Beach Birthday Babylon

two lane road flanked by a grove of redwoods on both sidesOur coastal regions are almost always foggy, but I wanted to go to the beach on my birthday, regardless of the weather, so Cabana and I took the 40-minute drive to the off-leash beach. We drove through quiet groves of redwoods, past lots of open space and pasture land.

sandwich sign in front of a red and white parking/ticket booth, crude letters spelling out no pit bulls allowedWhen we got to the parking area, where it costs a ridiculous $7.00 to park, I saw this sign. The guy in the booth asked if I had a dog with me and what breed it was. I asked if they'd had recent trouble with a pit bull, and he said yes. If the trouble had been with a Labrador or a golden retriever, I wondered if they would have dared to put up a sign saying "NO LABS OR GOLDENS ALLOWED". Wouldn't that seem totally wrong? To me, it doesn't seem any less wrong to discriminate against pit bulls.

cabana running toward the camera with the ocean behind her, her ears are blown way up so you can almost see down both ear canals, the fur around her neck and chest seems to be standing all the way out sort of like a lions maneAfter getting out of the car, Cabana turned into this strange creature. She's barely recognizable!!

cabana running on a kelp and seaweed covered beach, a few people standing in the background, cabana's cheeks are bulged out on both sidesBehind some rocks, Cabana found a whole bully stick! I don't know why someone would give their dog a bully stick at the beach, or even more so, why a dog would ever abandon it. In the photo above, you can kind of see the bully stick crosswise in Cabana's mouth. She kept her distance from me for the next 20 minutes, worried that I would take it away from her (which I probably would have). I was just glad that she stayed close enough for me to see what it was and that she didn't choke herself by running and chewing at the same time.

cabana running blissfully through the water away from the camera with waves breaking just beyond herCabana doesn't mind getting wet, but she never goes in too deep. She may be a water dog, but she's not a swimming dog. She prefers chasing and being chased by the waves.

cabana and a chocolate lab sniffing at each others necks, walking in a circleThere weren't many other people/dogs there, but we did meet this chocolate lab. A few seconds after I took this photo, the chocolate lab vomited. In his pile of barf, there were about 5-10 mysterious pink pellet-shaped objects...strange. To my horror, while I was still trying to figure out what the pellets could possibly be, Cabana gobbled up the vomit, pink pellets and all. I worried that they were medicine or heaven only knows what, but whatever they were, Cabana seemed unaffected by them.

cabana facing away from the camera on the beach, with three golden cairn terriers running up to meet her, i think they are cairn terriers, they look like the dog toto in Wizard of OzAfter passing the chocolate lab and gobbling up his vomit, we crossed paths with these little guys. Adorable!

pulled back view of cabana standing on the edge of the water with wide expanse of empty beach all around, some hills and houses way back in the distanceBut mostly, we had the whole place to ourselves.

cabana sitting on the sand, looking out at the ocean, mounds of kelp and seaweed are all over the sand, they sky is very grey from the fogCabana's birthday is on Tuesday. Maybe we'll have to spend Cabana's birthday at the beach, too!

Anonymous –   – (October 3, 2010 at 12:42 PM)  

That looks wonderfully peaceful!

JacksDad  – (October 3, 2010 at 1:04 PM)  

It's so nice that you have a place like that close so you can go.

Except for the vomit that is :(

Erin  – (October 3, 2010 at 2:11 PM)  

OMG that would have SO BEEN POMPEI. *gags*
But sounds like fun despite!! Labs and their Iron Stomachs. *sigh*

Lisa and pups  – (October 3, 2010 at 5:49 PM)  

Happy early birthday to Cabana. And, it looks like you guys had a blast at the dog beach! Wish we had one here!

Mandy and Supreme  – (October 3, 2010 at 6:42 PM)  

just wanted to say that I read the vomit-incident part out loud to my mom and we both laughed until we cried. Good job, Cabana.

Carrie and Waffle  – (October 3, 2010 at 9:41 PM)  

you know its a good party when there is vomit involved! I love how she avoided you while she had her prize in her mouth - smarty-sneaky pants!

Kari in Alaska  – (October 5, 2010 at 4:23 PM)  

I have to say, after reading the sign about pit bulls I stopped reading your post :(


Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP