Not Scared of the Rocket's Red Glare

...or of bombs bursting in air!

cabana sitting against a night sky
Last night, we took Cabana with us to see the fireworks, which may be somewhat controversial. However, we didn't go far from our house, and if Cabana seemed at all uncomfortable, I figured we'd just abort and go home. I suspected that she would be fine with them because she doesn't startle easily to sudden or loud noises.

cabana looking at camera with her eyes glowing from the flash, red firecracker light in the background behind herSure enough, Cabana was completely unaffected by the fireworks. She thought it was quite exciting to be outside, sitting in the dark with all of us. We weren't super close to the fireworks, and that probably helped her comfort level, too. Too bad my photos are so lousy! This was the best of the bunch.

Hope your dogs and animals fared okay through the holiday!

Becky Andrews  – (July 5, 2010 at 8:12 AM)  

Glad you enjoyed the fireworks! Pantera (first guide)was never phased by the fireworks. Cricket's first experience with fireworks was at the Holiday Bowl football game - had no idea they were going to set them off after every touchdown! After her climbing on my lap, I spent the second half in an enclosed area where she didn't have to feel so close to them. She wasn't bothered at all by them last night from the comfort and safety of our deck.

Cassie & The Dogs  – (July 5, 2010 at 8:42 AM)  

Yeah!! I'm glad she enjoyed going! Knowing your dog is so important in deciding to take your dog to see them. I'd love to take my dogs down with me to the beach for fireworks. But, GDB rules say no. We left the goldens at the house so the labs had dogs that didn't care at home with them.

Lisa and pups  – (July 5, 2010 at 10:34 AM)  

Way to go Cabana - what a brave girl! And, you got to be with your family which is even better! Glad you enjoyed the celebrations!

Maggie Mae and Max  – (July 5, 2010 at 2:30 PM)  

Yay for you Cabana! I luvs the picture of you with the red boomers in the background sky.

Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae

JacksDad  – (July 5, 2010 at 2:39 PM)  

Oh I think the photos are great! It's so hard to get a good picture outside in the dark! AND you even got the fireworks too!

Good job!

Mitch and Julimae  – (July 5, 2010 at 5:58 PM)  

I know what you mean by controversial... I'm glad Cabana was ok.

Beth and Alfie  – (July 6, 2010 at 8:08 AM)  

It's true, every dog reacts so differently to fireworks. We went downtown (w/o Alfie) to watch fireworks and saw many dogs there...some happy and relaxed, some clearly not. Nice you don't have to worry about Cabana! :)

D.K. Wall  – (July 7, 2010 at 4:24 AM)  

The only controversial part for me is seeing a dog who is NOT enjoying the fireworks being forced to endure them. Some dogs are fine and some are not. As owners, our responsibility is to the dogs, so since she enjoyed it - great (P.S. and I would expect that accepting noises would be a requirement for a working dog anyway).

Golden Samantha  – (July 7, 2010 at 9:56 AM)  

Hi Cabana! Boy have we been MIA lately - so sorries! Have thought of you quite a bit as we've been headed to the beaches west of Petaluma lately and I lost your ###! I wanted to call!
You are such an amazing doggeh, girl! Those fireworks sure look purty behind you - I think these are cool pix! I'll bet you had fun with your family!
Big Hugs xoxoxo
Sammie

Hope we can connect soon - Avalon gets her last shots around the 20th July - yay!

ingrid  – (July 10, 2010 at 10:30 AM)  

That's awesome. I wonder what it is that makes some dogs indifferent while others are terrified.
My girl is now pretty much frightened to outside at all. Not only are we very close to Penn's Landing where they have the annual professional fireworks show, but it's south philly - pretty much everyone has fireworks. So between the noise and the horrible heat, my girl has not been happy. Glad to see that some pup somewhere was enjoying the show!

Lauren  – (July 11, 2010 at 11:53 PM)  

What a brave girl you are, Cabana! That must've been really fun, getting to celebrate with your family.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP