33 PM)  

What a pretty collar! I love making collars--it's the buckles, d-rings, webbing etc that are hard to find!

I too have thought about a tutorial on how to make dog collars, since it is incredibly easy and WAY cheaper than buying one just like it. I've seen collars just like the one you make for Cabana going for $20+.

If you look at pictures of Cheyenne, you can see that the collar she is wearing right now is actually one that I made--when I visited Colorado I went to a fabric shop that had incredible ribbons and right next door there was a hardware store that sells very high-quality webbing and buckles. So I bought 9' of ribbon with the birdies that you see on Shy's collar, and made a collar and leash set. It came out very nice--and way way cheaper than buying it from a doggie boutique!

I especially like the quality of ribbon. It's sold by Renaissance Ribbons (renaissanceribbons.com) and they have a bunch of beautiful patterns. What I found disappointing is that they only sell wholesale from their website and you have to put down $150 on top of your whole order.....so it's out of the question I'm ordering from them! But there are other places online selling their ribbons, they aren't too hard to find.

I absolutely LOVE putting fancy collars on my dogs--I'm just one of those people :) Less interested in dressing myself nice, but if my dog has a dirty collar then it's going to be washed and changed to a different one. ;)
I have more collar and leash sets than I need...that's for sure!

Cassie & The Dogs  – (June 20, 2010 at 8:47 PM)  

So cute!! Wish Dagan could wear something so super cute!

Erin  – (June 20, 2010 at 9:20 PM)  

It looks great! Would love to see a tutorial!

Lauren  – (June 20, 2010 at 11:01 PM)  

That collar looks so pretty on Cabana! I wish Don could wear one of those adorable collars. They are so nice, I'll probably make some for my friends. Looking forward to the instructions!! Thanks for sharing.

JacksDad  – (June 20, 2010 at 11:05 PM)  

Stop being so talented - it's not fair to the rest of us! :)

Love the picture!!

Dexter  – (June 21, 2010 at 3:08 AM)  

Can I come and live with you? I would love a pretty collar, but sadly few come in 30 inch size.

That is a stunning photo of a beautiful gal.

Slobbers,
Mango

Ms. ~K  – (June 21, 2010 at 3:22 AM)  

We love it!
Licks and sniffs,
Zack, Sassy and Buddy

Beth and Alfie  – (June 21, 2010 at 8:42 AM)  

How beautiful...and so creative! What a special & lucky girl Cabana is.

OSU 98  – (June 21, 2010 at 9:50 AM)  

SUPER CUTE! I keep thinking I need to find a cute little collar for Chelly Bean. But as long as Ace grabs her tags and pulls her around by the tags...I am thinking I might have to wait. Ace is stuck with hand me downs until he is a big boy and stops growing...

Sarah and Romeo  – (June 21, 2010 at 4:19 PM)  

So neat! You look soo pretty, Cabana :)

ingrid  – (June 22, 2010 at 6:47 PM)  

Oh my goodness your dog is GORGEOUS.
Excuse the intrusion onto your blog, but I saw your little avatar photo on another blog and had to click through for a better look.
What a beautiful, beautiful lab!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP