Tuesday Topics #32 - Runny Nose in Car

cabana smiling while sitting on her green dog bed in the back of the car with door open, her bed has a channeled bolster around three edges, making it a bit like a mini couchCabana gets the most comfortable spot in our car. We keep her bolster bed in the back of our Toyota Rav4, where she can lay down or look out the back window. Is it any wonder that Cabana loves going for rides? We humans huddle up in the front, along with the groceries, book bags, and other paraphernalia, while Cabana luxuriates in the rear with the whole seat to herself! (This bolster bed was a $3 find at SCRAP.)

angled view of cabana in the car, with lush green fields viewed through the windowsBut I've noticed for some time now that when we get home and I go to get Cabana out of the back, she often has a runny nose. Just a droplet or two of thin clear fluid. I don't think her nose is runny at other times, and it doesn't continue to run after we've come into the house.

Could it be because of changes in temperature (hot outside, air conditioning in car)? Or could it be stress-related? She doesn't seem at all stressed in the car, so it would really surprise me if it was stress. I might think it was related to exertion, like after running around at a dog park--but I haven't paid enough attention to know if that's always the correlation. For instance, we might just have come back from picking the kids up at school where she didn't even get out of the car.

She doesn't have any other symptoms of being sick, and it seems to happen sporadically over the course of the past year or more. Does this happen with your dogs? Any ideas about the cause?

OSU 98  – (August 24, 2010 at 10:14 AM)  

I have never noticed a runny nose with Chelly or Ace...but I will be looking at their noses in the car now, for sure!

SHEESH CABANA...you ride in the lap of luxury. I wish I had a couch in the back of the car to ride in while someone drove me around!!!

Katrin  – (August 24, 2010 at 10:39 AM)  

Sometimes my dog's nose runs like that and it's never been anything of a concern for me and nothing has ever come of it. I never really thought to worry about it or really think about it before. Don't think I will start now :-)

Infrequent Flyers  – (August 24, 2010 at 10:56 AM)  

Katrin, I wouldn't say I'm worried about the runny nose, more just curious about why it happens.

Ally and Eclipse  – (August 24, 2010 at 11:30 AM)  

I always thought it was stress related but I just did a quick web search and it says that they liquid is actually a mucus that disolves chemicals from the air so they can be absorbed into the skin of the nose and be "smelled". It could be that there are many more smells in the car and their noses go into a kind of "overload". I think that it could be contributed by stress as well, but the mucus thing makes a lot of sense! :-D

Katrin  – (August 24, 2010 at 12:07 PM)  

Oh as to why I believe it is just from small irritations that get in the nose. Such as dirt, or some other small particle. James does it quite frequently, more so than I notice my other dogs doing it. I also notice he does it more when he's getting hot so body temperature compared to outside temperature could have something to with it. Just making a guess.

Natalie  – (August 24, 2010 at 12:19 PM)  

Bob and Egypt are just like that. My PR manager Michelle said that nose moistness is associated with eye movement so I think when they rest or for a while and then get up immediately and get all excited about getting out of the car it makes them run.. If it is clear and thin though don't worry about it - when it changes color and gets thick then its time to do something. I'll ask specifically what the little mechanism is and get back to you ;)

Natalie  – (August 24, 2010 at 12:26 PM)  

This is what she said when I texted her "Eye motion causes wet noses. Dry nose usually means the dog is asleep and not dreaming or awake and not focussing."

JacksDad  – (August 24, 2010 at 12:33 PM)  

Some people say it's mucus, but it's not :)

Beth and Alfie  – (August 24, 2010 at 1:29 PM)  

Interesting! I've no real idea why, tho Michelle's explanation makes sense. I do agree, Cabana's lucky! Alfie loves car rides too, and come to think of it, his nose is always wet when we get where we're going.

Kari in Alaska  – (August 24, 2010 at 2:52 PM)  

Im still jealous you found those beds for so cheap.

Don't forget, we moved to http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

Raiser Erin  – (August 24, 2010 at 8:55 PM)  

I don't really have any idea what causes it, but Rocco's nose runs all the time.

That's a great set up that Cabana has there!

Martha G  – (August 25, 2010 at 1:06 PM)  

I had to adjust the air conditioning in the house yesterday and noticed Ardella's nose was running. Both Ardella and Madeline get runny noses in the car, especially if they are near a vent. In the house, both dogs will lie on top of the air conditioning vents, so I think air conditioning does contribute to a runny nose. My nose runs, too, come to think of it.

I love the 3-dollar bed!

Ro  – (August 27, 2010 at 2:21 PM)  

It's really good to find out the bit about a dry nose during resting. GDB told us a dog's nose is normally cool and wet so when Jayden's nose is dry when he's resting, I worry haha! But now I know why. Jayden's nose drips a lot when I'm at Saavi working out. Lisa is always telling me there's little drips on the floor under him. Now it makes sense, because he watches my every move there even though he's laying down. I learn so much from Tuesday Topics! Thanks Mimi and Natalie!

Becky Andrews  – (August 27, 2010 at 5:38 PM)  

Cabana - such a life you lead. That is a comfy place to ride around in! Interesting about the nose and to read everyone's comments. I had no idea and will be noticing Cricker's now.

Sierra Rose  – (August 30, 2010 at 11:51 AM)  

Hi ya Cabana!
Interesting responses! Was wondering about the fabric or cushion inside...don't think that would be it. Looks like a plush pad you have there in the car!!

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP