Yellow Coat and Paracord Collars

cabana standing in our driveway in the rain, wearing a yellow and grey raincoatOur January has been cold and rainy--but I'm not complaining, since I know most of the United States is covered in snow and facing difficult weather. In preparation for our rainy winter, I bought Cabana this yellow raincoat at Target a few months ago. My family members scoffed at me when I showed it to them, saying dogs don't NEED raincoats. But she's like a bright ray of sunshine when she wears it, and for that reason alone, it's worth every cent. In this photo, Cabana looks a bit unhappy because she's squinting at me through the raindrops, but she seems to enjoy wearing the raincoat. At least she never protests when I put it on her. Today, she wore her yellow coat over her yellow coat while we walked for two hours in the pouring rain! It was actually kind of fun.

I've been making some paracord collars. Paracord comes in a vast assortment of colors. I purchased mine from this eBay seller.

woven or knotted dog collar in red and tanCabana has worn this two-tone collar a few times. That's why, if you look closely, you can see dirt on it. Oops.

paracord dog collar in tanBut after making the two-tone collar, I realized I prefer the purity and simplicity of a solid color.

paracord dog collar in tealThis teal collar is for Amie, and the red one below is for Kona. Both are brindle colored dogs, and I think these bright solid colors will look great on their dark fur.

paracord dog collar in redIf you'd like to try making a collar like these, the instructions can be found on this blog. The instructions are for a bracelet, though, so I doubled the length of the paracord and used a 3/4" buckle and small d-ring. The knotting itself is very quick and easy (20-40 minutes for a collar), but it does take a little practice and sewing knowledge to attach the buckle at the end.

cabana shown from the back of her head, wearing the two tone red and tan collarAlso, because these collars are not adjustable, you have to make sure to get an exact fit for your dog. And depending on the tension you use when doing the knotting, the collar can have a lot of "give". The first time I used the collar on Cabana and attached her leash to it, it stretched about 2"! So I had to remove the buckle and "undo" some of it, then sew the buckle back on. But now it fits great.

Cassie & The Dogs  – (January 13, 2011 at 2:26 PM)  

LOVE the collar!! I so want to make one now!

Cassie & The Dogs  – (January 13, 2011 at 2:28 PM)  

Oh! And I have a new dog book for you! Have you read A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron? Get the tissues and have a seat, if you haven't already. Though, it is told by the dog like The Art of Racing in the Rain, with similar characteristics, so maybe you won't like it. :)

Beth and Alfie  – (January 13, 2011 at 7:09 PM)  

Oh Cabana you are just as cute as ever!!

And Mimi, you've always got some amazing new creation up your sleeve...WOW those collars are amazing! Love them all.

Best wishes to you both for the New Year!

D.K. Wall  – (January 13, 2011 at 7:30 PM)  

Quite styling (though we still choose the natural approach - grins).

L^2  – (January 13, 2011 at 8:00 PM)  

Love the collars!
Cabana's raincoat looks a lot like Jack's winter coat. I think he'd like that style better than the poncho-style raincoat he has.


Also, I wanted to you let you know about the Second Assistance Dog Blog Carnival which is happening soon. Post submissions are due by Midnight next Monday Jan. 17, 2011, and the theme is "Decisions". We would love to include a post from you!

Becky Andrews  – (January 13, 2011 at 8:31 PM)  

Wow. You are so creative. Cricket enjoys her fleece coat - haven't gotten a rain coat. Sounds cute in yellow.

OSU 98  – (January 14, 2011 at 6:12 AM)  

I think Cabana looks darling in her little raincoat. :)

You are so talented! The collars are really cute. I like the two toned equally as well as the solid color ones. Mine are wearing reflective collars right now because I walk them in the dark when we dont have ice and snow on the sidewalk...Ace has little dog paws on his and Chelsie has little flowers on hers.

Brandon - The dog with a blog  – (January 17, 2011 at 3:35 PM)  

Aww, I love Cabana's rain coat - so cute!
And the collars are amazing, great work!

Kari in Alaska  – (January 18, 2011 at 2:25 PM)  

Those collars look super durable... may have to try one

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

Brandon Mysliwiec  – (April 28, 2011 at 9:07 AM)  

Check out www.ParacordMaster.com they have the cheapest prices I have ever seen on Paracord and Paracord Bracelets. Great Quality Commercial 550 Paracord!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP