Adjustable Dog Collar Tutorial

four handmade dog collars in a variety of colorsHey hey, my tutorial for handmade dog collars is ready! Click here to view and download. This is my first tutorial, so I welcome constructive feedback. If there's anything that is unclear or something I've left out, please feel free to let me know. The instructions are rather detailed, maybe too much information?

Included in the tutorial is information on where to buy supplies. However, the source I listed does require you to purchase in bulk (packs of 10).

Update: You can get a "kit" (buckle, d-ring, triglide) at www.cdwplus.com. Their prices are very reasonable, and they come in several colors. Thanks for the tip, Emily!

Heather and Kelly  – (June 21, 2010 at 9:02 PM)  

It's a fantastic tutorial!! Well done!!

Just today I realized that I can use fabric instead of ribbon (why not before? I see you did... :) ) and made Shy a purple collar because the other one just didn't look right on her.

But also I'm hoping to find a fabric store that has some pink ribbon (she seems like a pink/purple kind of dog) but we have a lousy selection of fabric stores where I live, the closest one is over 45 minutes away (excluding Jo-Anns, which my doesn't really have any patterned ribbons that the pattern is actually woven in. They're all just painted on....). I think I prefer ribbon to fabric because it's probably sturdier in the long run, although you do have less choices. Plus, ribbon is way easier to sew on because you don't have to turn under the edges! Ok, I'm rambling :)

You might suggest on your tutorial that if people don't want to buy supplies for more than one collar, they can go to a pet store and buy a collar that's a little longer than they need and just cut the stitched parts off, sew the ribbon on the nylon, then sew the parts back on. This is a great way if you have a color you really want and can't find webbing for it.

Again, great job on the tutorial! And it came just at a the right time when I've been inspired to make lots of dog collars, too :)

Lacey  – (June 22, 2010 at 1:15 AM)  

This is great! I'm impressed that you took the time and had the patience to write this out.

I would love to make my own collars. Unfortunately, I don't think my sewing machine could handle it and a new machine is not at the top of the list of things I need to buy. Someday . . .

Beth and Alfie  – (June 22, 2010 at 8:14 AM)  

Wow, I haven't sewn anything for...let's see, at least a couple years...and reading your tutorial made the project sound fun & do-able! Now if I could only find a bit of time! You're such an inspiration. :-)

Emily and the Labradors  – (June 22, 2010 at 8:51 PM)  

Very nice tutorial! Your method is slightly different then mine I think, or perhaps just in a slightly different order.

I order my webbing and buckles from http://www.cdwplus.com/ which has no minimum purchase. I really like their curved buckles, and they have pink!

I have never seen ribbons as pretty as the ones you have... but maybe I am not looking hard enough!

Infrequent Flyers  – (June 23, 2010 at 6:27 AM)  

Emily, thanks for telling me about CDWPlus! They have brown buckles, too! I might have to get some of those.

Lauren  – (June 23, 2010 at 12:39 PM)  

That is a great tutorial, with fantastic pictures and instructions! I'm looking forward to making some of those. Thanks for sharing this fun project.

Emily and the Labradors  – (June 23, 2010 at 5:41 PM)  

Yes! The brown and blue buckles are new since I ordered last... guess what I ordered last night? ;) Got some more webbing too...

Nikki  – (March 31, 2012 at 11:38 AM)  

I can seem to get to the tutorial, did you take it down? I just got two new pups and would love to make them some collars. Can you email me? Castleraisins@live.com

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP